The Caves / Question

Feb 18th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

The Caves / Question

I have heard glowing reports about the Caves in Negril, and from the website and reviews it looks to be the perfect spot for my husband and I to celebrate his law school graduation.
I have only one question...I am afraid of us getting bored in the evenings. Now we are totally cool with lazing around all day soaking up the sun and maybe venturing down to 7 mile beach for a day but what about the evenings? is there any nightlife at the property? Other people to sit and socialize with? And if not is there anywhere to go that in a safe walking distance?
Feb 18th, 2004, 03:46 PM

I'm not so sure about the "night life" at the resort. I think it more or less revolves around you and the person you're with. That being said, it looks like the most romantic place. I'm sure you can also venture out to other places-not sure if walking would work. When are you thinking of going?? My fiance and I just booked our honeymoon in December.
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

We are going July 31-Aug 7th. I may be mis-leading when I say nightlife. We are not into the club scene or the big party crowd, but a great bar and some interesting people to chat with would be just perfect.
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Now, I've not visited here so I very well may be wrong, but I believe your location at the Caves would put you in close proximity to the nighlife on Negril's beach and to the nightlife on the cliffs. In fact, you may be able to walk to various bars and venues on the cliffs end (Rick's comes to mind as a popular tourist spot). Otherwise, a short taxi ride should suffice. There may not be a lot of entertainment offered at the Caves beyond live music one or two nights, but there should be plenty within a few miles of where you're staying. I think you'd have a great time.

And since the owner of the Caves also owns a few other properties in Jamaica, you could also break up your trip between them. You might want to consider two nights at Strawberry Hill, high in the Blue Mountains, where there's a fantastic spa and gorgeous views and a wonderful restaurant.

Whatever you do, have a great time!
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Beachedbliss-My travel agent just visited the caves for a site inspection when she was in Negril (in December). She'd never visited the Caves and was totally amazed by what she saw. She loved all the rooms and commented on the really cool "entertaining room". I think they show pics of this room (a very open place with couches, etc). It looks like this may be the evening gathering spot for those who decide to hang out in the evenings.
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:03 PM
TG

You may wish to check out their website at www.islandoutpost.com
My family has stayed at a Chris Blackwell owned property 3 times, Compass Point in the Bahamas and we LOVED each stay!
They treat people right!
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

TG, I have checked out there website and all the properties look great, although I have read some REALLY BAD reviews lately about Jakes. Hard to believe it's part of the same group of what seems to be wonderful havens.
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:33 PM

There's light nightlife close to the Caves (sunset bands & cliff divers at Rick's, bonfires at 3 Dives, public bars at LTU, Rockhouse or Xtabi if your bar isn't lively) but most live music and such is down on the beach, a short cab ride.

We walk anywhere up and down the cliff road by day but at night would take a cab if walking far. Also there aren't sidewalks so be careful anytime of cars.
Feb 26th, 2004, 11:41 AM

here's my report, to answer your questions, as well as a general diary entry--I hope it's useful---we spent 5 nights there last spring and were never moved to leave the gates. There was enough socialization, if you wanted it, with the other guests. It's very casual, and if you choose to have dinner at the main dinner/bar area, perhaps on the deck, you may very likely be sitting near someone. It just depends on your mood. I booked this surprise trip with some trepidation, as my wife is a Caribbean vet, previously lived and worked in St. Maarten, but she had little to no experience with Jamaica. The info I was able to dig up on the Caves, however, convinced me this would work. We left our then-home in the darkened grey mid-March morning of sub-zero Detroit, just as the first shots of the Iraq war broke out--and never looked back. The pristine privacy of the place, the serenity of our room (Bird's Nest-while not my first choice based on my online research, is one we would return to again and again), and the laid back atmosphere were the perfect tonic for an absolutely brutal and debilitating winter. We were not, for the most part, interested in excessive socializing (although we are, at times, a hyper-social duo), and the mix of people and privacy at the Caves gave us the opportunity to pick our spots and mingle with the others at our own pace, while not feeling forced to do so. We both loved the fact that we signed waivers upon arrival....goes with the whole libertarian feeling of doing whatever you want, whenever you want...feel like jumping off a cliff--go ahead. The fact that the big jump is about two steps and a leap from the carved-out-of-rock breakfast/lunch table was perfect....finish a few sips of my watermelon-ginger juice, remove napkin from lap and gently dab lips, take last sip of coffee, two steps to the right, and adios....off a cliff. Despite our advanced degrees in Food Snobbery, we were amazed at the uniform excellence of every meal. More importantly---for lasting impressions--the staff were at all times gracious and thoughtful, without being intrusive. The lobster dinner in the cave was indescribably perfect--sounded a bit corny to my inner skeptic, but came together like an amazing and ethereal symphony of flickering candles, lobster, wine and waves. I wish the pictures we took could do it justice, but it really has to be experienced--which is my advice to the curious. From morning to night, we found alternating mixes of solace, comfort and companionship in and around the resort....jumping off all of the cliffs, especially the blue hole and and the big jump (I think they call it Hopper's Leap, after Dennis Hopper), snorkeling and other diversions, board games to lull away the late afternoon non-sunning hours with some cold Red Stripes in the luncheon gazebo. Even that was memorable, as my wife played with some fellow travelers while I, as a former Detroit club DJ, played around in the music booth [and created my own game, called "put the CD's back into their actual original cases"--very challenging]. We only left the gates once, for some necessities, and felt no need to ever leave again. That was the other amazing thing--we spent pretty much 5 solid days in this intimate and relatively small resort and never felt bored....[or sick of each other!]...just bliss....and losing ourselves in the moment. What was going on in the outside world? A war? The Academy awards? Wouldn't know it here. We simply staked out our favorite sunbathing cliff and reading spots and let it all go--all the while forgetting, just momentarily, what we left behind. We're going back this Spring.
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Nigel - you are an exquisite writer. You should write books!! (yes this is a serious post). I was enthralled with reading your repsonse.

