Notices

Best beach in Tortola

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best beach in Tortola

We will be docking in Tortola for one day next week with NCL Spirit. Was wondering which beach would be the best one to visit since our time is limited. Also, what would be the easiest way to get there...bus, taxi??? Thank you.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:12 AM

I'd actually take the ferry to Virgin Gorda and go to The Baths or (better) Spring Bay, which is similar to The Baths but not as busy. Or you could go to Jost Van Dyke for the day (again, by ferry).
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response Doug. I do have additional questions that I hope you can help. Is Jost Van Dyke actually in Tortola? Also, is access to the ferry very close to where the ship will dock?
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM

I agre that the Bath's would make a great day trip, but if you want to stay on Torola, I would recommend Brewer's Bay. The snorkeling here is absolutely spectacular, and amenities such as a bar, restrooms (in Nicole's Bar), and beach chair rentals are available. I believe there may even be excursions that bring groups from the cruise ship docks to Brewer's for the day. To find the best snorkeling, enter the water near Nicole's Bar and follow the shoreline straight out. You will find a marvelous underwater world which still remains mostly undisturbed.

That said, my favorite beach on Tortola is Smuggler's cove. Getting there requires traversing an unpaved and sometimes muddy road, and there are no facilities once you arrive, but of all the beaches in the British Virgin Islands, this one is definitely worth the trouble! If you like peace and quiet, good snorkeling and uncrowded beaches, this is the perfect choice for a day on Tortola!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM

Jost Van Dyke is a separate island between St. John and Tortola. Ships don't dock in Tortola. Rather, you will be tendered ashore (probably in Road Town), and that can delay disembarkation considerably. I believe the Virgin Gorda ferries leave from the same dock there in Road Town. You should confirm that if you think the connection will be tight. Some ferries to Jost Van Dyke leave from Soper's Hole on the West End of Tortola. Other ferries leave from Beef Island. Both are reached pretty easily by taxi from Road Town.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM

I think you’ll find that cruise ships do dock in Tortola (Road Town). If you want to make your own way to The Baths on Virgin Gorda, you’ll need to walk to the Road Town ferry dock which is an easy 10 mins walk from the cruise ship dock. The ferry to VG takes approx 30 mins and then you’ll need to take a 5-10 min taxi ride to the top of The Baths. You can pay for the taxi ride when you purchase the ferry tickets ($25+$5/pp round trip with Speedy’s). Ferries to Jost van Dyke leave from West End ferry dock, which is about 20 mins taxi ride from Road Town. The ferry journey from WE to JVD is approx 20-25mins. The North Sound Express ferry goes from Beef Island (20 mins taxi drive from Road Town) to Virgin Gorda but I don’t see any benefit of taking that route as you’ll be much closer to the Road Town ferry dock. Make sure you leave plenty of time to return to your cruise ship though as ferries may be delayed. I have complied a comprehensive BVI ferry schedule and FAQ on my website: bestofbvi.com, which may help you with timings.

You mentioned that your time is fairly limited so if you wanted to stay on Tortola, then I agree with the above suggestions of Brewers Bay and Smuggler’s Cove. Also, Josiah’s Bay is a lovely beach with a couple of beach bars and Long Bay (Beef Island) is usually fairly quiet but there are no amenities there. Hope you have a fantastic time wherever you go.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:15 PM

You should consider taking the ship excursion to Baths. Virgin Gorda is trully spectacular. The only reason I suggest taking the actual ship excursion, is as a group, if any problems arise the boat will be responsible. If you go on your own, miss the ferry, ferry breaks down.....while it's easy to go back and forth on ferries between the islands, if you've never been there, it may be worth the additional piece of mind.

Jost Van Dyke has a great beautiful beach too.

Another option, take a taxi to Peter Island ferry, take ferry over and eat lunch on Peter Island, which has another stunning beach.

I've been on multiple ferries and trips between the islands. Only 1 broke down once. I was stuck on the dock waiting (2 hours) for another from Tortola to pick us up (we we're on St. John) and got stranded with---John Travolta! So the only bad experience has a good story to tell!