Where to go with small children?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a vacation spot for ourselves and our 2 kids, ages 3 & 4. We need at least one separate bedroom so we can all get some sleep. However, we want to have the amenities of a resort. Our big three requirements are a great pool, decent beach, and a restaurant on site. We plan to travel in early December. We'd like to spend under $5000 including airfare from Boston but would spend more for an AI. Any ideas for us? We've been to numerous islands in the Carribean but are just looking for some new ideas. Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 05:16 AM

The Sands Resort in Turks and Caicos totally fit all of your criteria.
They are "condo" units, with full kitchens, dining, etc, but treated like a resort. Very cool pool, including a kiddy pool. Great restaurant, and you can walk over to other restaurants also. One of the best beaches in the world, and one of the most kid friendly beaches. Perfect for what you are looking for.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM

We just returned from Beaches Negril - it was perfect for our 3 y/o. I have no idea what the room costs would be at the time of year (it was heavily discounted for August/September). I'll eventually get a trip report posted. The great thing was being all-inclusive and very much geared for the young-kid set. We had no trouble at all keeping DS entertained. There were loads of Sesame Street activites, a kids club (childcare) included in the price all day, nanny care available at night ($8 an hour - a bargain) so parents can have adult time, etc. We really loved it and plan to do it again in a few years. The beach is shallow for quite a ways and the waters were very calm. The pools were great. The culture is extremely child-friendly.

In regard to a room - We opted to take a kiddie play-tent with us for our son. We just set it up in one corner of the room. He had his own space and place to sleep, without the expense of an suite. It worked out very well for us. He was so pooped at the end of the day he went right to sleep and we were still able to read/shower, etc. as needed without disturbing him.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 05:16 AM

We rented the cottage at the Flamboyant Hotel in Grenada...they have a reasonable pool - may have been upgraded since the hurricane...great beach - restuarant on site that was on the beach and delightful...restaurants within walking distance and the cottage itself has a breathtaking view of the beach and St. Georges...with two bedrooms on opposite sides of the little cottage with a dinning area, living area and equipped kitchen - but the long veranda with the BREATHTAKING views is IT!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

We actually stayed at the Sands 2 years ago & loved it, that's actually sort of our back-up option if we don't come up with any new ideas. Beaches in Negril sounds good, I always just think of them in T&C which gets bad reviews but the Jamaica idea is a good one. Also, the tent idea is great, although I think my 2 kids might spend the whole night giggling in there! I hadn't ever thought of Grenada, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestions and I'd love to hear any additional ones.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Try a family cottage at The Buccaneer on St. Croix. Pool is decent, beach is great for little ones. Nice resort. Good rates at that time of year. Family friendly. Eating out is not cheap for dinner but great food.