Grand Cayman cell phone service

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will we be able to get NEXTEL/Sprint cell phone service on GC?
Normally we ban phone use while away, however, we have a illness in the family which we may need to be contacted.
i_b.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:06 AM

Been to Cayman several times but no luck with our cell phones there. I have a quad mode that I've used in Europe but my Cingular does not work there and my wife's Sprint is a ditto. Calling to the U.S. is even a hassle--you either buy a pricey calling card (because the 800 access numbers to your U.S. cards often don't work) OR you make calls from the island's phone company Cayman Wireless & Cable that are equally pricey compared to calling from most everywhere else in the world.

My advice--ask your family to call you at your condo or hotel for a minute or two each day just to let you know your family member's condition. I've been in your shoes and it's not fun trying to enjoy a trip when you are worried about a loved one. Best wishes.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Cingular works fine now, since they took over AT&T Wireless that is (AT&T have an operation here).

Sprint and Nextel are CDMA (I think) and that does not work... but any GSM/GPRS phone should have roaming.

Another option is to use WiFi or other internet access to "call" home.

At our resort we have a flat rate of US$1.50 per minute for all international calls.... and we try hard to deter people from using calling cards or 1800 CALLUSA type numbers, as the rates on those calls are quite ludicrous.