Two Weeks - Nevis/Anguilla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lurking for a couple of days, trying to figure out where to stay on Anguilla. We're doing two weeks in the islands, one on Nevis (Montpelier) and one on Anguilla (Cuisinart, I think).

To give some perspective, we've been to Nevis (Nisbet/Montpelier), Grenada (Spice Island/LaSource), VG (Biras), Tortola (Long Bay), St. John (Westin, when it was a Hyatt), and Jamaica (Hedonism II, hey, I was a lot younger!). We've enjoyed each of the places for different reasons, but as long as the water is warm, the rum is plentiful and the people are welcoming, we're good.

Now the question...would it be easier to fly into SXM, fly to Nevis and then home to San Francisco or the other way around?

One more...we're leaning toward Cuisinart due to negative postings regarding Cap Juluca - pool, attitudes, etc. What is your take?

Thanks for all the interesting reading.

Dave.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Hi Dave,
I can't comment on the flying, as I've never been to Nevis, but I certainly can comment on Cuisinart. IT IS TRUE HEAVEN!!!!!!! We are going back to Cuisi for our fifth trip on November. The resort is just the ultimate. There is not one negative about it. First off the grounds are very well kept and just beautiful. The pool is fantastic, with a series of smaller wading pools that take you down to the beach. The pool staff is very attentive and they are quick to get your chairs set up and give you a bottle of water. There is always cold bottled water on hand.
That being said the entire staff in general is outstanding. Everyone is very friendly and ready to help. The general Manager came to our breakfast table every day and talked to us about our stay. He remembered us by name this year from previous visits.
The rooms are very nice and large. The bathrooms are marbled and fully stocked with Rusk products which you are free to take home.
I saved the very best for last-THE BEACH! Rendezvous Bay is spectacular. The water is so blue and warm. The sand is super white. It's just pristine.
Two more quick tips: They service Sorbet at the pool and beach at 3pm every day. It's yummy.
Second, if you take taxi's to dinner arrange to have the same driver take you each night you are there. They happily to that.
And one bonus: Don't miss Picante. A fantastic mexican restaurant. Best salso and strongest margaritas ever!!
Can you tell I love the Cuisinart and Anguilla. I know you will love it too Dave.

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Dave - we like the red-eye flt. 276 out of LAX to Miami. From there you can take American Eagle or Liat around the Caribbean. The other way we travel (West coast to the Caribbean is a bummer no matter how you slice it) is to fly from, actually, any of the west coast airports LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA/TAC on an afternoon flight to Chicago O"Hare (ORD). Stay overnight at the Airport Hilton (attached to the airport via underground tunnel). If you give yourself enough time you can also catch the subway downtown for the evening right outside the hotel elevators. From ORD catch an a.m. American flight to San Juan P.R. From San Juan you can get American Eagle or LIAT. The early flight from ORD to San Juan should connect with Amer. Eagle to the noon Nevis flight. I know that the 10-ish flight to San Juan will get you a connection to either St. Kitts or Anguilla. American service to Anguilla and/or St. Kitts is better than to Nevis (once a day, early afternoon) and LIAT is an island hopper. You might consider the flying around the Caribbean in selecting your initial flight out of the west coast. Overnight in Chicago or a red-eye can look pretty good at the end of all that mileage.
If all else fails contact Montpellier, They know how to do this from their end and can give you spot on info.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,

AnguillaGirl, I can hardly tell you love Anguilla! It's subtle, but I'm feeling it. You've sold me on CuisinArt!

Nevisian, calling Montpelier is a great idea. I'm also dreading that 7 am flight out of Nevis back home! Waking up TC, Marlon, etc. isn't the best way to make friends. I'm thinking of redeye all the way to Nevis, Winair to Anguilla and back home from St. Martin. Think that'll work?

