friendliest people in the carribean??

Jul 19th, 2002, 06:24 AM
notatroll

friendliest people in the carribean??

Because I enjoy spending time with locals, like to eat hang out at local places and like to get "off the beaten track" I wondering what island(s) people felt very welcome and thought people were very friendly. I've only beenn to a few islands and I know attitude can vary from town to town but I'm really interested in peoples opinions/experiences.
Thanks!

Jul 19th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Syndy

Of all the islands in the Caribbean Trinidad and Tobago is the friendliest. it's an Island does not depend on tourism so if you want to meet local people and get "off the beaten path" this is the island for you. The people are genuine, the smiles are real and the welcome is always warm. Read the reviews on Trinidad and Tobago and judge for yourself.

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Sue

Aruba!

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:12 AM
BeenThere

I like St. Martin/St. Maarten for friendly locals. It is an island where you can travel all around and hang out at the local places. Despite what has been said, it is relatively safe to do so.

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Nancy

Hi Nota,
You will get A LOT of different opinions on here with this question.
Mine: Tobago or Anguilla

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:35 AM
dtour

Harbor Isle Bahamas or Turks and Caicos

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Tee

St.Lucia ,great people,don't miss the island' street party every Friday night , locals and tourists can all blend in and party together ,all houses on the blocks have their doors opened to welcome anyone who likes to go up to their balconies and watch the party going on the street ,food ,drinks,dance...kinda like New Orleans during Mardi Gras,just a lot smaller.The island itself is beautiful,exotic,lush,lots of different things to see and do eventhought it's poor.

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:37 AM
notatroll

thanks ! great replies so far!! keep em coming! : )

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Madison

The most friendly people, by far, are the Anguillans.

They can't compare to any folk from any other Caribbean Island.

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Susan

Message: Cat Island, Bahamas and Anguilla. Some of the friendliest people I have ever met. Also, Anegada, northern-most of the BVI. Locals here love to talk and explain things about their island. Anegade is not a huge tourist destination, so those that come and stay for a while are really appreciated.

Jul 19th, 2002, 08:38 AM
beentomostoftheislands

This is a good post, I like that some people vow for one Island only. I have been to most of the Islands and you will find friendly people no matter which Island you go to. In terms of hanging out with locals, Trinidad, Tobago and Barbados.

These are places that I have been to that locals would not hesitate to take you on an Island tour for free,buy you a beer,take you to their house for a home cooked meal or invite you to a lime.

Jul 19th, 2002, 08:43 AM
anon

Trinidad and Tobago, take a look at these links and see for yourself;

http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.237115/144/?s=v

http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.203603/144/?s=k

Jul 19th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Scott

I thought the people in Grand Cayman were extremely friendly.

And thought the street celebration in St Lucia was dangerous, and wouldn't send my worst enemy there. We were lucky to be with a couple locals that night who help fend off several young men that seemed very interested in our wives no matter what you thought. The drug dealers were also more aggressive than the usual asking if we wanted to buy some ganja.

Jul 19th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Statia

Saba and St. Eustatius. Both are small with very friendly and welcoming people.

Jul 19th, 2002, 10:34 AM
aruba

ARUBA<<<<<SIMPLY THE BEST!

Jul 19th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Nancy

We have been to at least 15 Caribbean Islands and Anguilla wins hands down. However, we've never been to Trinidad and Tobago and have been reading very positive posts. So I think I'll have to research T & T.

Jul 19th, 2002, 03:44 PM
joan

interesting answers...
looking forward to more!

Jul 20th, 2002, 12:55 AM
tivertonhouse

The Treasure Beach/South Coast area of Jamaica

Jul 21st, 2002, 06:03 PM
xx

topping

Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:03 AM
denette

Of the eight islands we have been blessed to visit, the friendliest people were in Provo - Turks/Caicos.
There are several local places to eat and several beaches to explore off the beaten path that are absolutely gorgeous. Safe Travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO