Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

If you've been to the Marriott in Aruba AND Grand Caymen, please give me your input

If you've been to the Marriott in Aruba AND Grand Caymen, please give me your input

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Aries13

I have stayed at the Marriott on Grand Caymen and was completely dissapointed. The hotel was really bad in my opinion...not a great pool area (dirty and small with uncomfortable chairs and lots of annoying children), no beach, yucky restaurants (found hair in my pasta salad).

I'm planning on staying at the Marriott in Aruba (the Ocean Club actually) and want to know how you compare it to Grand Cayman Marriott, if you've been to both. If they are in the same ballpark, then I will consider changing my mind!

Thanks....

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:10 PM
ash

Never been to either but if you choose another hotel, I highly recommend the Radisson in Aruba. It's a great resort.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Aries13

ash - Thanks! But we are going for free using Marriott points. I know it's not the best hotel chain, but I live in one 4 nights a week so it leads to lots of points.

We have other options staying in places using AMEX points too....actually Radisson might have an agreement with AMEX. I will check into it. I know there has been a HUGE debate over Hyatt vs Radisson so I hope that doesn't start again here. I've done my searching and have read all about it! Thanks again!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:35 PM
sue

Just got back from the Aruba Marriott. Did not stay at the Ocean Club, we stayed in the hotel. There is major construction to the south of the Ocean Club so if you stay, request a suite away from that area. Because the Marriott is the last hotel on the strip, the beach is large and spacious. However, you have to be up early (7:30) to get a good hut for shade. Can't reply on the pool as we spent most of our time at the beach, but it looked clean, was adequate in size, and the grounds are well maintained. The food was good and the service was friendly. The amount of children was very limited. Maybe because of the time of year. Having stayed in both, the Marriott is comparable to the Radisson in most ways. Except the Radisson has the best pool area of all. Have a good time.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Beth

I've stayed at the Ocean Club Marriott, and the rooms are new, clean, and big. The pool is also nice. The beach is much bigger in front of the Marriott in Aruba. We stayed at the Westin in Grand Cayman so I can't compare the Marriott in Cayman's to it. I would definitely stay there. It was nice!