Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report: Staniel Cay, Exuma, Bahamas

http://www.nbptravel.com/StanielCay.html
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the great trip report! I must add this place to my list
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:35 PM

That looks awesome! It strengthens my resolve to go there soon. Our closest sailing friends are headed for the Bahamas later this year on their boat, and have invited us to visit them sometime next spring, so, just maybe, we'll get there next year.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM

The pics were great. Anyone else have problems with the pictures blocking the text? I was only able to read parts of the report. I did get to read the second boat adventure. Hopefully you can laugh about it now.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 05:18 PM

LOVE IT!!
I've always wanted to go to SYC. I love the sharks. And the pigs. Did you get in the water with the sharks? You guys are much braver than we are for taking out the whaler. Glad it all worked out well.

Where is your next trip?
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM

Ahh, that was great! Thank you so much for posting your hot date trip report. Will you go back with Patrick? or for another Hot Date?

Can you tell us more about the food?
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM

As always, love love love your report and pictures! 8-)
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 05:39 AM

What a wonderful trip report! My mother, myself and my little girl "did" some of the out islands (including Bimini, one of our favs) 2 years ago and my mom keeps mentioning how much she loved it and wants to go back....you have convinced me that this is the place we need to go next! The rates seem very reasonable too....my daughter would love the pigs and sharks!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Always love reading your trip reports. Compass cay looks awesome. So sorry about your boat adventure...we've considered renting one too but haven't felt brave enough.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Brenandg: I think you had the same problem with my last trip report. I think it's just you. Very strange. I wish I were tech savvy enough to tell you what the problem is.

Mymoosie: Yes, we got in the water with the very tame nurse sharks. Not right away though. We only did it after we saw several children doing it. So I'm not sure we're that brave. Lol. We (all 3 of us) are going to Virgin Gorda (first time) for a few days in October (birthday/anniversary trip).

Emily & Caribqueen: SCYC is a great place for kids. We would definitely go back with Patrick but only when he's mastered swimming. He's taking lessons now but he's now quite there yet.

Emily: Breakfast was served between 8am-10am. You can get all your standard breakfast food. We only tried the eggs and the pancakes. Before serving you what you ordered, they do bring you a wonderful piece of fresh fruit like orange, grapefruit, honeydew, and cantaloupe. Breakfast was always very good.

Lunch and appetizer menus are available 11:30am till 9pm. You can get salads and fish or meat sandwiches. We tried the cheeseburger (okay), the tuna sandwich (very good) and the BLT (very good). We didn't see/try anything from the appetizer menu. They also offer boxed picnic lunches if you want to spend the day out on the boat. It consists of 1 sandwich/person, 1 small pringles/person, 1 small canned fruit/person and 1 drink/person.

Dinner is served promptly at 7:30pm with the ringing of a bell (very cool). Not before, not after. You have to let them know by 5pm what you want on the menu.

Menu options: Fresh Catch of Fish, Bahamian Cracked Conch, Local lobster (seasonal - not avail during our time there), Beef, Rack of Lamb, Pork, Baby Back Ribs, Chicken, Rock Cornish Hen.

With the choice of entree, you get one of the following side dishes: peas and rice, baked potato, chunky parsley potatoes or french fries. The only side dish we didn't like was the peas and rice. Everything else was good.

We tried the grouper, the mahi mahi, the beef, the pork, the chicken and the ribs. The ribs were disappointing. I wasn't crazy about the bbq sauce. Everything else was very good. I especially loved the beef (the meat was tender and the gravy was tasty). My husband loved the fish.

Dessert: It was a different one each night and everyone gets the same thing. During our time, we had carrot cake, cheesecake, pineapple cake, key lime pie and some kind of cheese pie. They were all okay, not great.

I should probably add all of this to my trip report!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Oh and dinner starters: A different soup each night (carrot, asparagus, conch chowder, broccoli). We only tried the conch chowder and the carrot ones. They were good.
Then everyone got a small salad.