Search

THE REAL JAMAICA

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2002, 03:25 PM
A JAMAICAN YOUTH

THE REAL JAMAICA

FIRST OF ALL I AM A JAMAICAN IN KINGSTON.YOU TOURISTS NEED TO COMPREHEND THAT THIS ISLAND IS NOT FOR WEAKLINGS.YOU NEED TO BE FIRM IN YOUR ANSWERS NOT BEING TOO SOFT OK.YOU ALSO NEED TO VISIT KINGSTON WHERE THE CAN BE MORE PLEASANT THAN THE NORTH COAST PEOPLE BUT PLEASE BE ASSURED THAT KINGSTON IS NOT FOR SOFT PE0PLE.ALSO PLEASE NOT THAT JAMAICA IS THIRD WORLD COUNTRY SO PLEASE THE BAD COMMENTS CONTINUE TO MAKE US STAY IN THE THIRD WORLD POSITION.HOWEVER PLEASE NOTE THAT THE THE AVERAGE JAMAICAN IS NOT POOR THERE HAPPENS TO BE A LARGE MIDDLE CLASS HERE.SO REMEMBER STAY FIRM,BE STRONG AND USE COMMON SENSE .I KNOW THAT JAMAICA CAN BE QUITE INTIMIDATING EVEN FOR THE AVERAGE JAMAICAN.ONE LOVE MI SISTA AND BROTHA.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:40 AM

Lizzie

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:42 PM
L101

Sounds like a reasonable message, and good advice. From my experience, I fell in love with Jamaica and her people. Out of may, one people. Back at cha!<BR><BR>L

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Micheal

Large middle class? Jamaican Youth, I also live in the Caribbean, on what would be considered one of the richer countries and I beg to differ. Jamaica has a non existent middle class, the disparity between the have's and the have not's is too glaringly obvious to everyone who lives there.In comparison with other Caribbean Islands, I am sorry to say that you have a very low standard of living for the average black Jamaican.<BR><BR><BR>That said, it is a beautiful country, plagued by drug related crime and still reknowed for it's beaches and natural beauty.And please...when you TYPE IN ALL CAPS THAT MEANS THAT YOU ARE SHOUTING!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:25 AM
xxxx

While driving around Jamaica with a guide my husband and I both noticed how many churches there were on the island--a lot! Seems strange so many churches and yet the crime problem.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Kim

We love Jamaica it is our favorite island. The people there are super!!!!!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:08 PM
anon

I've never been to Jamaica but i've always heard that, "Kingston knows who belongs and treats the others accordingly"

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:25 AM
tivertonhouse

Lots of churches and conservative social politics too in Texas where the murder rate/death row inmate rate is highest in the US -- interesting correlation,no?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:51 AM
Martin

No problem at all visiting Jamaica if you are sensible.<BR>Don't go to Kingston unless you have to. Parts are OK but there are no-go areas and plenty of crime.<BR>No problem in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios or Negril if you use common sense as you would on the streets of any major city in the world:<BR>Don't "flash the cash", carry expensive cameras, wear expensive jewellery etc.<BR>Don't go ANYWHERE with ANYBODY.<BR>Be prepared for the fact that the Jamaicans will come up to you and offer to sell you loads of different stuff. Just say "No thanks". They won't bother you.<BR>Jamaica is a very poor country and they are just trying to make a living. With the growth of AI resorts there is less of the tourist $ going to the people. It is going to the large corporations (some foreign-owned) which own the AI resorts.<BR>My wife and I have been quite happy to wander around Mo Bay and Ochi shopping on our own. We catch the local "route taxis" and travel with the friendly local people.<BR><BR>Just be sensible, relax, treat the locals with respect and you will be fine!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:03 AM
Anon.

A catch-22 situation: Jamaica has more and more AI resorts because many people are hesitant to go outside the resort due to crime. Jamaica has more crime than most other islands, basically because less money is going to the locals due to more and more AI resorts.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:14 AM
IAM

Pleanty of churches in the West side of Chicago. Most blocks have at least 1. The churches are usually located next to liquor stores. My point is, 'cause there are churhes does not mean less crime.<BR>If you are not familiar with the west side, one of the highest if not thee hight rate of murder in Chgicago.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:14 AM
IAM

Pleanty of churches in the West side of Chicago. Most blocks have at least 1. The churches are usually located next to liquor stores. My point is, 'cause there are churhes does not mean less crime.<BR>If you are not familiar with the west side, one of the highest if not thee hight rate of murder in Chicago.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:56 PM
Brenda

I love Jamaica and I had a wonderful time. I will be coming back soon.