Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > 50th birthday trip with great golf and great beach

50th birthday trip with great golf and great beach

Jan 20th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

50th birthday trip with great golf and great beach

My husband is working on plans for a trip for my 50th birthday. We will probably make this a 4 or 5 night trip, will be flying out of the DC area, and my top priorities are a great hotel with great golf (even though I am not a great golfer!) and a wonderful beach for long walks. Looking at April (after Easter),and would love to hear your recommendations!
Jan 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM

With only a 4 or 5 night stay (meaning you'll only have 2 or 3 full days on the island I recommend you visit somewhere you can reach non-stop from DC to maximize your "time on island". You can waste a full day getting to destinations when you have to make connecting flights or ferries. The same whole true for your return flight. Puerto Rico has many fine "golf resort" hotels that are located on very nice beaches within an hour or so drive from the San Juan airport. Or you can choose from numerous beach front resorts in and around San Juan that have access to nearby golf courses (not actually on hotel property.

You'll also fine very good golf on the Dominican Republic and Jamaica. Take a look at Casa De campo in the the Dominican Republic it's a very upscale resort with one of the best golf courses in the Caribbean. Another idea is to choose a resort on St. Thomas where you can play on the Mahogany Run Golf Course. If you can reach Barbados non-stop from DC check out Sandy Lane. This is a premier resort with a top golf course.

The Four Seasons on Nevis is another resort that will fit your description of a "great hotel" that on a beach where you can walk for several miles and it has a Tom Fazio designed golf Course with spectacular views of the Caribbean. You can't get to this island without connecting through San Juan, St. Martin or Antigua so you'll spend almost a full day getting there and another full day getting back. You might want to save it for a trip when you have a bit more time.
Jan 20th, 2007, 01:49 PM

You may also want to consider Bermuda. It is a very short and relatively cheap flight out of Baltimore on JetBlue. Great beaches and excellent golf.
Jan 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Try Sandy Lane on Barbados.
Jan 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Carambola Beach and golf in St. Croix.
No passport neede. Safe and evertyone is friendly.

Great beach at resort.

Search this Thread