St. Thomas Question

Jul 10th, 2019, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

St. Thomas Question

Hello call me crazy due to hurricane season but my husband and I just booked a week in August. I am not interested in car rental due to the driving changes from what we are use to in U.S We are staying at a Wyndham on the East Side. I am wondering if we should use the hotel transportation which I believe is $80.00 rd trip or utilize taxi service. Thanks for any advice.
Jul 12th, 2019, 11:24 AM

Are you staying at Margaritaville? A shared taxi should be $11 per person plus luggage from the airport. If you don't have a car, taxis charge per person, so add something like $16 round trip to Red Hook for dinner for two. It adds up quickly.
Jul 13th, 2019, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Yes we are. I am concerned about the driving on the other side of road. We always rent a car and my husband wants to but I am not comfortable with doing so. Thank you for the information.
Jul 14th, 2019, 12:34 AM

Hundreds of thousands of Americans successfully drive on the 'wrong' side of the road every year. I'm in England right now and have been.

Let your husband rent a car. It takes just a few miles to get used to things.
Jul 14th, 2019, 11:54 AM

I've seen Americans driving on the wrong side of the road in the Caribbean, most recently in T&C last year. One of them decided that they should stop half way around the roundabout, for no apparent reason. Understanding the rules of the road might help, as well as getting used to the other side.
Jul 16th, 2019, 06:21 AM
J62

IIRC cars on St. Thomas are left side drive cars (like the mainland US), but drive on the left side of the road so the driver is on the outside of the lane which makes it confusing. With no cars around it's easy to pull out into the wrong lane.
A skilled driver should have no problem understanding and following the rules and having a rental car provides a great deal of freedom.
Jul 16th, 2019, 06:36 AM

You get used to driving on the left rather quickly, so I wouldn't let that deter me. However, I really do not like to drive at night on St. Thomas (roads are windy and often poorly lit and signposted), so you have to decide. One thing to keep in mind is that Margaritaville isn't close to much anything else except for Coki Beach, so you do have to rely on taxis to get around, and that does add up. If you assume two round-trips per day, then that's about $64 a day ($8 each person each way). A car rental is usually cheaper than that, but I would caution to check on parking before making a final decision. It's a timeshare, but I don't know if they charge for parking. The resort does have its own shuttle, but it's limited. Their quote for airport transportation is outrageous; say no to that.
Jul 23rd, 2019, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes we own in Aruba and I am using my timeshare for this place so that makes sense. I am still up in the air about the rental car I have time to decide. Thanks for your thoughtful answers. I guess we will be spending quite a bit on taxis.
Sep 1st, 2019, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Just to come back and let you all know we did experience Dorian for a day. It was just a day our of our vacation. We did rent a car and my husband drove and we did just fine. We really didn't go our in the p.m. as the roads are a tad bit a total hair pin. We did go to St. John. What a lovely pristine island. A beach lovers dream. I survived the driving and the hurricane. Thanks for your inputs.
Sep 2nd, 2019, 05:24 AM

I'm glad everything worked out for you and Dorian was not a deal breaker.
Sep 29th, 2019, 08:37 AM

I lived there for 2 years and I believe they still have a local Safari Bus that pick people up and from I remember it was free or very little money.

Ask the local residents if the Safari Bus is still active.
Sep 30th, 2019, 09:41 AM

The safari is $1 or $2, depending on the route. It goes in a one-way circle along the main road and is not very convenient for visitors unless they want to go to Sapphire, Smith Bay, or Red Hook. Also it doesn't run at night. The OP did rent a car and found it not too bad.
Sep 30th, 2019, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the update!
Sep 30th, 2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by avprog View Post
I lived there for 2 years and I believe they still have a local Safari Bus that pick people up and from I remember it was free or very little money.

Ask the local residents if the Safari Bus is still active.
Are replying to the OP? If so their trip is over . . . see post #9
Sep 30th, 2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by diann24 View Post
We did rent a car and my husband drove and we did just fine. We really didn't go our in the p.m. as the roads are a tad bit a total hair pin.
Glad the car worked out -- told ya' it was no big deal

You truly dodged a bullet with Dorian.
Sep 30th, 2019, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
Are replying to the OP? If so their trip is over . . . see post #9
Yeah, just noticed, sorry.