Tortola Day-Trips

May 7th, 2002, 02:35 PM
WildBill

Tortola Day-Trips

Going to Tortola for 4 nights in a couple of weeks. What are some good day trips? I was thinking of the following: Jost Van Dyke; Anegada(can you do this by boat from Tortola or air only?); The Baths on VG; Diving the Rhone? Also have 3 nights on STT. Was thinking of at least 1 day and maybe 2 on St. Johns for beaches, hiking and snorkeling. Anything else that's a must do? Thanks

May 7th, 2002, 02:40 PM
amsta06

If staying on Tortola, the baths is a must do. It's an all day trip though. It is amazing. You can get the trip directly w/ the Ferry operator, I can't remeber which one we used, Smith's or Native Son. Get the one that offers the lunch & transfers. I personally would only go to STT for the shopping. Stay on STJ instead for 3 nights & Tortola for 4. One of the best places to eat on Tortola is Sebastians on the beach, also the Lime & Mango. Try a painkiller at Pusser's if you like rum. Smuggler's Cove is a great beach for swimming. Take some powerful mosquito repellant though or you'll get eaten alive!!

May 7th, 2002, 03:17 PM
linda

Hi Bill,
I hate to dis others, but I'll add my two cents. I would do my own lunch in VG at the Top of the Baths. It's great- live music, good drinks, beautiful view and a little shopping.Do Anegada by Clair Aero- the sail is awfully long.The ferry to Jost is at West End. Okay, this gives you only one day at Tortola? I suggest you do VG, JVD and save Anegada for another trip; rent a jeep to do all of Tortola.Agree with other poster about STT- yuk. What a letdown. I did not care for food at Sebastian's. I loved Palm's Delight, just down the road a bit. Take cash! Best deal on the Island. Also great were Ft Burt's buffet (Wed. I think), Myett's grilled selections, Quito's roti, Sugar Mill for gourmet and Shell Museum's awesome $5 "island breakfast". Don't miss this, it is a kooky place with great food!Be sure to hit the Baths early and not on cruise ship days. We enjoyed going on a Sun morning. Have fun!

May 7th, 2002, 04:52 PM
jackie

The Baths and lunch at the Topis definitely a must do as is a day sail with snorkling. We also did a day at Peter Island Resort. They have a great beach and restaurant for lunch. It was a perfect day.

May 7th, 2002, 09:49 PM
RichF

I was in the same situation earlier this year, 5 days/4 nights in Tortola. I would say definetly skip Anegada. This was my plan:

1. Virgin Gorda and The Baths - Great snorkeling from baths to Spring Bay. Continue to the end and walk over a path to Little Trunk Bay which is an absolutly fantasic beach.

2. Jost Van Dyke - If you like hiking, go from where the ferry docks in Great Bay, to White Bay home of the Soggy Dollar Bar. There is good snorkeling at the far end of this lovely beach. If you miss the last ferry, don't worry there is plenty of boats going back.

3. Peter Island - Deadmans Bay, in my opinion is a postcard quality beach. If you can tear yourself away, there are several deserted beaches with great snorkeling. You can walk around the loop of the 5 mile long island. By the way, take the ferry associated with the Peter Island Resort located on Deadmans Bay, not the Prospect Reef ferry.

4. Explore Tortola by 4x4. The north coast make for a fantastic day. Don't miss Long Bay Beef Island, Cane Garden Bay, Brewers Bay and Smugglers Cove. For something different check out Marina Cay - free ferry and good snorkeling.

May 8th, 2002, 08:01 AM
barbara

No one has mentioned a day sailing trip from Tortola. The Patouche II does 1/2 and full day catamaran sails with snorkeling. My husband and I were on Tortola for a week and found this to a great adventure. I would highly recommend it. Went to St. Thomas one day. The ferry ride was greatly over priced and St. Thomas was carribean commercial in the worst possible way. I would not bother with St. Thomas.

May 8th, 2002, 09:04 AM
WildBill

Thanks for the replies.

May 8th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Adele

I heartily second the idea of taking a daysail on Patouche. Our family spent a week in Tortola two years ago and one of the highlights of the trip was our day on the Patouche. We went to 4 or 5 sites (including Deadman's Nay on Peter Island) to snorkel and had a fabulous time. We even saw a barracuda. Joe and Julie are fantastic hosts. The kids still talk about it.