Cliff Resorts Negril, Jamaica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some may recall I am in the process of planning a trip for myself (Mom) and 17&18 year old daughters.

First consideration was RockHouse however due to an overwhelming response that this is a more younger honeymoon place, I am considering several others. Although this sounds like a fabulous place, I do not want the girls to feel completely out of place.

Truthfully, first trip to Negril and I simply do not know what to choose. I want small, peaceful, beautiful, tropical, location. Not at all opposed to honeymoons, love mine each year! And even though I have 2 teenagers traveling, I really would prefer to stay away from anywhere that will have loads of children. Lordy did I just offend someone! Sincerely No intent.

I have read many postings on Trip Advisor as well as spoken with Negril OneStop. This forum recommended Tensing Pen, however is this too a honeymoon only type place? I have sent an email to TP, however I am anxious!

OneStop recommended I look at Negril Escape Resort and Spa, as well as Catch A Falling Star. I have not found reviews here on this forum for either of these locations. Opinions anyone?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:14 PM

I will probably stay at Catcha in March, don't know if that will help you in time...
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Liza! Yes I would love to hear your thoughts, if indeed you do stay at Catcha.

Our trip will be late May to early June!

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Hi, again, dfarmer.....I am on this board a lot this month because we are leaving for St. John in a couple weeks, but Jamaica is the island I have visited most often. I was the one who suggested Tensing Pen a couple weeks ago. You would love it there. It is very quiet, lots of people reading, lying in the sun, etc, but not a honeymoon spot in the same sense as Rockhouse. I went there with my husband and another couple and we were probably the craziest group as we like to party and run around on our trips. There were other groups when we visited, but no small children. Not a good place for a small child with the cliffs and bridges. Since Ivan, they have put in a bar and they have a breakfast laid out every morning in the communal open air kitchen which was great for us. Lots of fruit, breads, juices, coffee, cereal etc. They also cook dinners several nights a week that are quite reasonable and delicious if you want to stay in. I really think the property itself is more beautiful than Rockhouse although there is no pool yet. It is rustic and natural but upscale and cool at the same time. The Long House is where I want to stay at Christmas, but I can't justify $300.00 a night per couple (although I am seriously trying to convince myself that I deserve to stay there anyway!!) I guess it has a sound system which is what I thought was lacking there last trip (music) but most of the people don't want to hear anything but the birds and the waves crashing into the cliffs. You are close enough to walk to other cliff resorts for dinner, etc. although you have to be careful walking on the cliff road because people drive like maniacs since they repaved the road a couple of years ago. I haven't heard about Negril Escape resort. Catch a falling star is is great place, but not on the same level as TP. If you can afford it for a few nights, it would be my pick, no question. I would say the property is similar in atmosphere to Vista Del Valle, but in a more confined space,no monkeys and with waves crashing into the cliffs.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:45 AM

While I certainly applaud you for keeping the wishes of your fellow guests in mind, especially at a place that has a high romance factor, I completely agree with the person on another post who suggested that your daughters are old enough to behave maturely in such a setting.

Yes, the Rock House is a honeymoon setting, but it's also hip and stylish and appealing to a younger crowd. Your daughters are old enough not to want to behave inappropriately in such a hip setting. Plus, RockHouse has the pool right there for lounging around by day and evening and the bar right there for them to pick up sodas or whatnot.

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi Lori - thanks for all the details. When I read your comment about TP's atmosphere being similiar to Vista del Valle, well that sounds fabulous, loved VdV! I know what you mean about the Long House it looks spectacular! I was not sure about the price of Bosque del Cabo last year, but can't wait to get back!

EJ thanks for the kind remarks. This is a tough choice.

I have debated the pool issue and have come to think that we may choose to do a daytrip, I know we will snorkel, so maybe the pool is not a big deal. However I know it is going to be hot by the end of May.

Oh so many tough decisions!

I am writing this as the largest snowflakes I have ever seen are falling from the sky. Probably 4 inches on the ground and no end in sight. BTW here in TN we don't get much snow - maybe an inch a year!

Negril Escape Resort - I just learned has recently changed names from the Mariners. The cottages are brightly painted, from what was once all white buildings. Looks cute on the OneStop site.

About the dining situation at TP! I realize many have stated that there are dining choices nearby. I do remember reading something about a $19 grilled cheese sandwich! Definately do not want one of those. Also read much about being cautious on the road - so what about cabs to or from other restaurants - are cabs readily available in the cliff areas, especially for a return after dinner?

Thank you all
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM

I have never had a problem getting a cab at anytime when dining on the cliffs. The restaurant will call one for you if there are none around. We have actually walked on the road many times but I would not recommend it if a cab is available, especially at night....daytime is OK. It's just that the road is very winding and narrow.

I stay on the cliffs almost every year and have not encountered the $19.00 grilled cheese. I have had breakfast/lunch at Jus Natural (very good--vegetarian, I think) and Xtabi and the prices were similar to what you would see at home. The most expensive option for a nice dinner is Rockhouse and I didn't find their prices to be any higher than a good restaurant anywhere. LTU has good food, as does Pirates Cove and 3 Dives. Rick's is overpriced for the food they serve, but it is really a place to check out at sunset or watch the cliff divers and have a drink. They are all relatively close.

The new and improved Mariner's does look pretty nice on negrilonestop, but it was someplace that I avoided in the past. I always ran into some real "characters" there....maybe it has changed hands and the atmosphere has improved. I would stick with your earlier selections. And I would agree w/ egcrowe....don't let the "couples" thing dissuade you from considering Rockhouse....there are honeymooners all over Negril and I think the setting of the cliffs is just naturally romantic. However, I have been there before with my husband and friends and I can assure you that we were not sitting around gazing into each other's eyes. They would be fine!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Lori, thanks again for your details.

I must say I got quite the laugh - "we were not sitting around gazing into each other's eyes". As you guessed these were the images that were building within my mind.

And - I gave my girls all the info and advice, good and bad - then had them choose their #1 favorite location both beach and cliffs, this was quite a lengthy process. I was very impressed at the questions they asked and reasons behind their decisions - They just may turn out to be travelers!! So after much discussion - RockHouse was still #1. They love the look, the setting, the pool and the outdoor shower and are willing to stay anywhere beachside as long as they get to spend part of the trip at RockHouse.

So with some luck there will be room available.

So thanks again for everyone's comments.