VACATION IDEAS - NEED YOUR INPUT

May 22nd, 2002, 07:34 PM
ZETE

VACATION IDEAS - NEED YOUR INPUT

Looking for some vacation ideas. My wife and I are looking for a one week vacation in the Caribbean. Our travel budget is $2500 +/-.
July time frame. Air from Philadelphia.
Might prefer all-inclusive. Looking for a relaxing vacation.

I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks

Zete

May 24th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Maureen

Some nice hotels that are affordable are Emerald Beach Hotel-St. Thomas, paradores in Puerto Rico such as Lazy Parrot Inn in Rincon, Copamarina Hotel Guanica- Puerto Rico, Sebastian's Little Apple Bay Tortola -British Virgin Islands, Villa Taina Windsurf Resort-Dominican Republic, Holiday Inn Cancun, May Tulum Retreat --(mayantulum.com), Habitat Curacao-Curacao, Island Beachcomber St. Thomas (islanderbeachcomber)--see information/rates at Where2Stay.com. Also just type out hotel, island on Google or Lycos to get information.

May 24th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Maureen

Check out cabaretecondos.com or just type out cabaretecondos using Google--rates are only $130/night. Palm Beach Condos-Cabarete Dominican Republic (nearest airport Puerto Plata, D.R.).

May 24th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Roe

I traveled fro NYC 8/2001 to Aruba..WONDERFUL PLACE!!!!! Stayed at the Wyndham great place that was within our budget.

May 24th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Sunny

Airfare to Aruba is very expensive and the Wyndham is a great hotel but not all that inexpensive!

May 24th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Sunny

We were in Turks and Caicos 2 years ago and we stopped for drinks at the tiki hut bar at the Turtle Cove Inn (turtlecoveinn.com) and we had such a nice time talking to people--employees at the bar were so nice. Turtle Cove is by a marina and they will transport you to their beach. Walking distance to several bars/restaurants including Sharkbite and Banana Boat. Mexican restaurant (Hey Jose I believe) in town was really good. To get around you will need a car to leave property. You could always reduce your vacation. Good luck!

May 24th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Chrissy

My Fiance and I went to Negril, Jamaica last July. We had such a wonderful time! The beach was great and Rick's Cafe is famous for it's sunsets. It's up in the cliffs and is so beautiful. It was very reasonable and the people were very friendly. I wouldn't recommend where we stayed, but we met people who stayed at the Riu and loved it!

May 24th, 2002, 06:53 AM
patty

try these 2 websites that list discount specials from various sources:
www.travelfleamarket.com and www.travelzoo.com.

www.vacationoutlet.com is another source that lists air & hotel packages, including all-inclusive, similar to travelocity or orbitz.

For last minute travel see www.momentsnoticetravel.com (up to 60 days out, I think) which currently has all-inclusive deals from philadelphia (under a $1000/person including airfare) or see www.lastminutetravel.com (up to 30 days out)

May 25th, 2002, 05:59 PM
gail

St. John and Tortola are two islands I have spent a week at. Tortola this spring was great, good snorkeling, fun day trips to do to explore little areas of the island. There are two highest point areas to see, one is a rain forest per say. We stayed at the Sugar Mill and children have to be over 15, which is nice, the restaurant is one of the very best in the islands. The owners, Jinx & Jefferson, columnist for Bon Appetit magazine have a Monday night social to meet others staying there. The breakfast area is stunning overlooking the ocean. The place is better than the brochure, and the concierge is so helpful and friendly recommending things to do. Car rental is right at the Sugar Mill which is convenient. We did the adventure package and loved everything. St. John is also a osland of great beauty and much to discover, great little restaurants and my favorite the lowkey watersports bar. We stayed at Cruz View Condo's which were reasonable and adequate but not fancy, but a beautiful pool area. Experienced no crime on either island.

May 26th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Penney

You can look into Negril, Jamaica. There are literally tons of smaller resorts that are very affordable, some all-inclusive that are quieter and more relaxing. A good site wtih tons of info is www.negril.com Very insightful people there on the area.

May 27th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Nancy

A super package I just noticed in my 2001 Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine is at a small south coast hotel-"Peach & Quiet" --pkg features 7 nights for 2/ breakfast, four hotel dinners for 2, one sunset dinner at Carambola Restaurant, 2 day car rental, catamaran cruise, admission to Mount Gay Old Rum. Used Google and typed out Peach & Quiet Hotel, Barbados and got information $1200 for pkg. Some packages were posted online--don't know if this one still applies.

May 27th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Nancy

Great reviews for Peach & Quiet at Where2Stay.com--I'm adding it to my maybe lists for future vacations! Good luck.