Last Minute trip to Jamaica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are spending the next few days at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort in Jamaica. He booked the trip a few weeks ago through his sister's best friend, who is a travel agent., but I only found out where we were going a few days ago. Any advice for us? Suggestions? We are in our early 50's and this is for our 5th wedding anniversary.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Relax, have a ball - if you can go on a few outings that would be nice . climb Dunn's River Falls or laze on the white sand beaches in Negril, go to Rick's Cafe to watch the sunset .
Try some local dishes, try Red Stripe Beer .

You won't regret your stay - as they say "Jamaica no problem" and "One Love"
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

We had a blast. Customs and immigration at the Montego Bay Airport ran very smoothly and efficiently. The ride to our resort, which is near Lucea, is about 45 minutes from the MB airport. We did not have time to shop, as we were only there 3 nights, so I cannot offer any advice in that area.
We stayed on the Lady Hamilton (Adult) side of this all-inclusive resort. Our villa was lovely -- comfy king bed and a jacuzzi the size of a double bed. Our only shower was outside -- and we loved it. Enclosed on four sides but open to the sky. You entered it from our huge bathroom through glass doors. DH showered as much as possible. We had a fantastic view on three sides of the villa.
The food and service at the all-inclusive resort were inconsistent. Bubba's Steak house had excellent T-bones and New York Strips. Avoid the Sirloin and Rib Eye cuts. Long pants are required of the men at several of the restaurants. The Italian restaurant was disappointing.
However, we learned 4 things that may influence you if you are planning a trip. (1)Don't expect really cold air conditioning in your villa -- their system is not a typical a/c, but we had heard that on tripadvisor.com (2) Unlike the Moon Palace in Cancun, there are no waiters roaming around the pool or the beach. Tripadvisor.com said to bring your own mug, because the trips from the pool or beach to the bar are sort of long, and ice melts quickly! (3)The scenery is beautiful at this resort, but the beaches are rather small. If you want beautiful fine white sand or to take a long walk on the beach, this is not the resort for you. (4) No internet service in your room -- only in the open air lobby. Or, you can pay to use a desk top in their shop.
We did a zip line tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt very safely secured in our harness. We are not the adventurous type, but we loved this.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I wanted to add a few things to my above post --We are blessed to live within 15 minutes of the World's Most Beautiful beaches, i.e. the fine white sand beaches of the Northwest Florida. So, we weren't bummed about the beaches at the resort. We are used to hot humid weather, but we never could get our room cool, even with maintenance visiting.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM
KVR

Glad you had a nice trip. Your villa sounds great. What area is the resort closer to; Montego Bay, Negril or Ocho Rios?
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

It is closest to Montego Bay.