Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Using Marriott Points - Which Caribbean Island is Best

May 16th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi - This is my first ever post. I have lots of Marriott points but have never been to the Caribbean (except for Bahamas). I am looking to take my family (Wife, children 8 and 6) to the Caribbean during easter break, but I am not sure which Island that has a Marriott or Renaissance would be our best choice. I will be using hotel points and FF miles so budget is not a problem. Wife/daughter love the beach, we all love swimming, snorkeling, water sports, etc. A safe island that offers the above and more for kids would be perfect. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
May 16th, 2004, 09:29 AM

I would recommend the Marriott Ocean Club or the Marriott Surf Club in Aruba. We stayed at the MOC three years ago during the Easter holiday using our points and it was great. All of the rooms are suites with a full kitchen, small dining area, living area w/TV, full bathroom and then one or two bedrooms depending on what category you book. These resorts are located right on the beach and I know the MOC has exchange priviledges with the Marriott Resort (which is right next door) but I'm not sure how the Marriott Surf Club operates because they are new. Have fun with your research!
May 21st, 2004, 04:13 PM

How about the new JW Marriott in Cancun; I have not been there, but heard it is awesome. I have stayed at JW Orlando and the JW hotels in general are very luxurious. Also, the St. Kitts Marriott looks great.
May 22nd, 2004, 02:19 PM

Aruba! Why? Safety is #1. Though Grand Cayman is another option, I just came back from Grand Cayman... I did not stay at the Marriott but I saw its beach. Do know that the Marriott does have the least amount of beach space compared to all other hotels on 7mile beach. Grand Cayman is beautiful and safe just like Aruba, but since you are using your points...for you and your family, Aruba is the way to go!
May 22nd, 2004, 03:07 PM

I agree. I have been to Bermuda, Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Aruba, and I am leaving for Turks and Caicos in 3 weeks. Aruba is still my favorite. I think has everything, climate, shopping, beautiful beaches, and great restaurants..
May 22nd, 2004, 03:33 PM

Hi,
How is the diving in Aruba?
Looking for a safe place to go with my 2 children (21 and 14) where the 14 year old can have fun and the 21 year old, recently diving certifed, can try diving.