Search

Priceline questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priceline questions

I have never used Priceline before, I have checked out bidding for travel.com and I have a few questions.
First, I would like to know where priceline's terms and conditions are on their website, I have looked by I haven't found them.
Also, I am from Canada I would like to know how I will be billed for a hotel room in the UK, ie, does Priceline bill me in GBP or USD.
What is a free re-bid?
Finally, when I looked at Priceline's website the bidding for hotels form is different to the form I had seen on bidding for treavel.com. Am I supposed to post rates for hotels in the same area and tell priceline which websites I got this information from? I am confused because that's what I was shown on the bidding for travel website, but Priceline's form didn't have these questions, have I done something wrong?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 12:02 PM

The information that's requested on biddingfortravel.com only applies if you would like bidding assistance/suggestions from the posters on the biddingfortravel message board. You don't have to have this information to use priceline.

If you're using the US based priceline site, you should be billed in USD.

A 'free re-bid' allows you to re-bid immediately after your initial bid has been rejected without adding another star category or changing your preferred geographical area. Priceline only allows immediate re-bids if you add additional star categories or zones to your bid. A 'free re-bid' is only possible when you know that there's one or more zones that have no hotels of your particular star category. Therefore, you get the 'free re-bid' by selecting an additional zone knowing that you could not possibly end up with a hotel in the newly added zone. Check the priceline site carefully though before adding zones. This is best way I can explain it.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 12:59 PM

At the bottom of the home page there's some info on what is or is not included in prices. Other terms & conditions will appear before you submit your bid. Priceline bids, once accepted are nonrefundable & can't be changed.

I'm not sure about the money question. You might want to ask that on biddingfortravel.com I would guess Patty is correct, if you bid on the US board you'll pay in US $, if you bid on the UK board, you'll pay in GBP.

Patty is correct about the explanation of a free re-bid which is NOT a Priceline term. This is also explained on FAQ in the hotel section on biddingfortravel. I'll attempt another explanation. Priceline doesn't allow you to automatically increase your bid (if it's rejected) at the same * level & in the same neighborhhod(s). You have to wait 72 hrs & start again. So what you can do is add another neighborhood where you know there are no properties at your * level (look at the list on biddingfortravel) increase the price & add that other neighborhood which you know you won't get.

Patty is again correct about the form. Only if you want bidding help from biddingfortravel (which is probably a good idea given it's your first time) do you need to fill out THEIR form. One thing I didn't understand was there is no real "FORM" per se. You just copy their list of questions in order with answers to each & post them as a question.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Biddingfortravel is for information only - to show you which hotels you are likely to get with which criteria and what bids other people have gotten hotels with. Once you have done your research on Biddingfortravel, then you go to Priceline and make your bid. If your bid is accepted then you have your reservation and your card will be charged. If your bid in not accepted, then you can add zones, increase the star level, and make a new bid. Otherwise you can try again after 72 hours.

As for the terms and conditions, click on Hotels at the top of the home page and in the upper right there is a link for first time users. All the info should be there.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:38 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Read the "Non-US Resident FAQ" listing on the Biddingfortravel.com "Hotel FAQ" thread. Basically, you have to make your credit card mailing address look like it's in the US, e.g., "99999" for postal (zip) code instead of the Canadian/British style.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:58 PM

<<A 'free re-bid' allows you to re-bid immediately after your initial bid has been rejected without adding another star category or changing your preferred geographical area.>>

You DO have to change at least one parameter of your bid - the quality level (star category), add a zone, change the check-in date, change the check-out date.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. Yes, you do have to change at least one of the parameters but in the case of the free re-bid (if used correctly), there's no chance of getting a hotel in that newly added zone. That's what I meant by not having to change your preferred geaographical area.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 03:57 AM

Take particular note of the US address. On a board I frequent there are many Canadians who were planning a trip to Seattle. They could not bid on Priceline themselves--got people who were stateside to make their reservations. I don't know how you can get around that.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:04 AM

As Gardyloo stated, it is possible for Canadians to bid, as long as they make their address look American. Also, most Canadian credit cards will not work. I use my American Express card and have no trouble using it.
So if you use an American zip code and an Amex card, you should be ok.