Search

Anguilla or Nevis?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anguilla or Nevis?

My husband and I are heading to the Caribbean for 8 nights in late May. We know that the last 5 nights of the vacation we will be staying at a villa in St. Barts. We are trying to figure out what to do for the first 3 nights. Last year we did an Anguilla/St. Barts split, which we loved, but I'm always wanting to try new islands. Would we enjoy Nevis/St. Barts or should we stick with Anguilla/St. Barts? We don't mind a quiet island for the first three nights, since we can party once we get to St. Barts.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM

Getting from Nevis to St. Barth's (SBH)may be the governing factor in your decision as you cannot travel directly between those two islands unless you are willng to go by private charter. You will first have to make your way from Nevis to SXM than catch a the ferry or a flight from SXM to SBH. Figure you'll be spending at least half a day travelling between NEV & SBH.

Since you don't say what you particularly liked about the the other islands you visited it's hard to say whether or not you would enjoy Nevis. The island is much more lush than the other two. Its dark sand beaches, which are attractive in their own right, do not compare to the ones you are used to seeing on Anguilla or St. Barth's. If you are into snorkeling, there's precious little of it on Nevis. The island does have several very good restaurants and it's many Plantation Inns give the island an "Old World Caribbean" feel.

Hope this helps.
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. We were pretty set on Anguilla/St. Barts for the ease of travel before I found out that Winair doesn't have a direct flight between Anguilla and St. Barts in late May. They did last year, so I was really surprised to find that out. So, if we go to Anguilla, we still have the problem of having to fly from AXA to SXM and then SXM to SBH. Due to the flight schedules, we would actually get to St. Barts two hours quicker by flying from Nevis than Anguilla. Since traveling from Nevis is not an issue, we are just trying to figure out if we'll like Nevis. We know that Nevis does not have the beautiful beaches of Anguilla, but we don't mind that because we will still have that on St. Barts. We are just looking for a different kind-of Caribbean feel, and it seems like we might find that on Nevis.
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:24 PM
iw

I am not sure that this answer will be helpful, but here goes! We are going back to Nevis for the 2nd year in a row. It is a beautiful island with very friendly people. We loved it! You can also take the ferry to St. Kitts for the day, which is an entirely different experience, IMHO. Having said that, I have not been to Anguilla, but on this trip, we would like to take the ferry from St.Martin to Anguilla since I have read so many positive comments about it. We will spend part of our time in St. Martin on this same trip. I like to explore different islands, usually, but we are returning to 3 that we have enjoyed in the past. (I plan on branching out next year with something entirely new) You really can't go wrong, you will be in the caribbean, right?
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM

Becca - since you have already come to terms with the traveltime issue than Nevis make a good choice since you are "looking for a different kind of Caribbean feel". Nevis is definitely very different than either AXA or SBH.

I personally think AXA has some of the best beaches in the Caribbean, SBH has a "European" sophistication that you can't find anywhere else in the Caribbean and Nevis is one of the prettiest islands in the Caribbean. You can't go wrog with visitng Nevis, and who knows, you may just discover why so many of us find the island enchanting. With only 3 days, I'd suggest you confine your stay to Nevis. There are so much to do and many areas to explore you won't have time to take a day trip to St, Kitts. Save that for another time.

While on Nevis, set aside time for hiking in the rain forest, visit many of the old ruins (there are several "lost" villages high up on the mountain - get Jim Johnson of Top to Bottom Tours to be your guide), walk the beaches, dine at one of the Plantation Inns, visit the Admiral Nelson Museum, enjoy the beauty of the Botanical Gardens, have a Killer Bee at Sunshines - and that's just for starters. Check out www.nevis1.com for a full list of what the island has to offer.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:52 PM
iw

If you go to Nevis, don't miss dinner at Oualie Beach with Chef Jason. He is awesome. After reading A Traveller's latest response, I would have to agree that a day trip to St. Kitts might be too much. The rain forest hike and the sights on Nevis are excellent. Let us know what you decide.
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:13 PM
cw

Agree that with only three days in Nevis, a day trip to St.Kitts would be too much. There is plenty to do (if you so choose!) in Nevis.

But I think it would fit well with the rest of your trip. You'd see a new place, and the travel time would not be an issue.

cw
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:55 AM

Since you're already returning to St. Barths, which is no risk because you know you love it, I would definitely suggest picking Nevis for all of the reasons everyone has already listed. And when given the choice, I would almost always choose to explore a new island.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:58 AM

I really think you will love Nevis and will enjoy immersing yourself in the awesome lushness of the island. Whether you're into lots of exploring or searching for relaxation, Nevis offers something for everyone. You will enjoy the warm and genuine hospitality and the cuisine as well.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM

I live in SXM. each one of the islands you mention have their unique characteristcs.
If you have not been to Nevis, that is certainly worth the trip.
I tthink you will love it there. The island is charming and the people are very nice.
while there be sure to stop at Sunshine's Beach bar. Try the Killer Bee drink. Powerful!
http://www.nevis1.com/sunshines.html
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM

Nevis is great -- a very low-key island with a lot of charm. Our favorite place there is Nesbit Plantation. Very lovely accomodations (we had the beachfront junior suite), nice beach, excellent food. Be sure to hire Marlon Brando for a tour of the island. He can usually be found hanging around Nesbit. Also take the rain forest hike, as A Traveller suggested.
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Marlon also rents cars, and he was wonderful to deal with.

Nevis has a variety of things to do, in addition to hanging out on the beach. There are a lot of historical sites, including a 16th century Jewish cemetery and old mill sites. People are warm and friendly and there's a cery tranquil, laid-back atmosphere.

The Golden Rock beach bar (next to Sunshine's) has amazing lobster sandwiches for lunch.
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:24 AM

oops, typo. I meant to write "very" tranquil.