Car rental in St Thomas

Sep 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Car rental in St Thomas

Do i need to rent a car in St Thomas? How about bringing the labtop to not get too behind on work? Would it be absolutely a waste of energy?
Sep 14th, 2007, 02:36 AM

depends on where you are staying and what you wish to do while on the island. and do you mind driving on the left?
i personally eschew the doing of any work on vacation which is after all defined as: leisure time away from work devoted to rest or pleasure
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM

"need" is not really the word but it, IMO, is advantageous to rent a car. Taxi rides are per person and can add up quickly depending how much time you spend away from your hotel but it is good to have a "desiginated driver" at times you choose to party. Driving on the left is not hard and you adjust quickly - right hand turns can be the only challenge.

Totally up to you about the laptop. There are cyber cafes if you don't want the hassle of lugging it along and some hotels do have them available in the lobby for a charge. I did take it once figuring I might catch up and I didn't use it at all and it was a total waste!
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:37 AM

How far in advance should you reserve a car? We will in STT week of Thanksgiving.
Sep 14th, 2007, 09:55 AM

better sooner than later ... Thanksgiving week is a very busy week on the island. If you want to use the car ferry between STT and STJ make sure your agency will let you (Think it is Hertz that does not). There are some rentals you can pick up at the airport or some of the companies will deliver it to the hotel once you've settled in.
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM

We had trouble finding free wi-fi on St. Thomas in June.

They definitely have it at the restaurant Kokopelli's which is in the Cost-U-Less parking lot, next to the movie theater. So we used it there.

We also found a couple of "hot spots" in the parking lot of Havensight Mall... but we weren't consistently able to find it there... it was hit and miss.

Of course, it was available for a fee at the Marriott where we were staying.

We didn't use the computer for work... but when our camera died, I used it to ask my "internet travel friends" where the best place was to get a new camera in the area!

Carole
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Oh, by the way... we rented our car from Dependable Car Rental and were quite satisfied.

http://www.dependablecar.com/