Search

Villa Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Villa Experiences

Hi, I was just wondering how many people have ever gone "all-out" and rented a villa? We are always on the lookout for people's feelings on this, it helps us to plan our next holiday! Particularly, we prefer responses on "Great" experiences, but if you have anything to pass on that is of a "not-so-good" nature, that would be welcomed, too!

Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Hi, we have rented on several islands. It is usually more economical and easier with kids or extended family. When it was just me and DH we would normally stay in a hotel.
We have rented in St Barth, Nevis, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, Bonaire, more than once and other islands which the villas escape me at the moment. For the most part we have had GREAT luck with rentals. The only house we rented that I really did not care for was the most recent time in St Barth last year. It was just not a very nice house. However, there are SO many villas in St Barth, more than there are hotel rooms, so if you consider this island villas are a really good option. We just were not given all the info. from the rental co. to make it a good trip for us.
That being said, there are a lot of many really fantastic properties out there. You just have to do some research. This is a great place to compare notes with others.
First decide on an island you wish to stay. (or a couple) people here can help you with which island might be the best for you and your particular needs on vacation.
Renting a villa can actually save you money - think about the per room price if you rented more than 1 hotel room, the cost of meals that you might save here and there eating at the villa. When we rent we always eat breakfast and lunch at the villa and dinner out. This saves a ton of money. Plus with a child its SO much easier.
There are SO many advantages to renting. Plus depending on where you stay you can have a full staff (or at least housekeeping) your own pool, beach access, private terrace, etc. the possibilities are endless
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM

We've done it several times in Jamaica, where most villas come with a staff, at least a housekeeper and cook.

I'm not sure I'd rent a villa that required that I cook and clean, though some prefer the privacy that comes with being the only ones there.

We find them a great option for groups...extended family or a few couples. Everyone has their own bedroom and private space but we can all hang out together at the pool or living area or beach or whatever as well.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 04:55 PM

i've rented two houses on provo and 1 in mexico. all 3 were great experiences. all came with housekeeper - 2 were daily. mex had a cook on site available if we asked, which we did on 3 nights out of 14. we enjoy doing our own cooking and in fact take a cooler of food with us (not to mex -they won't let you). it allows us more flexability and is less expensive than restaurants. the privacy is our main purpose in renting villas. we enjoy having "our own" section of beach. and i think the best is that after a big day you can "go home" and hang on the couch for a while or by your own pool. ditto liza's comment about everyone being able to have their own space and still gather easily. no loud neighbors. no out of control kids at the pool....
staying in a villa means more interaction with local people. it usually involves a rental car so you learn your way around. you have to go to the grocery, etc. you can walk around your neighborhood and perhaps meet the other villa guests. and invite them over if you meet ppl you like. all in all i'd say give it a try.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM

We rented for the first time five years ago and have been hooked ever since. First and foremost I love the privacy. I don't like hotels anymore, the slamming doors, the people talking in the hall at 3:00 in the morning, not enough room, having to eat out every meal and having to look presentable at all hours of the day and night. Unlike Virginia and Liza, I do not like to have a maid come to the villa, let alone live there. I prefer privacy. I don't "clean" the villa anyway, just keep it picked up a little. We don't usually cook huge meals that require a lot of cleanup either, unless we feel like it, and then it's part of the fun.

We've rented five different villas in Hawaii, one in St. John, one in St. Barts and twice on Kiawah Island in South Carolina. In each case the villa was nicer than it appeared on the website and exceeded our expectations. That is because I start my research as soon in advance as possible - sometimes almost a year ahead of time. I only choose villas whose websites offer many photos, inside and out. You can "google" the name of the villa and try to find comments people other people may have made online. You can ask the owner many questions.

Finally, I find that renting a villa is very economically feasible. When you consider the square footage you are getting, in many cases a private pool and/or hot tub, a better view and the possibility to save a lot of money on food, you are lots farther ahead with a private villa.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM

maggi, i have to laugh, about the maids. we too would prefer to have no one come in during our stay. have written owners and rental companies saying so. we asked one to only come on certain days and times. and still they come on their own schedule. in mexico the couple lived in a casita on the property, not in the house. i would have had to draw the line on that. next house we may resort to bribery.
i too research way ahead. sometimes i look at villas on islands i'm not even going to yet just to be ahead of things. there is a lot to be said for reading carefully (a/or between the lines) as well as the pics.
also, if you travel with other than just family careful consideration should be given to individual tastes and energy levels.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:22 AM

