Notices

Villas at Bluefields Bay

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Villas at Bluefields Bay

I just did a search through the archives for information and noticed that Tivertonhouse had some concerns about traffic noise now that Sandals Whitehouse is open.

What say you Tiv ? Would you still say I could find some peace and quiet here ?

My dad is terminally ill and when I am able to travel it will be a *de-stress* trip.

I'd also love to hear about the beach here. Is it possible to walk for some distance ?

I'm assuming I'll be able to walk barefoot, better than I do in snow boots ;-) ! Another blizzard due here tonight.

Thanks for any and all information !

Marion

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Marion, so sorry to read about your father. I saw the Bluefields Bay villas from the street on my way to Treasure Beach last month. I don't know how much traffic the Sandals will draw...but I imagine that from the beach side of the villas you wouldn't hear much noise. Don't know about where the bedrooms or living areas are within each villa, but they might suffer from a bit of noise.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks EJ ! I thought long and hard before mentioning my dad....but decided it was important information regarding my planning.

As you know, I loved Jamaica Inn....but I'm not sure I am up to much socializing.

I have explored some villas that Linda Smith represents....but my adult daughters are concerned that I might be isolating myself too much by staying alone.

I just want to pack a suitcase filled with mystery novels, a couple of bathing suits and find some sun and a *wee* bit of pampering

Marion

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM

I looked into the same type of de-stress vacation and came up with Jackie's on the Reef as a good choice - it gets great reviews. I also have one of Tiverton's properties on my short list - it is under Horizon - Sea Ranch or Rasta Ranch on the website. They are part of a larger estate that is owner occupied - I believe. That looks like the perfect to veg. There is a cook available too.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM

We stopped by Horizon a couple of years ago and it would, indeed, be a great palce to veg. The owner is in one house and there are the two cottages, nd a little tiny private beach and a kayak too...with a great jetty out in the water with a hut at the end with a cozy bench and pillows. So it was in 2002, anyway.

Only drawback for me was no AC and no screens. That might have changed. It's pretty close to the road but there is a high wall that seemed to keep things relatively quiet.

Marion have you looked at anything in Treasure Beach? No traffic to speak of there....and a lot of empty beaches great for walking. You can be alone or socialize if you feel like it, no hustle or hassle, very quiet.

I'm sorry about your dad, having a sick parent has got to be really rough
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:58 PM

Marion, we just returned from a week long stay at Milestone Cottage. Beautiful property, excellant service, perfect place to de-stress and relax. If road noise is a concern for you I would suggest either Cottonwood or Hermitage both of which we visited. Both of those properties are away from the road and no road noise was heard at either on. Milestone, on the other hand is actually quite close to the road and the truck traffic was quite noticable. All in all this property was a great way to vacation if relaxation is what you are seeking. Staff was outstanding, food even better. If you have any other questions specific to Bluefields, I would be happy to try to answer any. Good luck with your planning.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

To GaryandDeb...

I would love to hear more about your stay at Bluefields. Specifically about the beach and the swimming.

Any details you can give will be most welcome.

Thanks !

Marion

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Marion, glad to help. The beach at Milestone was somewhat rocky and not terribly condusive to swimming as you would expect at Negril or any other big sandy beach. They did have a flotation raft anchored a short way out in the ocean which was great for relaxing to the rock of the waves. It is not a walking in the sand type of beach as we are used to, nevertheless is quite beautiful and peaceful. Having said that, each of the properties offers a private pool for sunning and cooling off. The pools are larger than we expected from the usual "plunge" pool and were more than ample for our stay. I would again emphasize that the true beauty of these properties is the excellant staff, food, and opportunity for total relaxation. Staff is very perceptive to how much "pampering" you require and is either very attentive or very unobtrusive based on your individual desires. They will go to any length to make your stay exactly what you are looking for.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the additional information...I'm assuming it's from Deb ;-)

And you're absolutely right... it is a perceptive, caring staff that I need right now. Along with a few flowers and singing birds...and some sunshine !

