Anguilla and ???? Nevis? Saba?

Nov 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Anguilla and ???? Nevis? Saba?

I'm looking for suggestions on a destination that will balance Anguilla. My number one criteria is somewhere that is not as expensive as Anguilla. Beach isn't important, do like to explore. Basically I would do what the island is known for. Second criteria is a place that is easy to get to from St Martin and/or Anguilla. I could do a week, but prefer 4 or 5 nights. Am thinking Nevis, but can't seem to find any mention to costs on the island. Other thought is Saba. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:29 AM
NM

We once started our vacation in St. Kitts and Nevis and then on to Anguilla. On St. Kitts we stayed at Ottleys and on Nevis at Montpelier. Nevis is much smaller than St. Kitts but more upscale & a bit more expensive. Neither of those islands have AXA's beaches or range of dining. We have wanted to go to Saba but it's harder to get to--everything is vertical--really hilly. St. Barts is other option but would be harder to find lower priced accomm. but very sophisicated with strong French influence.
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:13 AM
iw

I haven't been to Anguilla, but I have read a bunch about it. Nevis is a great little island. There is a budget-friendly hotel with a wonderful staff called Oualie Beach Hotel. It is a charming place where the rooms are in little cottages. It is not fancy, but it is clean. Their premier rooms are the way to go due to the larger bathroom. The food there is really good. Jim Johnson can customize hikes for you depending on your skill level. His rainforest hike is good and my husband did the more difficult volcano hike.
Nevis is easy to get to from St. Martin and you can take the ferry to St. Kitts to compare the two sister islands.
On St. Kitts, the Marriott, while large, offers a lot and there are a variety of room selections/prices.

I loved St. Barts, but accommodations are pricey. Emeraude Plage was good for us. Again, not fancy, but clean with an outdoor kitchen, which we made use of for lunch. I didn't find the food to be any more than on any other islands, although I had been told that it was.

Good luck..
Nov 25th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Obviously the "cost" of an island can vary significantly depending on where you stay. Nevis is not an inexpensive island but it is probably less expensive overall than Anguilla. Costwise, St. Barth's will be about the same or even more than Anguilla. Saba will be the least expensive of the islands on your list.

Unless you are willing to charter a private plane you will have to connect through St. Martin to reach any of those islands (you can reach St. Barth's by plane or ferry from St. Martin).
Nov 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM

For information on Nevis visit www.nevisisland.com and www.nevisforum.com

Nov 26th, 2007, 03:04 AM
iw

A_Traveller......I know that there is a ferry from SXM to St. Barts, but the flight landing is not to be missed when arriving in St. Barts.
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks....one can usually find reasonable accomadations. What I'm trying to avoid is the daily expensive dinners. Yes, I did splurge on my recent trip to Anguilla, but even when I didn't it quickly added up. I would love to see St Bart's, but someone just told me they spent $10 for an ice tea!

IW- thanks, I'll look into your hotel suggestions. Simple and clean works for me.
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Well, we are doing just that starting Friday night. We are staying at Cuisinart on Anguilla and then hopping over to Nevis, staying at Montpelier. We've stayed there before and it is a special place. We've also stayed at Nisbet which is on the beach.

We're going to fly Winair to Nevis from Anguilla. It LOOKS like it's easy, but we'll see.

We're planning on doing some hiking while on Nevis, snorkeling with Barbara Whitman and some kayaking.

Nevis has to be cheaper than Anguilla! But, I guess I'll find out in a few days. I'll try to remember to post when I get back!
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

DavefromCA-

Have a wonderful trip. That would be great if you could post sometime when you get back. I'm curious about a current comparasion of the 2 islands. In the meantime, at least there's the anguilla webcam.