phoning US from GCayman

Jan 31st, 2003, 10:28 PM
nn
Original Poster

phoning US from GCayman

We are heading to Grand Cayman next month. What is the best/cheapest way to call home (US) to talk to the kids? I will probably need to do this twice...

Also, any tips on trying to email them as a substitute? Is it any easier/cheaper?

At this point I don't think I will have a cell phone or laptop along! This is a getaway trip after all!
Feb 1st, 2003, 01:09 PM

Cable and Wireless has a lock on the rental condo phones and I think on the hotels also. Used to be, you could call your 800 access number and make calling card calls. These access numbers are disabled, and they charge exhorbitant rates for credit card calls over their network.

The good news is that Grand Cayman is on the US-type cellular network, not the European/Asian-type (sorry I don't know the technical names). Check with your carrier. I can use my ATT phone/plan for $1.65/minute-expensive but much cheaper than C&W.
Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:13 PM

We were charged about twelve bucks using C and W, and that was just for attempting to make a call! Even when the other party didn't answer, we were charged!

If we DID get through, it cost between 20-30 bucks for a short call.

Good suggestion about the wireless phone. I wish we would have known!!
Feb 5th, 2003, 05:10 AM

Just FWIW - I called Verizon wireless after reading this and was told that they do not serve the Caymans and that I would need to rent an international cell phone.

Now i have to decide if that is worthwhile.

Donna
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:22 AM

I called home from Caymans using the AT&T phone card I got at Sams. But that was from the condo and previous poster said you can't do that any more? Maybe you could try it from a pay phone?
Feb 6th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Try calling your long distance carrier and asking what it would cost for your kids to call YOU. Then set up a couple of pre-arranged dates and times. That might be much cheaper.
Feb 15th, 2003, 01:58 PM

When I was there you could check your email at PD's (Pirate's Den--restaurant in 7MB, near the Westin if I remember correctly) if you have a browser-based email like hotmail or yahoo. There was also a little internet cafe a few doors down from PD's in the same shopping center that had computers with telnet-type access if you need that. My husband had to check his work email daily (but at least he didn't bring the laptop!)
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:38 AM

I was able to use my ATT cell phone to call home. I do not know the charge yet, but I am sure it was mch cheaper than the local telephone company would have been.
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:26 PM

Some of this is coered in the FAQ at http://www.gotocayman.com