We've rented "villas" in Bermuda, Morocco, Hong Kong, France, and St. John. We've been very lucky in that all of the properties were absolutely gorgeous and as represented. The only bad experience we've ever had was the one on St. John and that was because the owner was absolutely a nightmare of a person. Despite such a horrid experience, I would definitely rent a villa whenever possible. I think if I had done my homework instead of being so thrilled to get a last minute, seemingly cheap rental, I would have avoided the one bad experience. The property was lovely, just dealing with the owner was wretched. My suggestions are (1) get as much info. as you can regarding the renting agency or owner, see if there is any bad press on forums like this (2) do not ignore your gut instinct if there is anything that bothers you while dealing with said rental agency/owner (3) make sure every detail of the rental is clearly spelled out by yourself and by the renting party so noone will be surprised or disappointed, and (4) know exactly what your recourse is in the event of a problem. By comparison, the owner of the villa in Bermuda was a delightful person who was responsive, responsible and stayed completely out of our hair. That one, we found through a rental agency but dealt directly with the owner. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to give more info. on that one. The Moroccan one was a gorgeous "riad" in Marrakesh staffed with a cook and housekeeper. This was years ago and made through our tour agent at the time, but what a fantastic experience! I think it cost us a total of $300/night for the entire immaculately furnished and kept 5 bedroom home in the middle of this vibrant, legendary city. Unfortunately, I couldn't find either the agent or the riad at this point, but there are plenty of reputable companies out there. I cannot overstress the incredible, unique experience of having the opportunity to live like a local, not to mention much more room and privacy than you would get in most resorts/hotels. Economically, especially if you're traveling in numbers, it works out to be less costly too, especially since you have the opportunity to cook your own meals. On occasion, as in Morocco, we even had someone cooking delicious local food for us. In France, we rented a neat chateau, parts of which dated back to the 10th century. Now that's getting history up close and personal. IMO, definitely rent a villa if you have the chance. Sure, you may have to clean up after yourselves more than a hotel, but it's worth it!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM

We've rented homes mainly on St. Barts.
This island is not really "Caribbean" since there was never slavery or a plantation culture. Since there are no large hotels about 1/2 the guest rooms are in private villas.
The price ranges here run from reasonable to way over the top.
You can rent through one of the agencies such as Wimco or an owner directly. On the resonable end, we've rented Flamands Blue(stbartsvilla.com) which is on the hillside about the Hotel Isle de France. Gorgeous views, privacy, perfectly maintained and a short walk to what many consider the Island's nicest beach. It's decorated "beach house" not cluttered, with bright blue/turquoise. You can go much higher end with a chef, etc. etc put we prefer a the fine dining that this Island affords.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM

My husband has rented villas in the past on St. Barths and together he and I have rented a villa in Grenada, with two more villa vacations coming up this year. It's a great way to travel when there's more than two of you. If you happen to want to vacation in Grenada, take a look at www.SpiceIsleVillas.com for a really great selection and a manager who lives on the island and will take care of you every step of the way.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:44 AM

All here post valuable advice.

I can only add that if you want a truly remarkable hassle-free experience then venture to St. John, Us Virgin Islands. No passport needed. direct flights to St. Thomas from most major airports. Check out spirit and jet blue for new routes as well.

Check out www.vivacations.com
for Cruz Bay Villas

www.windspre.com for Coral bay villas.

Other private condo villas at:
www.Gallowspointresort.com

I stay one week a month at a condo at Gallows Point on st john. Its centrally located, and walkable-2 minutes to Cruz Bay. Rental car company nearly next door at St John Car Rental (family on st john past 30 years owns it)....but I usually rent a compact car from Avis at airport, drive to east end red hook--30 minutes away and saves you $22 each way taxi and take car ferry barge over to St. John. Gallows has plenty of parking.

If you have private villa in the hills of st john--you will need a sturdier 4 wheel drive type vehicle.

4 weeks or more stays:
www.stjohnproperties.com
Contact BJ harris or Hal Bornns
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:53 AM

I would agree with everyone so far. I agree with what Tuxedocat said. Do you homework first and you should be fine. I have rented condos or villas in Hawaii and St. Maarten (just got home yesterday from St. Maarten)and had great experiences with both. Use the internet to your advantage and search on the name of the villa or the renter. Check the forums and ask the renter for a few references. I like have my own space and don't like be around so many people at resorts. Godd luck!!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM

We rent a villa whenever we can. There are just 3 of us, but it is still about the same price, if we were to get 2 rooms at a resort. Plus, we have gotten to hate big resorts. When our son was young, he loved all the big pools,etc., Now that he is a teen, we do the villa thing and it is just marvelous. No comparison to the masses of people. I keep remember our stay at Atlantis and although it was a beautiful experience for an hour, it made for a long 4 day weekend. We are going to Tortola in March, for the first time, renting Summersalt. Any past Tortola familiar with it??