Tortolla, Virgin Gorda, Peter Island...Help!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Josh

Tortolla, Virgin Gorda, Peter Island...Help!

My wife and another couple are going to St. Johns in August. From there we are planning on staying an additional few nights somewhere in the BVI. Where should we go? We don't need a Cancun atmosphere, but a little nightlife would be nice. Also looking for great beaches and water. I have read about Tortolla (Long Bay, and Canes garden Bay), Peter Island, Jost Van Dyke, and Virgin Gorda. Which of these would be a good option. Suggestions on which island and where to stay would be great. Also don't want to break the bank. Thanks!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Sarah

If you don't want to break the bank, forget Peter Island. Also, nothing else is on the island except the resort.<BR>If you want more nightlife, go to Tortola but the beaches are better on Virgin Gorda. <BR>Maybe you should base out of Tortola and ferry to Jost and Virgin Gorda.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:17 AM
cdt

There's good nightlife at Cane Garden Bay, but the hotels there (and on Jost) are very modest.<BR><BR>For more upscale lodgings, you might consider Long Bay Resort on Tortola, which wouldn't be far from CGB.<BR><BR>I agree that Gorda has better beaches but very little nightlife.<BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:50 AM
linda

I agree with Tortola, ferry to VG and Jost. We stayed at Long Bay and LOVED it. You can rent a jeep at the hotel, and drive the easy road to Cane Garden. Nightlife here is some fun beach bars/restaurants with live music drifting across the peaceful bay with the sailboats bobbing at night...Over at Jost you have the funky Foxy's Bar and the Soggy Dollar where the party starts before noon! Don't worry about a night ferry- you can make arrangements for private transfer back at night. You go from the West End , which is very close to Long Bay. A 5 min taxi.BTW, the west end has the Jolly Roger, which was hopping even off-season!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:57 AM
linda

Forgot to mention....the rates are way low in August. Some places actually close then, so make sure you are aware of that when you plan your outings. I have a trip report from our honeymoon - and there are other splendid reports on traveltalkonline.com on the BVI board. http://www.traveltalkonline.com/wwwt...sts&Main=39406

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 09:07 AM
RichF

Sarah, I somewhat disagree about visiting Peter Island. Peter Island has without question, the prettiest beach in the BVI - Deadmans Bay! Although, the beach is located at the Peter Island Resort, it is worth checking out if you love beautiful beaches. You don't have to eat and drink at the expensive resort. Just bring over your own picnic lunch, from Tortola. Walk over the path to the ajoining beach to the right (Little Deadmans Bay) and there is no resort. The 5 mile island is almost dereserted, go explore it, the snorkeling is great.<BR><BR>It's simple to get to PI, just take a ferry from Roadtown for $10. Here is a tip, say your going to have lunch at the resort and it's free!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:36 AM
traveler

I don't think one can describe Long Bay as upscale especially when comparing it with Peter Island. No comparison. It is a the largest developed and commercial resort on Tortola and gets very mixed reviews. The beach is lovely to look at but not a swimming beach most of the time with a rocky shoreline and rough water a good percentage of the time. There are nicer low key resorts on Tortola if you really want to go there but upscale resorts it is lacking.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:36 PM
JD

For a little night life, then Cane Garden Bay and Road Town, both of which are on Tortola, would be my choices. My concern is that "night life" in the BVI is very low key... not a partying sort of place, but there are some good restaurants and a few bars with bands. And if you will be there on a full moon you can go to Bomba's Full Moon Party which is a drunken beach bash.<BR>I recommend you give Long Bay a wide berth as being very unexciting with blah food and service.<BR>I recommend Frenchman's Cay Resort for the splendid views (best of any resort) and very roomy 2 story villa you get. Also, the alfresco dining is excellent. The service is outstanding.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Anne

As someone mentions, the rates are "way low" in August, but I hope you're aware that hurricane season starts in July and runs through Fall. While the odds are in your favor, you ought to consider travel insurance. The standard policy is NO refund.