Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Nevis - Hurricane Cove Bungalows or Elsewhere?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at Hurricane Cove in the last couple of years? I believe they were closed for renovations, but are they open again?

I'm interested in Nevis for next Feb/March. I'm just not a Four Seasons type, but I would like something interesting and not too far from the beach and would pay up to $500/night for the right place. Hurricane Cove has always looked appealing to me, and I'm also looking into Oualie Beach on the strength of mymoosie's trip report. Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:10 AM
iw

I have not stayed at Hurricane Cove, but have been to Oualie 3 times. While the opposite of Four Seasons, the premier rooms are fine. Very clean, great food, nice beach and wonderful staff that does know your name.
Oualie also has some villas for rent that might interest you. Their website is www.oualiebeach.com.
I have looked at Hurricane Cove before and agree that it is nice, but it was closed when I needed to book last year.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:29 AM

What about Nisbet?
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Nisbet looks absolutely wonderful, but the winter rates are a bit of a stretch (though they are MAP). Since it will be my 20th anniversary year, we might just do it anyway.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:54 AM
iw

Oh, bite the bullet and stay at Nisbet. It is beautiful!! I have heard/spoken with people that were there and were very pleased.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Second the motion for Nisbet -- it is worth it -- the meals you get are easily worth another $200 a day. You don't need the top category room -- I think the mid-range deluxe rooms are actually my favorite -- separate screened-in porch living room and two rooms to an individual bungalow -- just charming. We went in shoulder season and thought it was a good value.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:16 AM

I have always had Hurricane Cove on my list, ever since I first saw pics of it. Two years ago, we rented a villa right near Oalie, called Yellow Bird. It was great (pool and lots of shutters that opened etc) but I loved Hurricane Cove even more when we saw it. It is perched on a bluff overlooking Oalie, as you may already know. So you'd be walking distance to both Oalie and Lover's beach (on the other side of the bluff). I even had a unit picked out, the remote one bedroom with private pool (Williwah). Oh to have pelicans soaring BELOW you!

We visited Nisbet, and it is nice, but it's still a resort, and set a bit back from the beach. For the money, I'd love that view - which Nisbet units don't seem to have...

I vote Hurricane Cove!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Hi Callaloo,

They were open when we went. We saw a group walk by our cottage almost daily and eat at Oualie's restaurant for breakfast.

I did notice on the real estate listings that Hurricane Cove is for sale. Wanna buy the property?

Old Jun 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM

How is the Four Seasons Resort and going in the month of September??
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM

September is nice, although it is typically the hottest and muggiest of months. Also it is in the height of hurricane season so the weather can be unstable. A lot of restuarant close down during September for vacations and maintenance.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:44 AM

We've been to Nevis in September quite often. Weather is generally good but on the warm site - average temperatures are in the mid-to-high 80's F. The island averages about 5" of rain in September. As for hurricanes, since 1851 there have been 30 hurricanes come within 50 miles of the island and only 4 of those came as close as under 10 miles.

Four Seasons is one of the few resorts that remain open all year. From a tourist perspective the island is very quite at that time of year - many restaurants are closed and others operate with limited schedules.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:04 AM

Thanks...I think we will go somewhere else. Sounds like the weather may not be in our favor. Thanks for your help!!!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:42 AM

pw22 - FYI - You are going to encounter similar weather conditions on just about every Caribbean island during September.

Possible exception are the islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. While hurricanes are not unheard of on these islands they are quite rare. Temperature wise they will be a few degree warmer than the more northerly islands.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM

I stayed at Hurricane Cove in 2006 and loved it. It was a short walk to Oaulie Beach.

You can read more about this property on the forum at www.myislands.myeyez.net

For more information on Nevis visit www.nevisforum.com

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Callaloo, come back and tell us what you decided!!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Since we only have a long weekend, and decided that Nevis deserved more time than that, we're going somewhere else altogether -- we're going to stay at the Horned Dorset Primavera in Rincon, PR. Saving Nevis for a later trip and avoiding the decision as to where exactly to stay til then.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Aaahhh, that makes alot of sense. PR is a non stop from so many cities.

Horned Dorset? I have heard many good things about it, have a great time.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 05:56 PM
iw

I definitely agree that Nevis deserves more time than that and air travel is more than likely, not on time.
Good decision. Can't wait for a report as I am stuck in a teacher recertification class!!!