Search

Priceline

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priceline

We were thinking of using this service to hopefully get a decent deal at a resort in Orlando and one in Clearwater or area. We would like a resort but don't want to get the value disney resorts for one. Can anyone give us an idea of how this site works and any helpful hints.

Many thanks
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 12:16 PM
GoTravel

There is no way to make an educated bid on Priceline unless you spend time reading the priceline site.

Read the site.

Also spend some time and read BiddingForTravel.com and BetterBidding.com.

There is no excuse for not doing so and trying to make a bid on priceline.

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Agree with GoTravel - but I will give you a very brief synopsis.

With Priceline you pick a city, zone within that city, and "star rating". Then you bid a price you will pay - when you bid you enter credit card info - so that if bid is accepted you are committed to whatever hotel they pick for you - no cancellations, changes of mind, etc.

Hotels are guaranteed to have bedding for 2 people only. You can't pick specific room in that hotel, specific amenities of hotel.

If you can live with these rules, you may be able to save a lot of money. But really - read the sites - it is not really complicated, but you should know what you are doing.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We did read the site but wondered if it was the route for us since we are a family of 4 - 2 adults / 2 kids. Given your comments regarding only for two...is that all they cater to?? If you think we are clowns don't respond and I will get the message.

Many thanks again.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:06 AM

clowns? Why would I think you're clowns?

I recently made my first bid on Priceline and was very happy with the results. So, if you're a clown, that probably makes me one too!

The above posters are correct. Read EVERYTHING before bidding. The most important information is on Biddingfortravel.com under the heading "Hotels".

Then, go back to the place where you want to bid and check out the latest bids in that area (also in biddingfortravel.com under a different heading). You don't have a choice of hotels, but you can get a fair idea of which hotels in that particular area will be the ones responding to your bid.

Next, when you are ready to bid. Practice a bit. Which means you should start your first bid several weeks ahead of time, as there is a 72 hour wait period if your bid is unsuccessful.

Here's how I practiced. Get into Priceline. I choose a 3* (priceline's highest rating for my area), then the zone that most suited my needs, and then a VERY LOW price. Obviously, the very low bid was not accepted; but it was good practice. I had to wait 72 hours before making another bid, but that was fine, because the practice session gave me confidence to continue.

I would suggest that you choose only 3*, one zone, and one price for starters. If your initial bid is not accepted, you can add another parameter, like another zone or go down to add 2.5*. In other words, start with the minimum. If not successful, you can add parameters one by one and continue bidding without having to wait the 72 hours.

Hope this helps! And good luck!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:12 AM

PS - if the hotel you bid for is big enough, you can always request two queen beds AFTERWARDS, i.e., after your successful bid.

I believe that most hotels will also give you a cot, if you ask for it.

Otherwise, if the price is low enough, you can afford to get two rooms.

Remember that once your bid is successful, it's set in cement. Your credit card is immediately debited and you can't cancel any more.

There's a price to be paid for getting such great deals and not having cancellation rights is one price to be paid.

Again, good luck! And bid wisely!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 01:39 AM

When I bid on Priceline for a hotel I always look at the hotel section for that area and see what everyone else has bid.So you don't bid too high.
And also take a look at the reviews for the hotels.They have links to the reviews on BFT and Tripadvisor.com
I know you can't select the hotel you want but if your bidding on an area that just has one hotel in it you certainly want to make sure some good reviews have been posted for that hotel.
Be sure to do your homework before you bid and I'm sure you'll be very happy with the price and the hotel!
Good Luck (it's fun to do)
Debbie
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Shultzy--just a thought--but if you're going to Orlando and need more beds than the standard priceline deal, you could probably find some good hotel deals by checking various websites. Then, you wouldn't have to take such a chance on priceline, as far as having enough beds.

One that immediately comes to mind is www.mousesavers.com. This is devoted all-things-Disney/Orlando and always has hotel bargins. The lady behind the website is familiar with many hotels in the area and usually has some type of "mousesavers" special going with some of them. I know there are other websites devoted to that area, but I can't think of them now. You could do a search on google and find several, I'm sure. I use priceline frequently but have never used it in the Orlando area b/c I've always found good hotel deals without it. Good luck!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your great advice.