Turks and Caicos - what area to stay

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Turks and Caicos - what area to stay

This is first trip to Turks and Caicos , going with family and grandkids . I am wondering what area is best area to stay in a villa. Is Grace Beach the only area where you can walk to restaurants, stores etc.? We want a nice beach area for swimming with kids. I'm looking at Crystal Sands in Sapodilla Bay. Is this an isolated area, where it's a long way to restaurants and other activities? Thanks all for suggestions and help.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Grace Bay is the only area where you can walk to restaurants.
Sapodilla Bay is about a 15 minute drive to the Grace Bay area. Look at Aquamarine Beach Houses..may work for you. Many condos on Grace Bay have 3 or even 4 bedrooms.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 05:47 AM

We stayed at South Fleetwood in Grace Bay and had a great time. They have 3 different units that could house up to 12. With your own pool it may be ideal.

Even when you stay in Grace Bay, your options are relatively limited if you chose to walk to get dinner. Renting a car isn't expensive, so I would highly recommend a car for at least part of your stay.

Sapodilla Bay is one of our favorite beaches, along side neighboring Taylor Bay.

Check out our trip report - we had a great time there!

http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...esome-trip.cfm
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Another vote for Aquamarine Beach Houses (they look much nicer in real life than on the web site). They are situated toward one end of Grace Bay Beach so it would be a long walk/short drive to restuarants etc. Crystal Sands is very nice too but a good drive from everything. For a first timer I recommend staying on Grace Bay. Most of the accomodations along Grace Bay are more "condo" type units as opposed to straight hotel rooms so you would still get a living area, kitchen etc.. Check out the Sands as well.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I 2nd The Sands for a condo, great location, excellent staff, restaurant is casual, recent (last 2 yrs) renovation on condos.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM

take a look at villa bella sur mer. it's near turtle cove marina, directly on grace bay beach with pool. you could walk to 6 restaurants, but you will need a car as groceries are too far and depending on when you're going you probably won't want to walk to dinner because you'll be freshly showered and it will be Hot.
crystal sands is a good house and sopadilla bay beach is outstanding for kids as it's shallow for quite a ways out so they can play to hearts content. the drive to grace bay beach is not long at all and when we stayed on neighboring taylor bay beach we felt like we were "escaping" back to our house.
aquamarinebeachhouses get excellent reviews and are in a very good location - not far from things but away enough to feel like you're away from the resorts.
almost all of grace bay beach is good for kids to swim.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Check out www.oceanclubresorts.com Ocean Club West. It's in a great, central location where you can walk to much.

We have stayed there 3 years and plan to take the grandkids next April. The beach & pool area is perfect with a beach restaurant for all three meals, plus grills on an island in the pool if you wish to grill out.

The major grocery store is a 5 min. walk and all rooms are condo type with kitchens---a must with little ones.

They have 1,2,3 bedroom layouts.