Search

Puerto Rico or USVI?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Rico or USVI?

My boyfriend and I have airline vouchers to use in the next year and are considering a four night stay in either Puerto Rico or one of the U.S. Virgin Islands...we have been to the Caribbean so we need advice! We're in our late 20s so a little nightlife would be nice...we also want a nice beach and beachfront accomodations (hoping for under $200 per night) that are nice and clean but don't necessarily need to be super-luxurious. Any tips or recommendations would be very helpful!!! Thanks!
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Oops...I meant to say we have NOT been to the Caribbean.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM

Time of year makes a big difference. Summer is less money than winter.

Under $200 a night on the beach in USVI [St John or St Thomas] is not going to happen in Winter, and may not happen in Summer either.

Puerto Rico may work, but that is really a low price for beachfront.

Deb
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks Deb - we were looking at Fall (probably October) and at first glance, Puerto Rico does look to be less expensive.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM

We are spending 1 night [in March] in San Juan while en route to USVI.

I found this place and it looks really lovely and has good reviews on many websites.

Not on beach but close and the prices are really good. I called them directly and got a better rate than website offered.

Coral Princess Inn; its a small boutique B&B and seems to be in a decent location.
Check it out:
http://www.coralpr.com/

Deb
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 01:24 AM

If you want to have comparable beaches you will need to go to Culebra or Vieques (Puerto Rico). The USVI's have the beautiful white powdery sand & turquois waters as do Culebra & Vieques (sometimes referred to as the "Spanish Virgin Islands&quot. On the mainland of PR, although the beaches are certainly pretty, they aren't the same.

More Culebra specific info. can be found at http://www.culebrablog.com .

Old Nov 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Hi ChrisOH:

This is really funny. I was just having this conversation with someone who had not been to the Caribbean or other "beachy" places before. They wanted to know about beachfront in St. John. I told them that there are not that many places available and sometimes people don't really know what it usually entails. One, the mosquitos love the waterfront. There are about 50% more mosquitos near the beach after sunset than just about anywhere else on island. Two, the sand fleas or "no-see-ums" love waterfront too. Unless you're surrounded by tiki torches and a good breeze, you're dinner. Such is the sad truth about paradise. Now, if you are talking about a stretch of beach where there's good breeze exposure and not much vegetation (i.e. Aruba but then there are other possible predators)then bugs are not so bad. I do not know much about Puerto Rico, but St. Thomas actually has a bunch of fun, relatively inexpensive beachfront resorts. Look into Secret Harbor, Bolongo Bay and Sapphire Beach. St. Thomas may be a great deal for you as it combines a little nightlife and plenty of awesome beaches both there and on St. John (very easy day trip).