Search

where in jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:33 AM
M

where in jamaica

Hi everyone,<BR>So much conflicting information, I've given up reading past posts and started my own! We're a couple in our mid-20's, no kids, looking for an all-inclusive with some great water activities, we like jet ski's, and tropical grounds. A spa would also be nice. There are so many places in Jamaica I don't even know where to start. What can people recommend other than sandals and the ritz? I think the ritz is too rich for us. We'd like to keep it under $3000 for 2 for about a week. Also, will the water be too cold in mid-december? Waves too rough for jet-skiing?<BR>thank you,<BR>M

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 01:49 PM
John

Swept Away is a fantastic resort with what you are looking for. Laid back, lots of class, great water sports including Scuba and the best fitness facility in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>Great food also and just happens to be on the best beach in Jamaica.<BR><BR>It has tropical grounds and a Spa.<BR><BR>See www.sweptaway.com or couples.com.<BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:03 PM
fiona

I would recommend asking yourselves why you picked jamaica. I know that I was a victim of their great marketing. I found it to be an unsafe, dirty poor island. I went there a few years ago and I honestly can't find one nice thing to say about it. I've travelled to many places including Mexico, Barbados, Hawaii, Italy, and England. I love to travel, but Jamaica is the one place that I've been to and would never return. If you want an all inclusive try the Maya Riviera. The Mexican people are friendly and were always very nice duing my travels.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:31 PM
John

I have to strongly disagree with the lady above and her assessment of Jamaica. Many people who have traveled throughout the Caribbean will tell you that Jamaica is their favorite island. <BR><BR>I have been a number of times and NEVER felt threatened.<BR><BR>Sounds like the person above for some reason had a bad experience and has nothing positive to say about Jamaica - too bad.<BR><BR>I think the vast majority on this board who have traveled to Jamaica would strongly disagree with this person.<BR><BR>FYI - any place in the world is unsafe if you venture into the wrong areas.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Kim

Jamaica is our favorite island and we have never felt threatened while we were there.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:16 AM
M

Thank you for your input and your caution. What is so funny is we just returned from Mexico and we didn't care for the people, nearly everyone we ran into lied to us about one thing or another, typically about pricing. We refuse to return there. We met another man who said he liked Jamaica much better. I guess it just shows, everyone comes away with a different experience. I appreciate your concern though, but we don't plan on much leaving the resort at Jamaica per the advice of many I've spoken to and we're honestly quite tired of running around to see every "must-see" on vacation. Thanks for the info, but can anyone recommend a resort? <BR>thank you,<BR>M

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:43 AM
xxx

We had a postive experience at the Riu in Negril last December. They do allow children, but even over Christmas week we did not find the amount of or behavior of the children to be problematic. There was not much nightlife on the resort to speak of. There is a disco, but very few people were in it. It was not a problem for us, but something that may be important to you. I've read very different reviews regarding peoples' experience at the Riu. I guess everyone has their own standards. We felt we had a good value for the money.<BR> We never felt unsafe anywhere. But, I would not hurry to return to Jamaica. In most cases, the attitudes we encountered ranged from indifferent to rude. We, and others we met, had the experiences in Jamaica that you had in Mexico. And as you said, funny thing, we've never had those problems in Mexico and much prefer it there. But to each their own. Good luck in your planning, and if you do decide on Jamaica, I suggest Negril.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 06:13 AM
tivertonhouse

Jet-skiis pretty much limits you to Negril, MoBay or Ocho Rios resorts, with Negril being the best choice for <BR>mid-20s. You can rent watersports gear and stay in a less touristic place like Tensing Pen, Rockhouse or The Caves or go for a bargain AI like RIU. It's all a matter of your personal style. Grand Lido and Sandals probably aren't the best places for you. Go to www.jamaicans.com<BR>and the forum section for Negril/Westmoreland/The South Coast<BR>for reviews and overviews.Water temps will be fine mid-Dec.