Aruba bound! Who's visited????

May 17th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Aruba bound! Who's visited????

Hi we are making plans for an Aruba vacation next year. We are two families traveling together.(kids 8-11years old)Has anyone stayed at the Marriott? Also, did you get any vaccinations before traveling to Aruba?
Thanks.
May 17th, 2003, 05:42 AM
caribtraveler

Hi there..you do not need vaccinations to go to Aruba. You won't see the poverty conditions that exist on some of the other islands.
I didn't stay at the Marriott so can't help you there.
You'll have a great time. Aruba has nice water.
Don't forget to use your sunscreen. There's a constant gentle breeze that makes you forget the sun is still beating down hard on you.

May 17th, 2003, 06:26 AM

If you type Aruba Marriott into the text search box you'll find dozens of recent comments about it.
May 17th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!
Anyone else with an opinion on Aruba?
May 18th, 2003, 03:29 AM

Stay at the Hyatt. Although the rooms are small, you will never be in them because you will be either laying at the huge (but not crowded even at Christmas) pool, waterslide, A CLEANER BEACH THAN THE MARRIOTT, the service is better, and they have a game room for the kids (with sofas,tv's, billiards, ping pong, smoothies, for free) and they have Bingo games during the day (with jackpots up to 200$) and much for for kids. I also took my kids (8 & 11) and I barely saw them!
May 18th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

ArubaNo1,
We are locked into the Marriott because of Marriott award points.....Have you ever been in the Marriott? We are hoping we have chosen a nice vacation spot. I know that Hyatt is generally a better chain, but we are traveling with another family and they must go to Marriott. So, we are going there also.. Any comments? One more question....I have been researching the islands and have been to a few. This other family has never been, and I wanted to chose a safe island with good water and a nice beach with decent food. I seem to find this all in Aruba. I am concerned about the windy factor. You have chosen screen name ArubaNo.1 so apparently you are a big fan. Any comments? Thanks...
May 18th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Hi, we have not stayed at the Marriott but we stayed at the Holiday Inn close by. We acutally went to the Marriott while we there because we met another couple on a jeep safari and they were staying there. We went to the Marriott and had dinner with them one night. It seemed very nice and very clean however we did not see the inside of the rooms. I did see the beach and it was beautiful. Hope this helps. Also the couple that were staying there loved it.
May 18th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks April!
May 18th, 2003, 11:02 AM

You'll be fine at the Marriott, there is nothing to worry about. The Marriott is larger than the Hyatt and it has lots of actvities also, you will be able to walk along the beach and see some of the other nearby hotels.

Aruba is a safe, fun island with great water for swimming and relaxing. We'll be returning for our 3rd visit with our kids. The wind is there, and some months are windier than others, but it really just helps you stay cooler in a very hot climate.
May 18th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Edye......
May 18th, 2003, 05:37 PM

When you're in Aruba, make sure you rent a jeep and see the other side of the island. The kids will enjoy it as will the adults, that's where the Natural Bridge and the Natural Pool is.There's also lots of rocks and boulders to play on as well as crashing waves to look at. Don't forget to bring plenty of water for everyone, it gets mighty hot out there, even with that wonderful breeze, yes it's wonderful despite what some people say. I can't imagine houncomfortable it would be if there was no breeze,look how close you are to the equator
May 18th, 2003, 07:21 PM

With children that age all you need is a varity of pools and beaches,if they like the beach. The other side of the island is real hot and baby beach is not worth the ride.We were there 3 years in a row, tried everything some good some not. Fishing can be nice,but make sure they have bottem fishing poles,its kind of rough to deep sea for the kids. La Cabana has a nice pool across from the lobby in the suite area,best happy hour.Have fun!
May 20th, 2003, 06:44 AM

We stayed at the Hyatt when we visited Aruba and if/when we go back, I would seriously consider the Marriott instead. The pool was crowded (and this was during the summer which is not in season) and I didn't find the staff very considerate. I've stayed at Marriotts before and always been very happy.

That said, here are some restaurant picks. El Gaucho for steak (it's an Argentinian steakhouse and quite an experience), Boonoonoos and Chez Mathilde. Have a great time and be sure to listend to warnings about wearing lots of sunblock!
May 20th, 2003, 07:07 PM

We stayed at the marriot less than 2 years ago. Spacious rooms and less crowded because at the end of the hotel chain. The beach and water by the hotel was completely clean. The hyatt has very small balconies, while the marriot is large.
May 21st, 2003, 02:54 AM
Aja

We went last year and stayed at the Tamarijn/Divi Divi and had a excellent time. I'm wanting to go back real soon.