Search

Staying at Atlantis

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying at Atlantis

Hi, my husband, 22 month old and I are staying at the Atlantis for 4 nights in a couple weeks. I have researched ln the Bahamas tourism and the Atlantis site and read various opinions on TripAdvisor but feel I need some more advice.

1) The forecast is around 75 degrees in Nassau in late Feb. Is this really warm enough to swim in the ocean and the pools at the Atlantis?

2) I didn't purchase any meals plans and don't intend to eat inside the hotel. I'm looking for authentic Bahamian food and local delicasies. All I read is how expensive the food is around the island. Is there anything that is not a burger joint where I can get some local food? My toddler doesn't like burgers, he's use to eating rice and pastas.

3) I'm debating bringing a stroller as I heard it is tiring walking through the Atlantis but the stroller rental is $20 a day. At 4 days, I can buy a real nice stroller already. Is there a Babies R Us or Target or some kind of store that would sell strollers in Nassau? I'd rather buy a cheap umbrella stroller for $25-30 and leave it there than spend $80-100 at the Atlantis.

Any tips is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some restaurants within walking distance of the Atlantis. Anthony's Caribbean Grille is right across the street and down the street at the Hurricane Hole Shopping Center.
Also try the Poop Deck and Conch Fritters for some good local food.
I would bring an umbrella stroller from home if you can.
When we were in Freeport in Feb. it was too cool to go in the ocean, but we still sat out and enjoyed the sun. Forecasts are just an estimate, so you never know.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 05:43 AM

If you took a thin wetsuit (or rented one), you could go in the water, but it is cold when you come out. Second the "Poop Deck" restaurant. You could use the umbrella stroller and walk across the PI Bridge, turn left on East Bay Street and the Poop Deck will be on the left, atop Bahama Divers, about an eighth mile from the bridge. You could also walk underneath the PI Bridge to see Potter's Cay...an experience in and of itself. Robert59
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM

IF YOU GO TO THE CARIBBEAN IN FEBRUARY YOU WON'T GET WARM SUMMER TEMPS UNLESS YOU GO WAY DOWN TO ARUBA,BARBADOS,ST. VINCENT, ANYTHING ELSE, YOUR GAMBLING AND SOMETIMES THE BAHAMAS IS IN THE SIXTYS THAT TIME OF YEAR. DON'T PLAN ON SAVING ANY MONEY AT ATLANTIS OR NEARBY, IT'S SPECTACULAR BUT VERY EXPENSIVE.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM

We always take our Caribbean trips in late January or early February (including the Atlantis). We have never found it too cold to swim or do water sports. Trust me, I am a sissy when it comes to being cold. If it was too chilly for these activities, I would be the first to say so.

In the Bahamas, at night is it cool enough for a light jacket. Days are gorgeous. You don't have to go to southern Caribbean islands for great weather and fun in the sun.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Hi:

1) I've been to Nassau 4 times in Feb (usually celebrating my birthday). Each time it's been great warm weather. I've even jumped over to Eleuthera and horsebacked in the surf with a towel covering my head from the sizzling mid-day heat. But, my sister's gone to Freeport during the same time period & froze her buns off, so make sure to bring a light jacket. As far as the water is concerned, I remember snorkeling and swimming with the rays, and I survived. You'll be okay if the suns shining.

2) Bring the stroller. Get a cheap one from your local store before you leave. Believe me, you'll be glad you dragged it with you!

3) If you're willing to go over the bridge into Nassau, I'd check out the Pepper Pot and the Bahamain Kitchen. The "kitchen" serves the best conch chowder and johnny cakes hands down (and good prices too). Most folks I send there are pretty happy and if the locals go, you know it's good food.

Enjoy your trip, as I'll be there in a couple of days once again enjoying my birthday :0)
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. For nigelsmom, when you are back, can you let me know if the water was warm enough? I live in Chicago and it was in the single digit weather last week. Today we got 5-12 inches of snow depending on where you live. So I think I should be able to bear 70-75 degree water. It's my 22 month old that would be cold. Hopefully, it would get even warmer.

I would definitely try out those local establishments everyone suggested.