Trip report from Turks and Caicos-Provo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I visited the island of Provo in December of 2004 and loved it! If you are interested in this island please feel free to read my trip report and view my photos (tons of photos)on my website www.nbhtravel.com We stayed at the Comfort Suites and did lots of snorkeling and beach hiking. Enjoy the travel journal, thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Gin

Hi,
I read your travel report and it was great. Chock full of info. We're headed to T&C's in Feb. and this just made me more excited. One question, what time of day were you at Coral Gardens? When we went last year, we weren't as lucky as you as we saw no sharks or rays. Hopefully, we'll have better luck this year.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Your trip report and the pictures that accompany it are awesome! Isn't the snorkeling at Coral Gardens the best? We weren't fortunate enough to see an eagle ray or shark (I'm glad of this one!) but saw the turtles and everything else. It is so relaxing to just glide on top of the water and watch their world below. Your trip report brought back so many great memories of our last vacation - thank you!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:10 PM

What a fantastic trip report! I'm also an "ocean loving" Ohioan.
We've been debating whether or not to go to Provo this summer, as I hear construction is abound. Did the construction affect your overall impression of the island at all? I know to find accommodations that are not right next to it, but I don't want it to be too obtrusive as a whole.
What really helped me in your report was how many reasonable local restaurants you found. We love Grand Cayman, but usually spend a lot on food there, and I thought Provo was the same. However, it sounds like it can be pretty affordable. Also, how is the beach by the Comfort Suites?
One more question-are all the trip reports on your website yours? If so, good for you!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Thanks for your wonderful Trip Report. We are headed for two weeks at Coral Gardens in June, can't wait.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:29 AM

Great report and pics. You have a great eye! We are heading down to Provo in May and love to snorkel from shore. Looks very good. Thanks again!

Peace, Greenie
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:16 AM
cdt

To summer04:
I assume you know that Comfort Suites is not right on the beach. It's a short walk - maybe 1/4 mile - and there is a shade structure and some chairs reserved for C/S guests.

I believe there are construction projects right now on both sides of the Comfort Suites beach access point. (When we were there several months ago, one project was underway but they had not yet torn down the Allegro). You might want to look for some up-to-date info. on this before booking.

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM

To cdt: Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that Comfort Suites were just across the street. I'm having trouble getting a true "feel" of what Provo would be like. I know the beautiful beaches, water sports, and restaurants are great. I know it is less developed than Cayman, which is my personal favorite, but do you get a feeling of it being barren and isolated when you're there? Don't mean to sound negative, but need to know what to expect. Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 12:36 PM

We have been to Grand Cayman three times and Provo three times. My impression of Provo is that it is like Grand Cayman used to be before it got so developed. The only real difference is that Grand Cayman has a town at the end of the condo strip and Provo does not. Every inch of Grand Cayman shore has a structure on it, but Provo still has a few empty spots left, but it won't be long before every spot is taken. Homes are not as upscale in Provo as in Grand Cayman. Traffic in Provo is nothing like Traffic in Grand Caymen, just not as many people living on Provo. There is no real town on Provo.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I am glad everyone enjoyed the trip report and photos..hope they helped everyone out.

Now to answer a few questions:

Gin: We were at Coral Gardens at all different times of the day and each time was pretty equal. The visibility is best in the morning...we were usually out between 9am and 11am.I hope the shark and the ray make an appearance for you...they are amazing to see!

Summer04: Hello, fellow Ohioan! As someone already mentioned, the CS is not on the beach, but it is a short walk across the street and down an access path to Grace Bay, which is beautiful. The construction is really booming on Provo...it will only be a few more years before it is a major destination. None of the construction bothered me though, except the realization that the pristine feel and the wide open beaches will soon be gone. I wish the Island govt. would designate more of the land as national park...most of the parks are marine only, leaving the beaches open for developers. For instance, Chalk Sound looked beautiful...what we could see between private homes..it was virtually impossible to get down to the water. So get there soon if you want to see it in a more pristine state. Oh, and yep, all the reports are mine...I have been lucky to see some great places in our world.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies and questions. Feel free to email me if you have any other thoughts..or just post here. My email can be found on my website Happy travels.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:57 PM
anonxx

FYI. Just to clarify. Grand Cayman has lots of open shoreline and beaches. You just need to get out of the 7MB area. We now stay on the East End, and it is the opposite of 7MB.

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Hi, as you may see from other posts, my wife and I are contemplating a "sit on our butts for 4 days" vacay real soon, preferably T&C.

Looks like our only choices are Sands, ocean Club and maybe Sibonne. Any other thoughts?

I don't want to hear construction my whole time there

dc
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:20 AM

dcronin:
Of the 3 places you mentioned:
We stayed at Sibonne before it was Sibonne (it was Le Deck then). The location is excellent - all rooms are literally steps from the beach (and the beach is lovely.) It is a relatively short walk (15-20 minutes) down the beach to the reef in front of Coral Gardens. However the pool is tiny (if that is important to you).
We ate lunch at the Sands and it is a lovely property (just a short walk from Sibonne - so same lovely beach front) and the pool is nice.
I haven't stayed at Ocean Club but it looks nice. Note however that it is not near snorkeling.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:02 AM

Thanks!

Leaning towards Sands
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:01 PM

Hi velodurt,

My wife and I were viewing your pictures (as we visited Provo during the same time you did), and she remembers seeing you two at the Coral Gardens beachside cafe that Friday afternoon. She was at the cafe with our baby boy while I was out snorkeling. She eyed the delicious burgers you two were enjoying, and when I joined her later, she made sure I ordered one.

Anyways, I very much enjoyed your trip report and photos!!! It's pretty cool knowing that we sort of crossed paths during our travels.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi bluefan! I know just who you are!! I remember talking to my friend about how cute your son is!!! Thank you so much for posting and saying hello. Wasn't the snorkeling awesome? Did you get to see the nurse shark or the eagle ray? Please feel free to email me anytime...there is a link on my website. Happy travels.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Bluefan: PS---I forgot to say how cute those sunglasses were on your son...that is what made him totally adorable.