Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Villa Rental In Jamaica-Calypso at Tryall?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Paula

Has anyone rented a villa in Montego Bay?We are considering either Calypso at Tryall or Caribbean Fairways in Montego Bay. They both look wonderful, has full staff: maid/cook/butler but how safe are they? Any information would be appreciative.<BR>Thanks....Paula

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 03:54 AM
tivertonhouse

If you're golfers, the greens fee savings alone are worth a villa at Tryall, quite a 'safe' destination on island. Other good MoBay villa sources are cvoa.com and lacure.com

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Paula

Thanks for your in-put....anyone else?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:02 AM
jam-man

Paula,<BR><BR>We've rented villas 3 times at Tryall, and will be back for our 4th time at the end of the month. The first time we did the only 1 bedroom they had at the time. That unit, Kerguy, has since been expanded into a 2 bedroom unit.<BR>Times 2 and 3 were 2 couples in a 4 bedroom at a reduced price.<BR>I can't predict for you, but we loved it and think it is the best vacation. The villas all have staff. I've reported on this site at length the fun of setting up your menus with the cook. <BR>Do a search in the search box above for Tryall Club, you'll get all the posts with those words in them. <BR>Since you're looking at 3 and 4 bedroom villas, I'm guessing you're going with 2, 3, or 4 couples, total. For us (4 people) we each gave the cook about $150 for food. She went off to do the shopping and then fed us wonderfully for the week. We didn't have any beef, as it is very expensive, but we had chicken, pork, fish, and curried goat. Excellent. Outstanding soups and refreshing lunches when we came back from golf.<BR>There is a commissary at the Great House where you can get beer, wine, spirits, sodas (Ting and Rum, and Gin and Ginger Beer are great afternoon drinks), and snacks. But you may want to pack your own snacks (nuts, crackers, chips [Pringles], and so on as they are also very expensive).<BR>The grounds at Tryall are very securely patrolled around the clock. One member of the staff will stay overnite in a room set aside just for that, so there's always someone there to respond to emergencies, knowing who to call, and so on.<BR>I'd recommend Fairways as the view down over the golf course out to the ocean is outstanding. Calypso's view is a little less so.<BR>If you play golf, you've chosen the right place. The course is wonderful. The caddies are excellent and a lot of fun to play golf with.<BR>My wife and I really love Tryall. I hope you will, too.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:19 AM
jam-man

Paula,<BR><BR>Correction, each couple gave the cook $150 each, $300 total.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Paula

Thanks for the information, it's always nice when you get information from someone who has actually been there.