Search

T/C weather in january

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T/C weather in january

I have never traveled to the caribbean in january before. Will the ocean water be too cold to actually enjoy? I would hate to get to Grace beach and not be able to stay in the water!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:12 AM

The daytime air temps in the T&C can be "iffy" in January but average between 76 and 80 degrees F. Water temp will be in the mid-to-high 70's F. vs low-to-mid 80's f. in summer.

You can check on historical temperature and weather information for the T&C and all Caribbean Islands at
www.weatherbase.com
or http://www.debbiescaribbeanresortrev...mperature.html
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM
cdt

Personally I would not choose Provo for a January vacation, but I know some people would disagree with me.

Keep in mind that the Turks & Caicos, like the Bahamas, are technically not in the Caribbean, but in the Atlantic. We stayed on Grace Bay in early December, which should be warmer than January, and the water was just barely warm enough for our tastes.

For a couple of points of reference, I consider the water on ALL sides of Cape Cod too cool, at any time of the year, and I don't like to swim in the Fort Lauderdale area until about April 1.

After seeing the previous post I looked at "debbies" temperatures and saw some inconsistencies that make me doubt their accuracy. I have had similar problems with other lists of Carib temps.

I've been watching winter water temps. at www.wunderground.com for the past few years, and when we discovered that our next trip had to be in January, we decided to consider either the southern Caribbean (St. Lucia and points south) or Jamaica, which seems to be slightly warmer in Jan. than other islands at similar latitudes.

Yes, I'm somewhat obsessed with the temperature thing.

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:23 PM

It's not stopping me from going! The water has been colder in Ocean City in the middle of summer! And the water in Mediteranian is always chilly, so it makes Grace Bay in Jan seem just right!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM

blamona,
How's the temp in T&C for spring break--mid March?
And which do you prefer for a relaxing, beach trip--Sands or RWI?
I appreciate your perspective.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:48 PM

mcward

I just got back from RWI and liked it very much 11/29-12/04. It's small and very quiet.
I don't know anything about the Sands I was only there at night for a drink.
According to one of the workers at RWI the weather starts to get hot again in March.
The Sands does have specials with meals but you can also get special rates on the web much lower. I emailed the Sands about the lower rates and they said blocks of rooms are booked by companies and they can't match the rates.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:01 AM

MCWARD: anything in Turks and Caicos is relaxing! I have stayed at both, and both are fairly equal.
My differences: RWI is alittle quieter, less children. They have no screens on their balconies. (I like that, but make sure you take bug spray for evenings.) Sands is on my favorite strech of beach, and has one of my favorite restaurants, Hemmingways. RWI has no construction going on, Grandview on 1 side, Club Med on other. (It's not bothersome)
Sands has no construction right now, but they have an empty lot next to it on 1 side, and Mandalay will start soon on the other. (Once again, not bothersome, you'll see it from the road, not notice on the beach)
I think the weather in general there is always delightful!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:11 AM

mcward, I was on Turks and Caicos last March for spring break, we had picture perfect weather everyday. Mid 80's, no rain, the ocean was warm enough for me to go in, and just a cloud or two. I went back in April, and the weather was not as good, as we hit a week that had some rain. So it seemed chillier. Overall, I think I would go from March forward, and skip Jan. and Feb.