Search

Casa de Campo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casa de Campo

How would you rate Casa de Campo as far as a luxury resort?

I want to enjoy playing a challenging golf course while my wife can enjoy nice beaches. Is Casa de Campo the best in the Carribean or are their other resorts better suited to my needs?
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 03:49 AM

Teeth of the Dog is a stunning looking course, but I don't play golf, so I'm not the best to offer that kind of advice! The beach at Caso de Campo is very small. It's pretty, but it's not the nicest beach I've seen at a golf resort. While the resort is huge, there is only the one small public beach.

The villa was very nice; it had a good location and was huge and attractive. It definitely had the feeling of a rental unit - most of the walls were bare, and the bed linens were substandard. The villa staff, a housekeeper and butler, were excellent.

The resort's restaurants are very good, and the people working there were very nice. Apparently the resort has changed some of their billing policies, and some of the things we thought were included (beer and bottled water for instance), weren't.

My FIL, an avid golfer, has been visiting Caso de Campo for 20 or so years, so it definitely appeals as a golf resort. For a beach person, it's probably not the best choice. I enjoyed our stay very much, but would probably not return on my own.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response, you pretty much confirmed what I thought.
I liked the Hyatt in Dorado, Puerto Rico, the beach was a few steps outside the unit and golf was great, but they have closed till I don't know when.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Consider the Four Seasons Nevis. Gorgeous golf course (can't speak to how challenging it is) and a beautiful beach. Beach is darker colored sand but very lush and tropical. Nevis is also a wonderful little island in its own right for exploration.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Hyatt Dorado is closed permanently, but a lot of resorts would fill your needs well. I think Casa de Campo is very good but probably not in the top tier of Caribbean resorts. Still, it's very nice. The golf courses, however, are top notch and among the best in the Caribbean. I might suggest you take a look at the Punta Cana Resort, which also has great golf .. just stick with the most expensive room categories because the resort is otherwise fairly mid-range.

I would certainly second the recommendation of the Four SEason in Nevis, but the warning about the beach is very true. The beaches on Nevis just aren't those powdery white sand.

Sandy Lane on Barbados, which is in another category altogether in terms of price, is surely among the best resorts in the Caribbean and has some truly excellent courses.

Since most islands are not so large, you can stay even at a good resort that doesn't have its own course and still get in a round any day you wish with little difficulty.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 03:52 AM

We loved the Four Seasons Nevis. Although not powdery white sand, the beach is gorgeous. The palm trees line the beach, and there is a breathtaking view of the mountain facing away from the water.

The beach at Four Seasons Exuma has white sand and electric blue water. We enjoyed this beach very much.