St. Maarten Day Trips: St. Barths, Saba?

Jan 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

St. Maarten Day Trips: St. Barths, Saba?

My wife and I will be in St. Maarten from 2-11 Feb 2007. We're staying in the Simpson Bay area. We want to do at least a couple of day trips to nearby islands. St. Barths is on our agenda for midweek. Tentatively, I've requested a reservation for Voyager II from Oyster Point to St. Barths. Is this the best boat to St. Barths? I could not request a reservation to Saba via this company's website, but is a reservation to Saba necessary? Are these two islands good for first-time visitors? Both sound like they offer wonderful scenery. St. Barths seems to offer superb shopping, gorgeous beaches, and great dining. Thanks for advice!
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I can address the St. Barths aspect. We did the trip from Oyster Point to St. Barths in Oct. The ride over there is very very choppy (45 min long) and people were getting physically sick. Once you get there, it is beautiful and they provide you with a tour of the island lunch and some time on the beach. The ride back isn't nearly as bad, but it's still a long ride. However, I would not let this deter you from going. It's worth it once you get over there.
Jan 17th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Hi there -- we're going to be in St. Martin the same week as you! We're making a trip to Anguilla -- in fact, it looks so beautiful, we decided to spend the last few nights of our trip there! It looks like a 20 minutes ferry ride from St. Martin.

Have a great trip!!!
Jan 17th, 2007, 10:08 AM

We did not have a res. for Saba, but we were not there high season. Where they let us off the boat in Saba, it was quite a hike to the little town. But we planned on hiking so we didn't mind and had lots of water (and snacks) with us. We hiked to the top and it was beautiful! The best view! Really a great island if you want to feel outdoorsy and get some exersize. We also had a great lunch as there are several places to eat.

Have fun!

Sarah
Jan 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

I have reserved a roundtrip excursion on Voyager from St. Martin Oyster Pond to St. Barths, and I have arranged for a rental car to be picked up on the dock on St. Barths. The website sbhonline.com (Insiders' Guide to St. Barths) was extremely helpful. On another day, I have reserved a roundtrip excursion that includes lunch and a taxi tour of the island on Saba. This is booked through Aqua Mania Adventures and departs from the marina of the Pelican Resort in Simpson Bay.

We are very excited about our upcoming trip to St. Maarten/St. Martin, and we appreciate the feedback about day trips to nearby islands. Anguilla certainly sounds appealing, but we may have to work that trip in at another time.

We hope everyone will have a wonderful time during their visits to this lovely corner of the world!
Jan 20th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Hey, we are going to be in St. Maarten the same week. We are going to go to Anguila for a day trip andy suggestions on the best and cheapes way to get there and what to do once we are there?
Thanks..
Jan 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM

the best way to get to Anguilla is take the ferry voer. It runs from Marigot on a regualr basis. $12.00 each way plus departure tax.... a 20 mminute trip. what most people do when they get to Anguilla is hire a taxi and go to Shoal Bay.. relax, swim, have lunch, and then come back..

Search this Thread