Does it exist?

Jan 26th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Does it exist?

...an old Spanish island town where cars are almost unheard of, where we can rent bikes or hike to beautiful hide-a-ways or awesome points of interest. Where life is casual and layed back and the outside world doens't exist. Where the virgin beaches are unspoiled and the water is crystal clear. Where people are friendly but not pushy and the food is fresh and delicious.

We are a family with 2 children (3 & 8) who are well traveled - all over Europe, Scandanavia, Asia. We just moved to Texas, USA. We are looking to get away for a week in March where we can experience some history, activity, natural beauty and some great beaches - not ritzy or touristy.... Can you help me?
Jan 26th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

...also where accomodations are clean and comfortable but price doesn't matter???
Feb 9th, 2004, 11:58 PM

You may want to check out Isla Mujeres off the coast of Mexico,near Cancun. I have not been personally, but my brother has and spoke very highly of it. Very safe, beautiful, unspoiled, inexpensive, travel around by golf cart. There is also a turtle farm/sanctuary on the island. I do not know where he stayed but he got much of his information for planning the trip from the Frommer's guide book. We plan to go as soon as possible. Hope this helps.
Kathy
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Sunnyboy

Try Culebra or Vieques off of Puerto Rico.

Feb 11th, 2004, 11:06 AM
EJC

I agree w/ sunnyboy. Although I haven't been to Vieques, I can recommend Culebra,the smaller of the 2 islands. You will see Flameco Beach; one of the most beautiful in the caribbean. Your post definitely describes Culebra.
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:06 AM
EJC

I agree w/ sunnyboy. Although I haven't been to Vieques, I can recommend Culebra,the smaller of the 2 islands. You will see Flamenco Beach; one of the most beautiful in the caribbean. Your post definitely describes Culebra.
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:08 AM
EJC

Flamenco; not Flameco