St Thomas USVI

Sep 14th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Stacey

St Thomas USVI

My husband and I are thinking of spending Christmas on St Thomas. In reading other comments on this site, I am a bit hesitant. I know one can get mugged in Anytown USA but I don't want to go on vacation and worry! Are the USVI "cleaner" than other Carribbean Islands? St Maarten was kinda grungy, we didn't want to leave our hotel in Jamacia, Curacao was nice. Fodors even mentions that they have a trash removal problem. Are the locals pesty as Jamacia? Any info would help!

Sep 14th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Weff

I understand your concerns Stacey but I'm sure it will be fine. I'm not a big fan of being pestered while on vacation either! It has been years since I've been to St Thomas but the Carribbean is that...cleanlieness is not first.

Sep 14th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Diane

Last year I vacationed in St. Thomas and St. John, and will be returning this November for my fourth stay. In that time I have never had a problem being pestered by venders or felt unsafe.

As a woman who frequently travels alone, I follow the same precautions that I do at home.

I take excursions in a group from the hotel or with a company recommended by a travel guide. There are many people present when shopping during the day. aFor me, safety has never been a problem.

When dining away from the hotel, I travel by taxi, and request the restaurant to call one for me so that I do not have to try to find one on the street.

The islands are too beautiful not to be enjoyed. They are picturesque and are not grungy. Relax, and have a wonderful trip.

Sep 17th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Rob

HA! St. Martin looks like Beverly Hills in comparison to St. Thomas! Don't waste your money--and go to Grand Cayman or St. Barts instead!!

Sep 17th, 2002, 04:11 AM
xxx

Hey Rob, go crawl back under your rock, you slimy scumbag.

Sep 17th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Andy

Stacey--- St. Thomas is fine- We go and rent a car and drive all over the island-

We usually stay at MARIOTT FRENCHMAN'S REEF ( or Morningstar Beach Resort) or the Ritz Carlton--

From a distance standpoint-FRENCHMAN'S REEF is closer to town to drive in for the terrifc restaurants whereas the RITZ is farther out.

Both of these are excellent choices for privacy and nice beaches.

Another great island is St.Barts- very upscale!

Sep 17th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Bucky

Be prepared for St. Thomas. I have a couple friends who live in St. Thomas and because of the hatred towards whites (which is getting worse!) are planning on moving back to the states. I would choose another island such as St. John or St. Barths, both beautiful and safe.

Sep 17th, 2002, 09:40 AM
LB

My fiance and I are traveling to St. Thomas in October. We are looking to have a quiet, romantic week. We are finalizing our hotel reservations and need help. While I know the Ritz is likely nicer than the Marriott - is it worth the extra $150 per night? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sep 17th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Stacey

Thanks for some of your candid comments! It is VERY appreciated. I dont want to go to another Jamacia and be pestered and harassed...I want to RELAX! Please, others tell me about St Thomas! Thanks and your sincerity is very appreciated.

Sep 17th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Anna

Stacey, I have to say that the tone of your post is off-putting-you come across as just another one of those whiny a** Americans who can never be pleased no matter what...if you have had grungy St Marteen and harrassment in Jamaica (afraid to leave the hotel room, of all things!!), I fail to understand why you would want to return to the Caribbean? Stay home and relax and feel safe! For your information, St Thomas is as safe as you can expect. I live across the way in the British Virgin Islands, have been to St Thomas more times than I can count (alone and with company), walked the streets of Charlotte Amalie, driven all over the island, spent time on the beaches etc and not once have I been harrassed or made to feel unsafe. Sure, there have been times while walking in the town when someone has offered to sell me stuff, like time share or a tour of some place or the other - all you have to say is "thanks but no thanks" and keep on stepping. The encounter will invariably end there - I do not consider that to be harrassment - just someone trying to earn a dollar. I've had that happen to me elsewhere - it is surely not confined to the Caribbean islands - peddlars on the streets of New York for example are famous for that sort of behaviour. I was recently in Toronto and my fiance and I were shocked at the number of people begging us on the streets. It was unbeleivable!! Did we let this bother us - no - we were polite and we moved on. While I will not deny that as with anywhere else, St Thomas does have its share of crime, there is no need to be paranoid - visitors continue to arrive by the droves in St Thomas - it still remains especially a very popular cruise ship destination. There is great shopping (it is a duty free haven), great beaches, some decent restuarants and hotels, St Johns is across the water and can be accessed by ferry for a change of pace and scenery. It could be a lovely vacation and yours for the taking. What can I say, the call is yours....

Sep 18th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Ernest

Hi,

Just spent two weeks in the USVI. One week in St. Thopmas (Ritz) and a week in St. John (Caneel). Downtown St. Thomas is like any other "working port" in the Carribean. It has it's less attractive sections as well as its tourist sections. It is not unsafe, use your common sense as you would in any mainland city. The ritz was beuatiful and we spent most evenings at places in Red Hook (hit Duffy's Love Shack before and after Dinner)

St. John on the other had is very quite and lush, not much to do but absolutely beutiful. Cruz Bay, whci his the major center of St. John is very quite and laid back and pedestrian friendly as well. We were there after dark on many nights and felt completely safe.

Relax and have agood time

Sep 18th, 2002, 11:24 AM
cdt

St. Thomas has a reputation for having a crime problem, but during our week there we didn't see any.

The big difference from Jamaica is that on St. Thomas people are not constantly accosting you to buy drugs, sex, trinkets, whatever. Totally different. When we were walking around in Charlotte Amalie, looking like tourists, a few guys asked if we needed a taxi, but that was it.

Sep 18th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Viv

Anna I don't think wanting a safe clean place to vacation is being whiny. If that is what we wanted we would book a vacation in Afghanastan but we consider safety and cleanliness important. That is one thing we noticed in Vegas and Key West that things were wonderful. Perhaps we should stay in the states though.

Sep 19th, 2002, 05:43 AM
cdt

Aruba is the perfect Caribbean destination for Americans who like Las Vegas. "Safer" and "cleaner" than most islands.

A friend tells me that Austria is the cleanest place he's ever seen.

Sep 19th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Anna

Yes Viv dear, I suppose you should stay in the States where it is oh so clean and safe!! Yeah, right! What utter nonsense!