Thanks for the great advice,

Dave
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I did stay at Cuisinart once but much prefer Cap Juluca. Everyone has their own idea of heaven I guess and Cap was it for me. I especially liked that the louvered "wall" opening completely to the outside and view of the water. It was delightful. At Cusinart, I found that it was not as comfortable because you almost had to rely on the a/c. I also found the water at Cusinart (maybe because of time of year) too rough because of the wind and we did travel to other beaches (mostly Caps) which is not my favorite thing to do. I also think that Cuisinart is more "family-friendly" and it is the only spot where we've had a baby in the room next door crying loudly some nights (I was going to go next door to feed it since the parents argued about whose turn it was!). Reports seem to indicate more children and families there. It is a beautiful property and certainly if you need/want a beautiful pool choose Cusinart. I don't care if there is a pool or not when you have a magnificant beach and wonderful water! I cannot address any present day issues but I found the people of Anguilla some of the most welcoming and pleasant in the Caribbean and the staff at Cap more than accomodating and professional. The dining at Cap is on the water unlike Cusinart. One trip stayed in the suite that had its own roof-top sundeck and another in a suite with the outdoor tub. Also like the bar/fridge on the balcony at Cap where you are served a wonderful contential breakfast each morning.
I'm sure you will enjoy whichever you choose.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:47 AM

I would do Nevis first. LIAT has a St Kitts Nevis Anguilla flight which you can take coming back and then take the early AM American flight to San Juan. If you get better connections thru St Martin you can take the Ferry from Anguilla to there and fly out
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM

I agree with Anguillagirl about Cuisinart. Service is wonderful, rooms large and comfortable, good spa, great service, beach to die for and really nice pool with great attendents. We looked at both Cuisinart and Cap when we went but my husband would curl up and die like a dried out slug if he didn't have a television. At Cap you have to pay extra for one which rubbed me the wrong way. Also their pool is said to be not very good. We enjoy both the beach and pool. There were two families with very well behaved children when we were there..no infants. I'd go back in a heartbeat but we discovered villas on St. Barts. Picante is a GREAT Mexican restaurant (and I don't even care for Mexican food)with very good service and resonable prices.

Haven't stayed on Nevis but have been on several day trips there and would like to stay for maybe four or five nights. I'm afraid I'd find it too quiet for a full week.

Keep us posted on your plans!

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Dave, Winair or LIAT will get you between the islands. Depending on your flight schedule you might try the ferry between Anguilla and St. Martin (Marigot). Just allow yourself a lot of time to get through Princess Juliana Airport. We visit St. M a lot for shopping and food (especially good cheese) and the airport rules and regs are strict. If you don't show up on time you are out of luck getting past the ticket counter. Then you sit around the waiting room and sit around some more. Do NOT cut your time close at SXM.
St.Kitts/Nevis ferry schedule: www.nevis1.com/nevis-ferry-schedule.html
Anguilla/St.Martin ferry schedule www.la-sirena.com/8UsefulInfo/ English/How_to_Anguilla_E.htm - 10k
We're taking the red-eye direct later this month. My only problem with the red-eye is that I snore. I hate the dirty looks when deplaning!
Don't fret over the early AmEagle out of NEV. You could be on the crack-of-dawn flt out of SKB which means that you have to be up at 4:a.m. to switch islands! Leaving out of NEV gets you an extra hour of sleep. Have a fun trip.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Ouch. Waking up at 4 am is not a good thing. Plus, my wife really wants to end the vacation on Nevis.

We've done the stay overnight at a hotel thing, the travel all day and get there really late, and the red-eye. The red-eye is the way to go for us. We stumble off the final plane, or boat, wobble to the bar, grab a Carib and away we go.

I think I've got it, thanks to all of you. Red-eye to St. Martin, ferry to Anguilla, Winair or Liat to Nevis and back to SF. Two weeks, about 30 hours of travel time, that's about right.

Maybe I SHOULD start going to Hawaii or Mexico...nah.

Dave