Good luck.
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:41 PM
TG

Awesome report! As a Compass Point fan I am intrigued by your report and hope to visit this Chris Blackwell owned property.
Feb 26th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

(Trying to post this again..Did not show up when I posted it before, sorry if it's a duplicate posting)

Nigel,
That was exactly what I wanted and needed to hear!! I'm sold and will probably book soon for our trip at the end of July.
My husband and I are foodies too so good eats are important and I like the idea that it's all included and not the "factory" style of the majority of AI's.
One more question if you don't mind. did the lack of A/C in the rooms have any affect on your level of comfort?

Thanks,
BB

Feb 27th, 2004, 04:34 AM

to answer your question, I actually think the lack of a/c improved the level of comfort. While I am generally what one would characterize as a "hot" person, and my wife is the opposite, I adjusted rather quickly to the warm mid-march Negril climate. The ceiling fans were enough, and the rooms are all so well-ventilated that it is not a big deal. It also adds to the tropical-yet-still-luxing-it-up kind of vibe. At the Caves, everything has such an organic feel, you want to be part of the surroundings, not shut it out in air-tight sealed a/c enhanced chambers. If I felt like I was overheating, I liked to just sit or stretch out on the ledge of that huge window in Bird's Nest (I think they picture it), with a cold red stripe from the fridge and gaze out over the water....most anyone with a patio or porch can do the same.
Feb 27th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Nigel, The reason I asked....Hubby and I had a bad experience in Tahiti when we stayed in a beach bungalo with no A/C. It was SO HOT and HUMID the whole week that I couldn't even blow dry my hair, it was hard to sleep, and we were soaking wet 24/7. I am just so worried of a repeat.

Thanks,
BB
Feb 27th, 2004, 08:34 AM

I think in Jamaica it's only hard not to have AC if:

-it's summer. July-August are just hot and humid there.

-you don't have good ventilation/windows/big doors. If the place is set up to catch a breeze, as most without AC are, you're good.

-you are in a concrete building that is not in shade, down by the beach. The cliffs are always pretty breezy and hotels with gardens that are mature enough to provide shade are cool.
Feb 27th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Liza makes a good point...the cliffs at the Caves are breezy and the gardens/foliage also give shade. The only one I would be concerned about would be Butterfly (I think it's sea turtle underneath) which, while close to the water, is also very exposed to the sun. Also I'm not sure how shaded One Drop is. Being on the cliffs, however, there's usually a nice breeze to keep things moving.
Feb 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM

I second luckyladyh. Excellent job, Nigel, descibing this incredible resort. I really hesitate commenting on the Caves because I don't want this resort to change. But, I can't resist. We were there for our first time in January. We also have been to two other Island Outpost resorts. Compass Point and Pink Sands(both we loved). The Caves blew us away. We also could not break away from this resort. The food was absolutely fantastic. I was skeptical about booking this resort as my husband likes a lot of activity. He is a golfer and really likes more of a party scene. He thought this place was incredible and we can't wait to go back. We did socialize with a few of the guests and it was a perfect.