Baraka Point, Virgin Gorda

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen it? It is on Nail Bay. The web site says there are sandy beaches close enough to walk to? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:31 AM

Yes-- there are sandy beaches close enough to walk to. It sits high up and since we haven't stayed there (we stay in a villa at Mahoe Bay), I'm not sure how far the walk is. One thing for sure, though, it'd be hilly.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

poss, Thanks for replying. We are taking our entire family to celebrate our 40th anniversary and I don't want to make a very expensive mistake. I was considering Aquamare, but most on fodors didn't think it was on a great area of Mahoe Bay. I am going to look at some of the villas they recommended on Mahoe and hopefully decide today. My only hesitation with Baraka Point is the sandy beach for the grandkids. I don't want to have to rent more than 2 vehicles.

Do you recommend any 5 or 6 bedroom villas on Mahoe?

thanks,
WT
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM

there are several villas right on or 2-4 mins walk to the sand at mahoe bay. you might look at adagio 5br, beachcomber 5br, sandcastle 5br, loblolly 6br, http://www.satorivillas.com/ 6br.
i looked into finding a smaller villa on mahoe in march. there is plenty of useful info in this thread from fodorites who haved stayed there: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...hoe+bay+villas

we haven't gotten to go yet so i can't help with baraka-beach distance.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM

Hi WanderingTexan,
I'm one of the people who responded to that other posting about Aquamare. Those brand new villas really did look terrific, but I believe that the beach right in front of the Mahoe villas is better, especially for kids. And the views are spectacular. If you pull up one of the rental websites for those Mahoe villas (Virgin Gorda Villa rentals seems to have most of them, plus they're the on-site management office), you'll see that the villas are kind of divided into three "tiers." The several up by the road have wonderful, wide, long views, but I'd be bothered a bit by traffic noise (many people wouldn't be bothered at all-- there sure isn't a whole lot of traffic!) There's one villa that's mid-way up the hill, but it's one of the smaller villas. Then there are half a dozen or so right on the beach. I've looked into a number of them, and they all seem pretty terrific. The one called Adagio up on the hill is perhaps the "grandest" of them-- slightly more "upscale" furniture. Also the one called Bellamare is very nice. I don't remember the specifics of the ones on the beach. A few of those villas actually have separate guest houses as part of the "compound." The lay-outs are wonderful-- all very very comfortable (with nice outdoor showers). Pool size varies from villa to villa, but they're all kept immaculately clean. We like Little Dix (and Caneel) also, by the way. What we do is split our time, usually, half at LD, half at a villa; or half at Caneel, half at Gallows Point. (The villas at Mahoe Bay are about a zillion times better than the condos at Gallows.)
I'll look back at the site later to see if I can answer any other specific questions.
By the way, the owner of Adagio villa at Mahoe I think rents directly-- and presumably less expensively than going through a rental company. He posts as Gordaguy over on the traveltalkonline website.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM

We stayed at Bellamare on Mahoe. It was a quick 2 min walk to the beach. Gorgeous views and I Loved the two tier patio area. No road noise. The landscaping is beautiful as well. It has 5 bedrooms. However I looked up the link for Acquamare and I don't think Bellamare is in the same league. Actually I don't think any of the other villas on Mahoe would be in the same league. Acquamare looks brand new and the furnishing etc looks fabulous. Also the views from one of the lower tier rooms in Bellamare was blocked. If you can walk easily from the acquamare beach to the main Mahoe beach I would stick with Acquamare.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the info! It is a big help.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

I found a villa called Katitche Point that is between Mahoe and Savanna (they say) right above Giorgio's restaurant. I am wondering if Aquamare is right next to Giorgio's. I was re-visiting Aquamare because it is on the beach and I am thinking it is right next to Giorgio's and below Katitche Point villa. If I am correct, are both these villas too close to Giorgio's?

Thanks,
WT
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:33 AM

No-- not too close to Giorgio's. Can't even see the restaurant from Katiche Point or Aquamare. Giorgio's is kind of hidden around several bends (all down a fairly steep bumpy road).
By the way, I don't know how impt light is to you. My memory of those new villas (Aquamare) is that they're in a shady area, i.e. many trees and such around. The villas at Mahoe are much more out in the open (though they have wonderful plantings all around them), so that they present an "airier," lighter feeling. No question about it though-- the Aquamare villas are more upscale, more stunning than the Mahoe villas (and much newer, obviously). I haven't been in them, but they're mighty impressive from the outside. I have to stay, though, that given my druthers, I'd still choose one of the Mahoe villas over the Aquamare. I like the whole setting better (for reasons cited), and I think they have a better beach and snorkeling. But for real elegance, etc. the choice would be Aquamare. (Plus, if it turns out that you like Giorgio's-- which we didin't-- the restaurant is an easy stroll from Aquamare, a bit of a haul by foot from Mahoe.)
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks poss!

I will know for sure Tuesday, but it appears that Baraka Point is now booked for the days I want. After looking at the Katitche web site, my daugher (with the youngest kids) thinks that it is going to be very hard for her... hauling the kids back up the hill. I can't seem to find a photo that shows where the road is to Mahoe? Is there a place to park if we have to drive?

I am looking at the other villas on Mahoe too. I do like it light, but really want something special for my 40th. Thanks for letting me know and all of your help! It is very much appreciated.
WT
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:20 AM

This link to a layout of the mahoe bay villas might help you:

http://www.myvacationrentalmanager.c...op14000615.jpg
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM

Not sure exactly what you mean about that road to Mahoe. The Mahoe Bay villas are easy to get to. E.g., if you're at Little Dix and turn left out of the property (instead of right to go into town), Mahoe Bay isn't far along that road-- right past Savannah Bay if you remember that curve in the road. You get off the main road a bit and go along a somewhat unfinished (though not bad) road for a mile or so, and then you come to all those villas on Mahoe Bay. There's easy parking for the villas. Let me know if your question is different from what I've answered-- I'll try again.
Have you looked at websites that show all the photos of the various villas at Mahoe Bay? Are you interested in being right smack on that wonderful beach? There are some fine villas there, I imagine. And, again, I know that Adagio is a quite handsome place-- moves around in an interesting way. I'm not sure how many people are in your party, but have you considered the villa called Satori? It's one of the ones that has a large main house and a separate guest house (like Adagio). Personally, I like Open Deck best of all-- like its situation, its privacy. But it's not one of the largest villas and it has less "fancy" furniture. (Has maybe the biggest pool though.)
Nail Bay, by the way, is farther along that same road (off the main road) and it, imo, is a bit of a pain to drive-- it really bumps along, bumpety, bumpety. (Obviously many folks don't mind it one bit.)
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks poss. I was actually wondering if we stayed on the point in a villa, where we could park at the beach if we drove to the beach, but don't worry about it. I haven't found a layout of a villa that really works for us and the room where we were going to put the kids at Aquamare isn't going to work because it is too far away from the main suites and has only outside access. I read that Nail Bay road was bad. My other daughter doesn't want to be on the point, so I am now looking around in Anguilla. I may still book Aquamare, but it is not going to work like I thought it would.
Thanks for all your help.

WT
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:52 AM

Just wanted to give another plug to the Mahoe Bay villas, WT. They are, indeed, simpler in style than Katitche Point and Baraka, but their layouts are family friendly. And they're certainly comfortable, even if they're not luxe. Adagio is a five bedroom one that is on the hill but is a very quick walk to the beach--my husband, granddaughter and I stayed there last summer and loved the villa for its location and proximity to the beach.
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Anguilla is wonderful--beaches as lovely as on VG, though not with the handsome topography of VG (flat island, as I'm sure you know). Also, there's virtually no good snorkeling on Anguilla, but that may not be a serious drawback for you. (It's a deal-breaker for us-- our main pleasure.)
I still wonder if you checked out some of those quite fine villas right on the beach at Mahoe (i.e. right down on the sand, not in one of the upper tiers, a la Adagio, etc). There are five or so villas on that fine beach, each with varying kinds of room and layouts.
One other thing (as you also no doubt know): Everything in Anguilla is considerably more expensive than on VG. Restaurants much better, but much more expensive.)
Have a wonderful time wherever you choose!
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

I think the villas on Mahoe look wonderful, and hopefully I will stay in one sometime, but for this trip, our 40th anniversary with family, we were looking for a once-in-a-lifetime villa rental. The extra bedroom at Aquamare does not connect to the rest of the house which means we can't put the grandkids in there, so I am still looking. I know there isn't any snorkeling on Anguilla and it is a big drawback, but I have never seen a prettier beach or water than that at Cap Juluca.

WT
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Gotcha about the specialness of the place. Congrats on your 4oth anniversary! How many bedrooms will you need for that trip and/or how many people will you need to accommodate? (Since children may double up with each other, etc)

Have you taken a look at A Dream Come True villa in Virgin Gorda? It's 5 bedrooms and sleeps up to 14 people...

Or Sol Y Sombra, a 5 bedroom sleeping up to 10 people?

It seems that you were really hoping to stay on VG, so I just wanted to throw out those last two suggestions. If VG doesn't work, I hope something great on Anguilla or elsewhere is available!
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:58 AM
NM

While there is more snorkeling on VG, AXA does have its share. We rent a villa there every year and our family loves snorkeling--we go to Shoal Bay East, Sandy Hill, Junks Hole, and Little Bay & a few places without names. We pick AXA over VG because there are more restaurant choices & more beaches. The road up to Nail Bay VG is a bit nail biting particularly at night.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM

NM: Can you tell me more about the villa you rent on Anguilla? Or can you suggest what might be the best accommodations for us given the fact that snorkeling is our top priority? I.e. what's a good, more or less "upscale" hotel or villa that'd have good snorkeling virtually right out the door? We visited Anguilla briefly quite a while ago, and I haven't been tempted to return because I keep reading that snorkeling pales in comparison to the better snorkeling islands around the Caribbean. But I know that the beaches on Anguilla are very nice, and also the food. Would be tempted to give it a try if I could learn where to stay and that the snorkeling really is quite good. Isn't Shoal Bay East a kind of crowded and "shacky" kind of place-- little bars and eateries, rather than gorgeous natural setting? Do I have that wrong?
In short, I would be most appreciative if you (or anyone) could advise where a real snorkeling afficionado might be happy on Anguilla. Thanks.
(And apologies for hijacking the thread. OP seems to be more or less done with it..)
Good vacations to all.
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

I haven't seen the "Dream" villa. I will take a look at it. I am going crazy!!! Flights to Anquilla and Antigua are very difficult from Texas. Well, so is VG for that matter.

I have only eaten at a restaurant nearby, but Shoal Bay East was way too croweded for me.

Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -