Search

Taste of Cayman

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taste of Cayman

We are going to the Caymans (Hyatt) for a family vacation July 4th weekend--is the Taste of Cayman worth it? Any suggestions for cheap restaurants etc near the Hyatt?
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:49 AM

Eats is inexpensive and they are open for all three meals. May I suggest that one night you go tO Lantana's though? It's close by and they do a great Jerk Chicken Quesadilla with Jack Cheese. I would recommend you make reservations after you get there. Sorry I can't share anything about the Taste of Cayman as we were there in the winter.
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:41 AM

You may want to try Chicken Chicken, which is very similar to Boston market in the states. Most people seem to like it. The Naked Fish south of Georgetown is very good & reasonable.
Unfortunately, Lantana's closed a year or two ago...they were excellent, but pricey. Eats Cafe is cheap, food decent/average. Across from Westin is a place called Ribs & Pizza...the babybacks are awesome.
For special nights out, Smugglers Cove, The Reef Grill, Calypso Grill are all amazing choices...but again pricey.
Just be prepapred for high priced restaurants in GC. The better places will average &100-125 for 2 people for dinner. If you plan for this, then it won't such a shock.
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:16 PM

Just got back and I would also recommend Eat. It was good food at a good price. You say near the Hyatt, so I am going to suppose you are not going to have a car...

Not too far of a walk if you'd like to walk to Fidel Murphy's. A pub just below the Treasure Island Resort. Good food, plenty of it at good prices. If your room has a fridge you can also get nice things at the Fosters grocery [take a bus] and put them in your fridge. Soda's, good deli, fresh fruit and salad bar.

If you have transportation, the British Bakery near Georgetown has lovely pastry, scones and baps. They'll wrap them to go [they close at 4:00 though] and you can have them the next a.m.

Have fun, we're already planning our next trip, but twill be on the North Side, where the living is slow and easy.

Old May 9th, 2003, 10:06 AM

The Lone Star Bar and Grill came highly recommended to us. It is right at the entrance to the Hyatt.
Chicken! Chicken! also seems to be another favorite, but not sure how far from Hyatt
There is a funny thing about finding cheap places in Cayman, they dont really exsist. Its depends on where you are from if you consider everything alot expensive or alittle expensive.
Lunches are usually about $10-$12 a person for Hamburgers within the hotel pool areas.But the food is very good.
Fruity drinks are about $10 a piece and soda is about $5.00.
We where on vacation and where fully expecting to pay and pay big, but in my opinion it was worth it.

my tip for everyone with children is to bring your own snorkel gear and an inflatable---uninflated raft. The red sail sport shops rent them for I think $12 per day but its fun to just float out in the ocean all day.

Your going to have the best time!
JK
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:13 PM

We were on Grand Cayman in April and had a wonderful trip. We also ate at Eats and recommend it for a reasonably priced and delicious meal. Coconut Joe's near the Marriot was also not too pricey and had the Caribbean charm that Eats lacked. For a pricey but very worthwhile meal, I would recommend The Cracked Conch in West Bay next to the Turtle Farm.
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:35 PM

I live in the Cayman Islands, and have attended a number of "Taste of Cayman"s. For locals on an island of this size, it's a great fun weekend. Lots of family and friends attend, there's some entertainment and a number of restaurants put together booths with lots of food. I'd equate it to a fair in a small town. It's good value for money, but don't expect something big and spectacular - it's islandy, which is a good thing. If you wanted big, you'd probably be visiting the city.

As far as cheap restaurants go, the Lone Star is right next to the Hyatt, offering TexMex food in a casual atmosphere. There are several other restaurants within five minutes walk - PDs and Cafe Med in Galleria plaza are casual and semi-casual respectively. Both offer good food at decent prices. Eats has got a good breakfast, but it's not really walking distance from the Hyatt, especially in July temperatures!

Hope this helps!