Search

Car in St. Thomas?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car in St. Thomas?

My family of four is heading to St. Thomas next week. Is it best to rent a car? It looks to me that just getting from the airport to our hotel & back we could spend almost as much in taxi fees as we would spend by renting a car for the entire week. Is my logic & math correct? What do most people do? We're staying the Marriott, if that makes any difference. Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Hi There,

Yes, if two people take two rides a day, you will spend more on taxi fare than a rental car, plus with the car you have the ability to go where you want to go, when you want to go. It is a great way to get to know the island and see lots of things that the 'average' tourist will never see.

My recommendation is to rent a car. It will take you 5 minutes to get used to driving on the left.

Schultz
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:31 AM

You really would be better renting a car. My husband and I were in St Thomas last March. We decided to rent and that was a good decision! We were able to jump in the car and go any where we wanted when we wanted. We also stayed at the Marriott, nice. And do make sure you stay to the left. Our rental car was kinda beat up (dents all over it but it got us where we wanted). Most of the cars looked like that. You should take the ferry over to St. John and ride around there. If you plan to bring back any liquor go to the k-mart they will box it up for you and it is cheaper than other places we went to. You should also do the snorkle trip with Stormy Patrol out of Red Hook. Takes you to the Baths Virgin gorda. it was so much fun!!!! Hope you have a wonderful trip wish we were going back!!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tilly2354. How did you find out about & arrange your Baths excursion to with Stormy Patrol? Do they have a web site?
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Hi, hope I'm not too late on the info for Stormy Petrel 1 800 866-5714 (Day Marina Services in Red Hook at the American Yacht Club Marina. We went the day before our snorkling trip just to find out where it was, we had to walk around the pier to find it but anyone there will beable to tell you which pier is theirs.on-line www.charterboat.vi/stormypetrel.html.
Tilly
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tilly. It looks like renting a car is the way to go. I sent Stormy Petrel an e-mail to see if I can arrange a reservation. Are the snorkle trips "kid friendly"? We have a 14 and an 11 year old, and don't want to go on a cruise with an excessive amount of rum punch flowing. Also, does Stormy Petrel provide snorkle gear?
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 06:53 AM

The kids will have a Great time!!! The equipment is included. Didn't have rum punch but I guess they can make it, we had a couple beers after snorkling on the way back to Red Hook. At the Baths where you hike thru , you'll come to a ledge that is about 10 feet up and you can jump off into the ocean NOT SCARY at all or you can walk down. You can also bring snacks for them, but they do stop for lunch.
tilly