STT+SYJ Trip Report - Part 6

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Francis Bay Saltpond Trail: We went early in the morning, but if you are a "birder", I would go very early in the am. Half the trail - you can't even see the water. Wear shoes, not flip-flops like my daughter did (more about injuries later). The other half - you can see the water + several bird species (+ I'm sure a lot more if you have binoculars, time, + patience). Saw stilts + sandpiper family of birds. Kids loved watching the little crabs tunnel for cover when they walked in the low areas. The trail comes out near the sign (just before the restroom) at Francis Beach. The walk back to your car (if you parked at the trail head) is a short .2 miles. If I did this again I would park at the beach + take the trail back to the trail head parking lot. If you start this way, you'll need to know there is no sign for the trail. As you are walking on the road away from the beach, you'll pass the restroom + pass the Francis Bay beach sign on the left. Now look to your left for a trail going into the trees.

Francis Bay: This beach is large + gorgeous. Practically no one there in the morning during the week - couldn't believe it. Some part is rocky + I was told if you snorkel off the rocky beach you'll have a better chance of seeing turtles. However, it looked eerie to us so we didn't snorkel there. We did snorkel right off the sandy part of the beach (it was good). Now for the entertainment.... my 11-yr old son was on my rt and my 16-yr old daughter was on my left and we were snorkeling toward shore, when I spotted a 4-foot long baracuda between us + the shore. I pointed it out + my daughter immediately splashed toward my feet to back away + I used my right arm to push my son behind me. My son was frantically asking if it was a shark, but I don't think he felt better that it was a baracuda (we all just stared at its many teeth). With holding my son back + having inactive feet (tied up in my daughter's splashing), I was not able to peddle backwards + the waves carried us closer to the monster. So I gave up + just floated us all over it - I think it was only about a foot from my bellybutton! Those are the kind of tales we'll love telling for years. I would recommend not missing this beach.

First Aid: I thought I packed enough bandaids, but ran out - there were plenty of places to buy more though. My daughter tore a big chunk of skin off her toe when walking the Francis Bay trail with flip-flops. Since we spent so much time in the water, bandaids weren't staying on too well. I couldn't find first aid tape anywhere on STJ. Finally found some at the pharmacy in Red Hook by the Subway (food good there).

Coral Bay: Pretty. Ate at Skinny Legs. Super service + good food. Look at the "windchime" + make up your own stories! I recommend stopping at Skinny Legs to eat + shop.

Saltpond Bay: Beautiful + large. However, we found it rockier + more crowded than other beaches. Snorkeling great along rocks closest to entrance. I recommend not missing this beach either if you have time.

That's it - no more Trip Reports - although I could go on + on....I think we were in paradise + I want to live there...
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM

I have read every chapter of your trip report and loved it. I think the barracuda story was the best followed by the shark knife! Very entertaining report.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:11 PM

oooohhh...the baracuda part was exciting and scary! thanks again for your detailed reports!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for taking the time to post your reports. They were great reading.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:05 AM

Thanks for the report.

We enjoyed snorkeling around the rocks in Francis Bay.(looking towards the water to the far left)We saw tons of fish there.

Do you happen to snorkel there?

Christie
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:40 AM

I know that barracuda well. They're territorial, you know. I once chased him with a camera thinking he was one of those big tarpons only to have him turn around and check me out as if to say: "And what do you think you're doing?" They are actually pretty standoffish and not known to attack humans, unless you provoke them like chasing them. You were in paradise. You've got the fever now. You'll have to go back as soon as you're able. Thanks for your wonderful reports!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Correction - as you are walking away from Francis Bay beach, the restrooms and sign are on the RIGHT. The trail (without a sign) is on the left.

We didn't snorkel to the far left at this beach, but more up the middle!