Bahamas in Feburary - March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need the combined advice of the Fodor's Travel board members. My wife and I are looking at taking a Caribbean vacation the last week of February through the first week of March in 2005. One suggestion has been the Bahamas because it seems to have all that we want: easy travel access, diving, good dining, shopping, nice beaches, golf. However, I'm concerned about the water and air temperature during that time of year.

With all the travel experience on this board I would appreciate some feedback. What are the typical day and night time temperatures in Freeport or Nassau during late February / early March? What can we expect for water temps for swimming? Will we need wetsuits for diving? Which particular part of the Bahamas is the warmest?

Thanks to all, in advance, for your guidance. We live in a cold northern climate and I don't want to vacation in a cool climate. I want to go somewhere that most people say; "Sweater? Jacket? Why did you bring that?"
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe the Bahamas isn't that warm in Feb. Maybe 70's or so.

I would go a little further south.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:21 AM

We have been in the Bahama's at that time of year and ended up purchasing sweatshirts and wearing jeans at night. It's not exactly warm at that time of year and if you need that for your vacation, the Bahama's will not be a good choice for you. BTW, we too live in a cold part of the country, so it wasn't just us.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Agree with other posters, I've been in December to Nassau and the water has a chill to it...air temps very pleasant, evenings you'll need a jacket or sweater...for diving you'll need a wetsuit. The further south you go the warmer it is, perhaps think about Turks and Caicos.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice!!! I had heard that entering the water in February; "Will give you pause" and that isn't something I want. It was 15 degrees here yesterday morning (November 10) and because it gets so cold, so early and stays that way for so long, our two weeks in the Caribbean are precious to us. We'll look at options other than the Bahamas.

Thank you all!!!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:03 AM

We were there the last week of Feb a few years and had to buy a sweatshirt because I did not take a jacket. Take a blazer or a sweatshirt the evenings get quite chilly. Days are usually in the 70's nights in the 60's.