Trip Report: Beaches Negril

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from a week stay at Beaches Negril. Can answer any questions about the stay ...
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Great! We are going in May. Please email & let me know everything that you would have liked to know. How was the safety, rooms, food,etc.
How was the entertainment? Did you do any tours? Plus how long was the trip to & from the airport?

Thanks!

[email protected]
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Did you write a trip report somewhere?? We're going in August, and would love to hear your experience
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM

I also would love a trip report...Can we persuade you to write a short one...looking for comparisons to Beaches T&C as well
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Here's my response to Alice:

Weather was fabulous. Water was choppy and they cancelled waterskiing for a few days. (By the way, if you want to waterski they require a one-hour lesson given twice a day.) They have a new spa that is quite nice. You'll see it when you enter the resort.

No safety issues whatsoever. When you walk down the beach they record your name and room number and note that you have returned. It would be difficult for nonguests to get in the resort. Margaritaville is about a 10-minute walk down the beach. It's probably only attractive to college students.

Tappanaka (Japanese restaurant) is good. Be sure to make reservations when you arrive--they only have 4-5 tables.

In addition to collared shirts and dress pants or khakis for men and boys, be sure you bring leather shoes. You can not go in the white glove restaurant without them. They don't mention this on the website on in the literature. They have four pairs of loaner shoes but they go quickly. Also if you go to Sandy Bay to eat you will need them. Sandy Bay restaurants book quickly because they are at capacity. If you want to go there for a meal, book early in your stay.

We were upgraded when we arrive to a Honeymoon Suite located in Santa Cruz. We are members of the signature guest club. However, we met another family who were not members and they also were upgraded. You need to ask when you check in. We liked the Santa Cruz block for location--close to restaurants, beach, watersports.

We ate at the Saloon the first nite and didn't like it. We were also very tired from the trip. One night they had a beach party and a "picnic" on the beach. That was fun and they had entertainment. If you have kids, you will want to go for sure. They had a number of activities for kids.

It took about an hour to get from the airport to the resort by van. We had a good driver who gave us a tour on the way. Customs was backed up and that amounted to 45 minutes or more in the airport. Then a wait of about 30 minutes till the van was ready to go.

We did not do any tours. We would have gone to Ricks Cafe but ran out of time. Costs about $15 a person for the cab ride. I heard the lines were very long there. Last year we were in Ocho Rios and did the horseback riding in the ocean tour and liked it. We also did a shopping tour that was a waste. this year, they allowed several vendors to sell their wares at the resort on Thursday. We did better there.

I have a high school age boy and a college student daughter. They thought the entertainment was better at Beaches Boscobel. However, they didn't mind too much. I believe it is aimed at a younger age group.

Anything else??
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Love the info! I will be emailing you for more!

As for a comparison, try posting at www.tropictravelonline.com
They have a whole forum just for Beaches resorts.There are a couple of posts about T&C.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Great report, Cbh3!

My son is 13- do you think there's enough going on to keep him busy??
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

I do think there is enough for a 13 year old. The evening activities would seem to be targeted more for his age. There seemed to be a fair amount of kids staying there in his age group.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:13 PM

We were just next door at couples Swept Away. The only way we can get back to Jamaica is to bring out 2 boys, 8 & 5.Beaches was next door & of course we walked down and looked a few days. Looks like they are building a couple cool looking water slides. I checked out their web site when we got back the other day...looked good to me. Is there a video arcade there? No charge? We just loved Swept Away and Jamaica...just trying to figure how to get back with the kids. Have you stayed at other Beaches resorts in Jamaica...which do you think would be better for 2 boys 8 & 5?
Thanks,Mark
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 03:29 PM

We are going to Beaches Negril in May. Yes, they do have a video arcade at no charge. If you go to the beaches.com site & click on Beaches Negril, it will give you all the amenities. I think it will be a great place for kids & parents.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Mark: We did not go in the video arcade looked like something they would like from the outside though.

We went to Beaches Boscobel last year. The major differences seem to be the size of the beach and golf. Boscobel has a much smaller beach compared with Beaches Negril. Also complimentary golf at Boscobel. There seemed to be alot going on at night for teens but your kids are younger.