Tradewinds at Tryall

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:35 AM
Molly

Tradewinds at Tryall

I was curious if anyone out there has stayed at the Tradewinds villa at Tryall. (Or any villa at Tryall for that matter.) I leave a week from Saturday and was just wondering what it it going to be like.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:11 AM
jam-man

Molly,

Put Tryall in the search box above and hit "Go"
You'll get all the posts about the place, the villas, and what it's like to be there. I've authored a number of them myself. Been there 3 times, going again tomorrow.
Short version: you should have a great time. You'll get to discuss your menu with your cook, you'll have your meals when you want them, the way you want them. I recommend eating outside. Might be a touch warmer than you may be used to, but the constant breeze provides island air conditioning.
You should enjoy splashing around in your own pool.
Having a maid and laundress makes you feel like a movie star in the '30s with all your cares and wants tended to almost as soon as you think of them.
If you golf, you're really in luck, as the course at Tryall is a gem. And if you haven't played with the aid of a caddy before, well, you are about to experience golf as it should be.
The beach, sad to say, is not spectacular. OK, serviceable, passable, and acceptable are, perhaps, the better words to describe it. However, the water is warm, blue, with small waves. So, not all bad.
Give us a trip report when you return. Potential villa renters always want to know how the experience has been received by other renters.
And as a Tryall fan, it's always fun to see if others share my enthusiasm.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:04 AM
jam-man

Molly,

Just back from Tryall. Stayed in a great house villa this time. Saw family group putting around the grounds in the Tradewinds villa golf cart. Looked like they were having a good time at the beach.
If you play golf, the course overall is in great shape. Greens were aerated a little more than a week ago. Greens fees reduced by half for the week we played. May be done that reduction by now.
So few people in Great House villas that restaurant was closed for 4 of the days we were there. We were AI, so Tryall provided a cook in our villa to cook breakfast and supper for us. All foods and wine provided from the commissary by Tryall. The beach bar cafe was open all the time we were there and served great lunches.
But none of that matters to you guys, because being in your own villa with your own cook, you'll be eating all your meals in your villa.
The service is very discrete. You'll set the times you want to eat and the cook will deliver the meals at that time. The maid will call you to the table and serve the food. Breakfast will probably come to you on plates (eggs, pancakes, waffles, whatever) the fresh fruit will be presented on a platter by the maid and you will serve yourself from the platter. She'll then present the platter to the next person, etc.
Dinners are the same, but all of the courses and foods will be presented to you on platters or serving bowls with serving spoons and forks and you'll serve yourself the amount you want. There will be more than you can eat, and seconds will be offered on everything. There's more than you can eat because the cook NEVER wants to have to say "I'm sorry, there is no more."
Understand, she won't overcook by a lot, just a little bit so you'll feel you've had a chance to have your fill.
Soups will be carried forward as leftovers to be offered at the next days lunch. Pumpkin soup, callaloo soup, and my favorite, red pea (red bean) soup.
The extra food from the evening meal is understood to be available for the staff, usually for the staff member who will be staying the night in your villa in the maid's room. Just a tiny perk for someone who has to be on duty overnite.
Once the serving is done, the maid will withdraw to the kitchen and let you eat in privacy, checking every once and a while if anything else is needed, if seconds are to be taken, if the wine needs to be topped up in glasses, etc.
After clearing away the dishes and either putting out the coffeee service with the dessert, or serving and pouring for you at the table (your choice) staff will again withdraw.
When you leave to go to bed, a "Good Night" called back to the kitchen will be the signal for the maid to finish cleaning away all the dishes, close the doors and sliders and lock up the villa for the night.
And so to bed, thinking about what culinary delights are on their way to you the next day.
Ahhhhhh! A villa at Tryall rates pretty near to heaven in my estimation.
Enjoy your week Molly.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:12 AM
Molly

Thanks jam-man! We leave tommorrow morning and your responses got my family even more excited. We just can't wait to get there and check it out!

How was the weather when you were there?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:31 AM
Paul

Molly;

Just came home from 4 nights at Montego Bay. (we stayed at The Ritz) Weather was fantastic everyday. 88-90 during the day and 78-82 or so at night. Get your sun early each day as it it intense. The warm sea water was superb as well. Have fun!!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:34 AM
jam-man

Molly,

As Paul says, great weather. There was a wave across Cuba for the first couple of days, which meant the wind came from a more easterly direction and that let the afternoon thundershowers which usually stay up in the mountains spill out over us for 2 hours or so each afternoon. We took that as a signal that it was time to take our naps.
Mornings for beach, pool, or golf were all perfect. Sunny and hot. Good breeze provided natural air conditioning.
The last 2 days though, were Chamber of Commerce weather. The wave moved from Cuba, the wind slipped back to North Northeast, the humidity dropped, the skies were absolutely clear -- no clouds. It was soooooo great. Golf was wonderful, pool was excellent, and as we sat before dinner with drinks at the bar of the Great House, looking out at the lights of MoBay, there wasn't a drop of (I hope this isn't too personal) perspiration on any of us. The breeze was warm and dry. Just great.

One day while you're there, make it a point to go up to the Great House pool, stand at the edge of the deep end (5 feet, 6 inches. Not real deep). There's a ledge there that lets you stand in the pool and lean on the pool's edge. Just stand there for a minute, in the pool, looking out at the first 7 holes of the golf course, Round Hill and then Montego Bay in the distance.
That's what I did on the morning we left, just to have that sight burned into my brain until the next time we can get back there.
Enjoy yourself. Give us a trip report when you get back.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:48 AM
jam-man

Molly,

Well, how was it? Now that you've been in a staffed villa, have you been spoiled? No more hotels for you?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:44 AM
topper

Molly?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Molly

Where to begin to describe the Tradwinds and Tryall experience...The place was more than any of us imagined. We were not used to the service we received from "our staff". The first time the bell rang to announce a meal we all looked at each other like "Was that for us?". We are such laid back people that it took us a little time to get used to being served everything(but not too much time!) I'll never forget my mom's face when the fish monger came to our door and asked what we wanted for dinner. A few hours later he came back with a 12 lb grouper! The next day 3 lb lobsters! Talk about service! The golf carts are a great touch and allowed us to see all of Tryall. The view from the Great House was gorgeous. We also indulged in ocean side massages...talk about relaxation.

It rained everyday. About 3 in the afternoon storms would come in over the mountains. But that was fine with us. We were done being in the sun for the day and it ws time to get ready for some red stripes and dinner!

On the last day of the trip we had a reggae band come and play for us at the villa and our gardner built us a huge bonfire on the beach. What a way to spend our last night!

OK...I feel like I could go on and on about the trip but I'd be typing for ever. So feel free to ask any questions and I'll check back soon.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:10 AM
jam-man

Molly,

Sounds like you took every advantage of all Tryall has to offer.
Knew you'd love it.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Kelly

Tradewinds/Tryall was ABSOLUTE paradise!!! I would recommend it to everyone! Like Molly said, it was great! My 14 month old son was with us and he had such a BALL!! He loved the staff more than us!!! He flirted with our housekeeper!!!

Everyday was perfect, the view was spectacular! And sharing it with my family was even better!