Thanks again for your help.

Marion
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Marion, You're more than welcome. Let me know if any other questions come up in your research, I'd be more than happy to help. By the way, while Deb agrees with all the above, she's not one to post reviews
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:53 PM

Marion: HERMITAGE is the self-contined villa you'd feel most comfortable in at Bluefields Bay -- it's the furthest from the main and noise is imperceptible especially since this villa is perched directly above ocean. Great pool. You can shut out the world here, never once thinking the dreaded "S" word (they're 20 min.away up the coast).
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:58 PM

Beach:A path leads down from the villas to Bluefields Beach, which is public and busy on weekends, with a jerkstand/steamfish collection of small bars/restaurants in a park across the road. Best beaching of the strollable wild me-only-on-the-beach kind (rare to find) would be to have one of their boatmen take you down to the Parottee Point and aroundside, just past Black River for dune-like beaches. You'll pass Sandals Whitehouse en route down the coast, 20 min from you and about 15 from Black River. Wave nicely.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:53 AM

Marion:Another bonus of exploring the wild beaches near Parrottee and around the point is the famed and funky PELICAN BAR, on mangrove stilts 1/4 mile at sea, just off Parrottee area --so your trip by boat might be doubly-rewarded.
Lots of wild dolphin in area/another option is to go by boat 12 miles up into the Black River Morass for croc/wildlife/mangrooves/bluecrabbers and Sister Lou's crabshack up river.
If you're a birder, ANN SUTTON, wife of the late Robert Sutton, the pre-eminent authority on Jamaican birds, bird songs and photographing birds, is now also doing private day-long birding tours into the morass, Marshall's Pen up in Mandeville and the truly wild Cockpit Country, the latter esp.good for parrots. HERMITAGE might seem lavish for one -- but it's the treat you want. Especially since you've already been spoiled by Jamaica Inn. The tiled pool, the octagonal stone great room, the spectacular 19th cen.mahogany four poster -- Braxton and Debbie put much of their 'good stuff' in this villa since the view is hard to compete with.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

To Tiv...

Thanks so much for your most helpful information. I always appreciate the time and effort you put into your posts.

Hermitage is my choice, primarily for the antiques and a sense of authenticity...and now that you confirm that the view is what I hoped it would be, I feel like smiling.

I plan for a two week stay. Hopefully that will provide for some peace and recovery and then some energy to explore some of the areas you suggested.

Thanks again !

Marion

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Marion, I hope your trip to Bluefields Bay is just the respite you need for you to come home to face your father with grace. I'd like to second what Tiverton said about the Pelican Bar--I mentioned it in my trip report about a month ago and it is the place my mind now drifts back to in the face of yet another snowstorm. Exotic, rustic, quiet, simple, and for a moment you feel as if you've left the real world entirely. The group of 6 we were a part of were there for just under 2 hours, but my husband and I felt as if we could've camped out there for most of the day--brought a book to read, keep the Red Stripes or Tings coming, gaze out at the horizon lost in thought, all intermittently punctured with conversation with the bartenders and whoever else stops by.

We also enjoyed our trip up the river, ostensibly to see the crocodiles, but with all of the large pontoon boats backing up this way and that to practically chase the crocs down, our group decided to just keep motoring up the river under a low bridge to a calm wide spot in the river--rope swing, seats in the shade, man there selling cold beverages out of a cooler--which we enjoyed much more.

And for those of you who remember a certain thread from a while back, we saw (gasp!) a container of environmentally friendly soap along the banks of the river. Made me smile to see it.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

To EJ...

I do remember your description of the Pelican Bar and thought, at the time, I wonder IF I could climb the ladder to get up....let alone get down ;-)

I would do so much more exploring, if I only had an able companion with a good sense of balance and an arm, ever at the ready ;-) !

I'm just planning now. I won't travel until later.

Thanks for your lovely *mind* pictures...you are skilled at description !

Marion