Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where should we spend last 2 days after Virgin Gorda?

Mar 21st, 2002, 06:42 PM
Mari

We will be staying at the Little Dix Bay Hotel on Virgin Gorda for 5 days and are flying into Tortola. We were thinking about spending the last two days of our trip on Tortola but are wondering if there are any better ideas out there?
Is there a great place nearby Tortola to stay at or should we stick to Virgin Gorda for 5 nights and Tortola for two? Thanks.

Mar 21st, 2002, 07:13 PM
Linda

Mari I would stay at the west end....preferably Long Bay. That way, you can ferry to Jost Van Dyke one day and do the fun part of Tortola (Cane and Apple garden bays)the next. Email if you need more info.

Mar 21st, 2002, 09:41 PM
curious

linda- is the whole island nice? would you recommend staying anywhere else?

Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:58 AM
anonymous

if you go back in the archieves there is a whole thread about resorts and Tortola. good advice there from a Joel. after Little Dix, Long Bay and Tortala will be a big let down.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:40 AM
Linda

Sorry to disagree. I love Little Dix, but think Cane Garden Bay is so much fun at night. The smells, the music, the ships. It will be a good change.And Jost is gorgeous. Yes, all of Tortola is nice. It is very mountainous and a little tough driving, but not impossible. The people are lovely. There are no luxury resorts there as on VG- that's why I suggested Long Bay. It's the nicest I saw.We had a great week there. They have a gym, tennis courts and a HUGE pool.Close to the pretty shopping area at the west End and the ferry.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:38 AM
Jackqueline

after little dix and virgin gorda tortola will be a let down. the beach at long bay is lovely but not very swimmable most of the time. between the rocks in the shore line and walking a football length before getting above your ankles wet if it's not too rough. read the articles in the bvi beacon about the pollution at cane garden bay and see if you still want to go in the water or join the cruise ship crowds there. there is no luxury resorts and only a couple of nice beaches on tortola and it would be nice to continue and end a great vacation at another lovely spot. but then depends on the kind of activity that you want.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:21 AM
Mari

Thanks for all your replies. I'm wondering if we should just extend our stay at Little Dix for 7 days and make it our permanent base for the whole trip.
Is it possible to go to St. John for the last 2 days and then catch our flight out of Beef Island or would that be to hectic?
Also,my husband has just heard about Bomba's Full Moon(yikes)and Quito's on Tortola and wants to check it out but I also want luxury accomodations, a great beach and atmosphere. What to do?

Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:31 AM
alexis

I would recommend staying at Little Dix AND Caneel Bay on St.John (they are sister properties). The hotel offers a complimentery water shuttle between the two hotels. I'm sure the hotel could arrange to transfer you to Caneel Bay for two nights where you could explore St.John, take advantage of Caneels seven beaches and travel into St. Thomas for some shopping and sightseeing. You could return to Little Dix towards the end of your trip to catch your flight out of Beef Island. Another option is simply to visit Caneel for the day, enjoy their restaurants, see a bit of St. John and return to little dix that evening.
Best of luck.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:36 AM
Linda

Hi again.Caneel on St John is similar in style to Little Dix. Nothing on St John is much different than Virgin Gorda,gorgeous beaches, hiking,etc so I would skip it.(You won't have as many cruise ship people on VG either.)Tortola, on the other hand, has some fun night life on Cane Garden Bay and , yes, Bomba's. The party is like a frat party really. Thing I liked about staying in the WestEnd is that we were close to the aforementioned bars, but it was really quiet with no traffic.Also, we were 5 minutes from the ferry to Jost Van Dyke which is a fun little place.You might want to consider taking a puddle jumper over to Anegada for a day trip.The ferries go back and forth between Tortola and VG, but not at night so if you want to do that you'd almost have to stay on Tortola for 2 nights.

Mar 30th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Don

I was a private yacht Capt. in the BVI'and I have seen all the resorts and hotels. I have been travelling to the West Indies for over 30 years and have visited over 30 Islands. The one place I always return to is Tortola.This is truly the West Indies, once you get away from all the Americanized resorts such as Long Bay. I was saddened to see this very "American" style resort built on such a beautiful property. You people should stay in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale! I would suggest "Sebastians on the Beach" in Capoon Bay, a short walk over the the hill to Long Bay and its beautiful beach.The food is excellent and the rooms are right on the beach. The Bomba Shack is 200 yds. down the road , also check out the Sugar Mill for lunch.Rent a jeep for the day and explore Cane Garden Bay and take the ridge road towrds Josiah's Bay for the best views in the Caribbean!

