St.Thomas/St. John's Honeymoon

May 16th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

St.Thomas/St. John's Honeymoon

I've read through a lot postings, but still need assistance. Looking for a hotel with secluded, beautiful beaches during the day, but reasonable proximity to active nightlife & dancing. Caneel Bay looks beautiful, but does St. John's have any nightlife? Are there any hotels on St. Thomas that are not too crowded or overrun with kids? Thanks
May 17th, 2003, 03:41 AM

Caneel Bay, St John has seven beautiful secluded beaches and to my way of thinking, is the ideal honeymoon spot. Its rooms are so spread out over its extensive, beautifully landscaped acreage, that there is privacy without the feeling of isolation. They do have musical entertainment nightly, but it would not be considered 'lively'.

I have been in Cruz Bay at night, and the place seemed to be really swinging; however, I had been only to a restaurant for dinner, and observed the entertainment only through the brief glimpse of a taxi ride.

If night entertainment is a priority, St Thomas would probably be a wise descision with Mariott's Morning Star being my first choice and the Ritz Carlton, my second. While these are both lovely resorts with lovlier rooms, in my opinion, neither can compare to the beauty and the beaches of Caneel.

Another option might be to ferry over to St. Thomas from St. John. It might be a little bit of a hasslem but it could be an adventure.

Hope this helps.
May 18th, 2003, 11:34 AM

It sounds like you would be happier on STT. You will have more choices for breakfast and dinner and it is more lively. I think Marriott Morningstar may give you the things you are looking for. Not to mention that they recently upgraded (6 million) and it's built right on the white sands.
May 19th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I'll look into Marriott Morning Star.
May 20th, 2003, 07:40 PM

No, no, no. . . Repeat after me - NOTHING Marriott offers in the Caribbean compares to Caneel Bay. If you can afford it - do it. And I stay at Marriott resorts a lot with rewards.

Now for the nightlife question. There is nightlife on St. John. Usually one place each night but because it is such a small and friendly island you'll clue in fast to where. If you feel the urge one night - take the ferry to Red Hook (St. Thomas) and party for a while at Duffy's Love Shack.

Happy Honeymoon!