Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need San Juan Hotel for 1 night-pre cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will need a hotel for 1 night before boarding a ship. Looking for something nice and accessible via shuttle or taxi to the dock. We will not be going to the beach, just catching our breath before boarding a ship. Thanks for recommendations.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 02:44 PM

I would recommend Wyndham old San Juan which is right there by the pier. If being close is not a big deal & you want something special, go to the Wyndam El San Juan. We stayed there for a week & loved it. The grounds are spectacular & it is right on a beach. The down side is that it is a taxi ride to the port. We always use Priceline to get our pre-cruise hotels. Do your homework before-hand & check out biddingfortravel.com. It tells you what hotels priceline deals with & people report what they bid & what hotel they got. We did that on our last cruise to Alaska & bid $50 on Priceline for a 4* hotel in downtown Vancouver. We received the Westin Bayshore & it was incredible! Good luck!
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. The Wyndam sounds good!

But how can you determine which hotel you get on Priceline just because you bid 4 star in San Juan? Aren't there at least a few that you could end up with? Which is generally better hotwire or priceline? I would guess hotwire just because you know the price before you give your credit card #...??

Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 04:37 AM

Check with your travel agent. Oft times when booking a cruise with them they will offer you a discounted rate at hotel either prior/post cruise.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Your right, you do not have control over which hotel you get with Priceline. I made sure that I would be happy with any of the selections before I decided. If there is a hotel in a particular category that you just couldn't live with, don't choose that categroy. Go with a 4* or 3*, etc. I also monitored which hotels were coming up on biddingfortravel.com. At the time I bid for the hotel in Vancouver, the Westin Bayshore was showing up for anyone who bid around $50. A few weeks later is was a different hotel. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Morgan is absolutely correct, not only could you get a reduced rate, sometimes cruise lines offer free stays - hey it may only be for 1 night free but maybe the rest is a reduced rate offer!