Search

US Virgin Islands??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US Virgin Islands??

My husband and I would like to try out one of the US Virgin Islands in July. We dont know much about these islands and we would like your help. Any comments on experiences or suggestions for which island to visit? Resorts/nice hotels to stay in? Nice villas you would recommend? (Our price range is around $400-$500/night) Also, any laid back restaurants/bars that you would recommend?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:03 AM

You'll get a ton of help here, but you should do a search on this sight first. Try searching under St. John, and USVI.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Hi!

July on St. John after July 4th holiday is great time to relax and see the island. St. Croix is really nice then too.

You also will get off season rates.

Try gallows Point Resort where i stay for 1 week a month.
www.gallowspointresort.com

Cruz Bay villa rentals are pletiful then too:
www.vivacations.com

Coral Bay villas are exceptional values then:
www.windspre.com

Laid back bars and restaurants abound at that time. I'd definately do Fishtrap Restaurant, La Tapa, Panini Beach (amazing sunset drinks), Ocean Grill.
Sunday Jazz brunch out in Coral Bay at Miss Lucy's.

Infamous sunday afternoobn jazz at the beach bar cruz bay...More upscale would be Stone Terrace...a must and Caneel Resort's food outlets now with awesome ex. chef.

St Croix:

Try Divi Resort villas and condos. Also Carmambola Resort.

I'd even check out a 1 bedroom manager's suite at Cane Bay Reef Club (where I stay) ask for Joe Scirto owner.
www.canebay.com great food too and sunset views...sounds of ocean out your windows

Eat at Carambola Resort for Friday buffet, Galleon House near Cheney Bay Resort, Anna's cafe really great too near Christiansted.

In Fredericksted check out Turtles Deli, Sunset Grill--yes--best sunset on st croix and potential green flash...

hope this helps a bit.

check out http://www.usvi.net/usvi/

look under news and magazines there

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:15 PM

If you're looking for laid back it sounds like St. John or St. Croix would be more appropriate. There aren't a whole lot of trip reports here if you do a search on these two, but there are enough to give you a general sense.

For St. Croix we had good luck using Bluewater Travel for a rental house. Our villa was wonderful but is for sale right now or I'd recommend it
http://www.travel-caribbean.com/index.html

There are some really good restaurant recommendations posted for St. Croix also.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:08 AM

hi jenny, while many ppl disparage the island of st. thomas these days i think it wonderful. i like staying at www.secretharbourvi.com a really wonderful mid-size resort. it is a pretty low key resort. huge condos with balcony or patio. excellent beach -virtually always calm with sandy entrance for swimming. great beach snorkeling. nice beach bar that never gets wild - well not when i've been there anyway. dive shop on site. very good restautant on site called the blue moon cafe.
most of the sh staff have been there for many years and they give very kind and personal service. def within your budget.
sh is in the east end of st. t. near red hook. approx 30 mins from charlotte amalie which has wonderful shopping and great dining.
lots of good excursions available for snorkel or checking out bvi. nearby is lindquist beach. stunning and all but deserted most days.
magens beach is quite famous for it's beauty, but does get crowded by mid-day. from red hook you can ferry to st.john for the day to snorkel and explore.
marbleheadguy - how is that you get to spend a week per month on st. john? how wonderful for you. and on st.croix too?? i am quite jealous.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:57 AM

If you go to this site

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.co...wforum.php?f=1

There are several recent trip reports - most having to do with St. John (including mine).

(Hope it isn't a problem posting a link)
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Jennybg: If you could be more specific on what you and your husband would like out of your vacation, it would be easier for this board to make suggestions. July is a great time to visit the Caribbean as it is "low" season, and $400/500 will afford you even the 5 stars. IMO, on that budget, I'd look at Caneel Bay Resort in St. John with its own 7 pristine beaches. The whole island is pretty laid back so you won't have any problems finding a fun, laid back beach bar. All the USVI have their share of laid-back places, but the little hamlet of Coral Bay in St. John (aka "NeverNeverland" not a la the "Gloved One&quot has the reputation of being extremely laid back, has some of the nicest private villas, and is definitely away from it all. For villa choices, you might try www.carefreegetaways.com or www.destinationstjohn.com as 2 of the locally based agencies with fine reputations.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We decided on St. John for our vacation. We are going to stay at Treasure Ridge Villa for 7 days. We went through destinationstjohn.com for the rental and they were very helpful. Any recommendations of snorkel/scuba trips and/or day excursions that we should try? I know there are many to choose from, looking for an expert's opinion on which is the best deal for what you get to do and see.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:33 AM

For first timers to the VI's, I would recommend the New Horizons II powerboat trip to the British Virgin Islands. It goes to The Baths on Virgin Gorda, Marina Cay for lunch at Pusser's, a snorkel stop and finally to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke. We did it and had a wonderful time. The tour is highly recommended on this board. The stops are only about an hour each, but it gives a nice overview of the BVI's.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:11 AM

If you will pay $50 for room without food for ~$650w with MAP you can stay at Caneel Bay on St. John. I believe at that time of year in Hawks Nest in an upper unit would be the colllest area though the rooms allhave A/C. Bu, you will have a number of chldren in the caribbean in the summer. the suggestion of St.Croix is a good one and a bit less expensive, Carambola Beach is spoken highly of on this thread with decent snorkeling and laid back. But, the snorkeling cannot be beat at Caneel. With global warming it may one of the few remaining areas of all the Virgin Islands with real quality snorkeling. Your aware of the risk of hurricanes and tropical depressions at that time of year but in 5-6 visits to the Caribbean in July and Aug. (we tend o go Nov.-May) for a total of 35-40 days we had maybe 3-4 days that were complete wash-outs.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM

There's also www.caribbeanvilla.com