Search

The Caves Concerns

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Caves Concerns

We have reserved a place at the caves over thanksgiving but are having second thoughts. A series of reviews recently mentioned the following: level of service has dropped off considerably - once they prepared flower and candles in your room, provided room service, but no longer. That the rooms in comparison to Tensing Pen for example are not as pleasant, that patios are virtually non existent and that lounge chairs are not provided for each cottage. Last but not least the 'water clarity' (this is the artiles phrase not my own) is not nearly as 'crystal clear blue' as at for instance the Rockhouse.
I investigated Tensing Pen which really does look lovely - the rooms seem a bit more tempered - and frankly, for half the price of the caves, is starting to tempt me. Does anyone have any time to soothe - or confirm - these fears?

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 06:16 AM

If you don't get the info you need here, post your question on www.negril.com I am sure you will get some good comparisons there.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 06:49 AM

I haven't stayed at the Caves or Tensing Pen so I can't help directly.

But if hte things you meation are no longer happening, an e-mail to the Caves should confirm or refute that.

Water clarity on the west end depends on currents and such...it can change daily. It's almost always clear, unless the sea is rough so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Rockhouse and Xtabi both have lovely sheltered coves though so may be affected by those factors less than TP and the Caves, both a mile or two further southwest on the cliffs.

If I'm not mistaken, TP and the Caves are almost next door to each other....

(Personally I'd do TP 'cause for the price we could stay twice as long...)
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 09:24 AM

Wondering where you saw the negative reviews, I've seen nothing but praise for The Caves. We're planning on going in early December.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 09:43 AM

DiGiuseppe -

I have stayed at the Caves (Nov. 2001) and Tensing Pen (Nov. 2002).

I loved both places. Regarding your specific issues at the Caves: service was great when we went in 01. we never even thought about room service, so can't answer that. The room was quite pleasant and lounge chairs were never a problem. Some of the larger cottages have dedicated palapas for guests of that cottage, but if there are no guests then you are free to use that area. There are no private patios for the ground floor rooms - second floor roooms had a small balcony. However, with the number of guests and the size of the place, finding a quiet corner is never an issue. We ususally parked it right in front of our cottage and rarely saw a soul unless we ventured on to the more public areas (pool and bar).

Tensing Pen was amazing - and yes, there is quite a cost difference. But remember when comparing costs, you are really not comparing apples to apples - The Caves is all-inclusive, has great food, full bar (2 actually, one open during the day and the other for night). Tensing pen has no bar and it is not all inclusive (except for breakfast). So depending on the kind of traveler you are, that may be a big deal. To us it was not - we love the food in Negril and even when we stayed at the caves we still ventured out for 3 dives jerk chicken (YUM).

The cottages at Tensing Pen really are great - each one unique. Another nice thing is that a good number of them are stand alone cottages, unlike the rooms at the Caves which are usually an upstairs room and a downstairs room sharing one building. (Unless you spring for one of the larger cottages - which are stand alone). The grounds at both places were beautiful, but Tensing pen wins out on that one in my book - it was almost magical - so cool and lush and green, with a great cove to swim in, etc.

I could go on and on - why don't you email me if you have specific questions about the two places - I love to chat negril!

Remember, you cannot go wrong at either place - you will have an amazing trip no matter which one you chose.

By the way, Hubby and I just made plans for our next trip to Negril and where are we staying? Tensing Pen.

Happy travels
Amy

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:49 PM

My husband and I just returned from The Caves last week. We spent 5 days in heaven. Absolutly nothing we have experienced in our years of travel compares. Service was wonderful. We were very pampered but no one ever hovered. Our rooms had fresh flowers and candles. We had dinner in the cave one night with 50+ candles decorating the cave. We used the jacuzzi tub at sunset and it was set up for us with candles and music.

We were one of only four couples there at that time so it never felt crowded, but we thought that at full capicity there would be more than enough areas to hang out. We never requested room service, although the staff was very willing to serve us breakfast and lunch at our lounge chairs. We stayed in an upstairs unit (the butterfly) and there was another couple downstairs. We lounged in our room's sitting area with large doors and windows opened to the sea. We never heard any noise from the couple downstairs, nor did we feel uncomfortable with all the windows opened at night.

We swam, did some diving from the cliffs and kayaking - all in perfectly clear and beautiful water. We did kayak farther down the cliffs and passed by Tensing Pen. Robert (or Richard?) - the owner - came out and invited us up. The resort was closed that week for renovations so it was especially nice of him to invite us in amist all the work. The resort seems very nice - a bit less polished than The Caves. The rooms were beautiful in more of a British Colonial style of decorating (as opposed to The Caves which is more country/colorful).

I liked being taken care of yet not having to wear shoes to dinner. I liked the privacy and lushness of The Caves. We liked being able to sample a little of whatever local fare the chef was cooking that night. We tried many many more types of food than we would have ever had if we went to a restaurant each meal and had to order ourselves. The food was fabulous. Not having to think about where to eat, let alone what to eat, and how much money to carry is a nice treat for us.

I think you will find The Caves to be a perfect place to spend Thanksgiving. LOL.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Cheers to all of you! What wonderful insight! I am sure that our trip will be lovely - and I truly feel so much better now that I have read your replies.
I will most certainly be checking out Tensing Pen for our next trip. As for the poor press the caves received - it came via several acquaintances at a dinner party who had been in the last few years. Perhaps I should have thought twice about taking their advice to heart - they also found the food in Jamaica 'disturbingly spicy'.!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 07:06 AM

"Perhaps I should have thought twice about taking their advice to heart - they also found the food in Jamaica 'disturbingly spicy'."!

LOL...DiGiuseppe, you are right, you shold have known better. Thanks for the chuckle.

Please do be sure to venture out at least once to grab some of the jerk chicken at 3 Dives - you won't be sorry - to some (like me) it's worth the cost of the whole trip just to taste some of Lloydie & Paula's chicken w/granny sauce. Out of this world.

Enjoy your trip! Happy travels,
Amy
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 10:42 AM

I'll second that 3 Dives recommendation....that place is like my backyard in Negril, it's so comfortable and friendly and laid back. Many people say that so it can't only be that the owners like me....it will be a nice change from the Caves, it's a very basic place and a taste of real Jamaica.

They have a web site: www.maherconsulting.com/3dives
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 03:14 PM

I wish I had known about 3 Dives. And even though Jerk Chicken is not my favorite I would have liked to try the real thing. I did enjoy trying different vendor's meat patties - yum - they brought back memories of growing up in Queens, NYC.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 03:34 PM

I've been looking for web sites for the Caves, since reading this post, and I can't seem to find any info. If someone could direct me, I would appreciate it!
Thanks, Sandy
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 11:12 PM

Find The Caves on Chris Blackwell's
www.islandoutpost.com
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:14 AM

McSmith, 3 Dives is also known for it's grilled lobster (and they also have fish).

I grew up in NYC and also had meat patties there...the Dominican kind but about the same I agree!
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Once again, thank you all for the wonderful, detailed advice.
I hate to harass you any further - but would you be able to tell me something about the rooms you stayed in?
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Hello again -

We stayed in Sea Turtle, a one bedroom room that was the downstairs unit of a 2 unit villa. Lucky for us no one was in residence upstairs during our stay.

I loved the room for several reasons - It's location on the property was the farthest unit from the main public areas, so it made it quite private. It is very close to the cliff edge, during the day we'd lay out right out in front of our room, and in the evening it was lovely to sit out near the wall, watch the stars and listen to the ocean with music softly playing on the CD player in our room.

The room was very nice size, with a king size bed, `setee at the foot of the bed and a table and chairs right in front of very large open window with louvered shutters (that we NEVER closed). It was really amazing to fall asleep with the window wide open to the ocean, especailly on moonlight nights. It was also as great of a pleasure to wake to the blue ocean direcly in front of you every morning.

The bathroom was also very nice size, with a HUGE tub - easily fits two, with room for more if that's your thing -with a rainshower set in to the high ceiling - that also was a treat. They supply Aveda hair products and soap, candles, so everythng smells yummy. They also supply you with two batik robes - great to lounge in early evening with a cold red stripe from your minifridge.

There was also coffee and tea in the room, with a few different kinds of beer and soda and water in the fridge - restocked each day.

We never had a problem with bugs - even though there is no a/c and no screens. And we had the windows open whenever we were in the room, even while sleeping. I think that the residents of the cave directly below our room helped a great deal with the mossies - I have never had such a bite-free vacation in the islands!

happy travels,
Amy
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Hello Amy! Thank for once again answering my seemingly endless questions!
How lovely the sea turtle sounds, and what a comfort to hear that although it was a ground floor unit there really was a atmosphere of privacy. It seems we booked the last available unit during the thanksgiving holiday - and as a result I was interested in hearing a bit about people's room experiences. I have read that the sea turtle has an unusually plush bathroom as well as its own stocked fridge - sounds simply magnificant! It is a deluxe suite is it not?
Did you make many visits off of the hotel property, Amy? I wondered weather you had felt the need to visit the beach.
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 02:59 PM

We did venture off property - and as strong a force as inertia is, I recommend you do the same. Greerann (who manages with her husband Bertram) suggested Idle Awhile as a good location to park it for lounging/sunning time on the beach and can make arrangements for you. However, our beach time was mainly strolling from one end to another, stopping for cold beers from time to time. Visiting vendors and eyeballing the beach properties. I do suggest that you at least spend a little time strolling around on the beach.

And of course there is the mandatory trip to 3 Dives. Make sure you bring back some granny sauce and a bottle of the rub. I guarantee that you will be addicted after your very first bite. And as Liz suggested above, a second night's trip would reward you with the fabulous grilled lobster - three whole grilled lobsters, rice, beans, calaloo for what, $20 US I think?

Also fun, just outside the Caves property is one of the greatest little shacks - Sexy Rexy's. Stop by for a stripe or two there - what a hoot.

In other words, while it is completely undestandable to succumb to the overwhelming desire to simpy do nothing and stay on the property, I feel that you would definitely miss out on some real, unique Negril experiences. While our time at the Caves was really incredible, the true highlights of that trip were our adventures out as mentioned above. (Well, that and hanging out with the few "rich and famous" that were guests at the Caves at the same time as we were )