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:51 AM
penny

Mari, I have been to LDB and Virgin Gorda. Loved it all. We combined LDB with Caneel. We flew into Beef Island and returned from St. Thomas. I thought
St. John was fun and loved the funky little village of Cruz Bay. A few years ago we were going to repeat the trip but adding on Tortola for a few nights. Hurricane Lenny changed our plans so we did Long Bay for 4 nights and then went on to Caneel, Little Dix was closed. We are glad we went to Tortola, but yet it was disappointing compared to St. John and Virgin Gorda. We dined at the Sugar Mill, and Sebastians, and yes we had drinks at Bombas, but we were disappointed in the beaches. Some were very nice, but it was a very bumpy road to Smugglers, Cane Garden was nice, but I wanted more tranquility. Long Bay hotel cannot compare to LDB, it was nice and the price was a lot cheaper, and I did enjoy the low key dining by the beach. Long Bay is rocky, so you have to walk to the end for a nice sandy bottom. Having traveled to many caribean islands, and mopeding to many of my favorite beaches in Bermuda, I would recommend staying the 7 nights at Little Dix and use Virgin Gorda as your base. The inter island ferry system is excellent and LDB has lots of water activites and a day sail to Anegada. The time will go to fast!

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:56 AM
Jackie

I recently stayed at Long Bay and it is not a place I am likely to return to. But, if you are only planning on 2 days, want a resort and want to be near Quito's and Bomba's it is as good a place as any to stay. The rooms were clean, the balconies had great views and the beach was beautiful, but rocky.

The most unpleasant part of stay was dealing with the staff at front desk. So, minimize your interactions with them. One way to do this is by making your own arrangements with a taxi driver. Toward the end of our stay, we discovered Wilbur. We prearranged our trips with him and his timing was always perfect. Only wish we had met him up front. Didn't get his number, but you could find him at the restaurant, Palm Delight.

Mar 31st, 2002, 11:39 AM
linda

Palm's Delight restaurant, by the way, is one of the best waterfront restaurants we found. $10.00 for my meal!!!!But you must pay in cash. Really fresh fish, veggies authentic Caribbean style

Apr 12th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Mari

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Still a little confused since neither one of us has been there.
Has anyone stayed at Sugar Mill? Is it near restaurants and any beach bars?
You are all very helpful.

Apr 12th, 2002, 02:39 PM
penny

Have not stayed at Sugar Mill but I had a lovely dinner there! Their beach accross the street is small, and they have a causal beach front cafe for lunch and breakfast. You can walk to Sebastians and Bombas, we did one night after dinner and then took a short cab ride to Long Bay. Hope this helps.

Apr 17th, 2002, 05:45 PM
stacey

We stayed at Biras Creek (Virgin Gorda)for several days and then stayed at Sebastian's (Torola) for two nights. At first, it is a shock to go to a much less luxurious hotel but it made for a perfect trip. We had privacy, luxury, fine food, beautiful beach for the first part of the trip and then had a fun, lively, authentic caribean for second part. You have to go to Bombas when they have live music....Roxy's at Jost Van Dyke....we rented a motor boat and island hopped to the caves at Norman Island. The rooms are not great at Sebastians but the food was very good and I enjoyed walking around the area...it is on a small surfers beach with crystal clear waves.
It depends what mood you are in.
My husband and I are going to Little Dix next week and planning to stay there the whole time. We are taking our children -- No partying this trip.
Have a great time.

Apr 17th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Mari

Dear Stacey,
Please give a report on LDB when you get back. Have a wonderful trip and thank you for your reply.
We still haven't decided on the last part of our trip but I am taking all of your responses into consideration.

Apr 18th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Mari

to the top

Apr 29th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Art

Stacey - how was the week at Little Dix. Going in early June with wife and kids ages 6 and 8. Thanks.

Apr 29th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Mari

Looking for Stacy or anyone that's been to Little Dix Bay recently. Thanks.
I still haven't confirmed anything for the last two days. LDB or Sugar Mill on Tortola?
Have a great day everyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO